Member question? antenna? low signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member question? antenna? low signal

I´m newer on this forum but a older FlightRadar visitor.
    I adquired a ads-b dongle and maked my profile to fedder the site.
    I´m a F-SBJP3 , in Brazi, Paraiba, João Pessoa.
    I want to talk, changed email and experience, with de F-SBJP1, because his fedder is so best and i think he can transmit his experience to me.
    My homemade 1090mhz Antenna is located on top side off my eight level build but the range off my dongle isn´t good, longer.

Sorry my poor english.
    Thanks!

Hugo Varani
    F-SBJP3

PU7HRV

If you have a dongle like the one shown in the first post here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 - then you probably have a 'T-' code. It is very difficult to get a 'T-' receiver to show when there is a well installed 'F-' receiver in the area.

If you have a FlightRadar24 box
    then you have an 'F' receiver, These should all have similar performance if they are installed the same way. If someone else is out performing you - then you need to look at improving your antenna location - more height / less obstructions ... put some photographs up showing us what you have and how it's installed.

Comment

Originally posted by hugovarani View Post
      I´m newer on this forum but a older FlightRadar visitor.
      I adquired a ads-b dongle and maked my profile to fedder the site.
      I´m a F-SBJP3 , in Brazi, Paraiba, João Pessoa.
      Hugo you are confused about airport flight feeder designations. F- are those feeders who FR24 provides the equipment. The T- designation before the airport code is for those who use their own equipment like dongles. From your description your correct designation is T-SBJP3.

My homemade 1090mhz Antenna is located on top side off my eight level build but the range off my dongle isn´t good, longer.
      Let's assume your homemade antenna is working but there are taller buildings or leafy trees within a radius of your eight level building. Where that is the case your antenna will not "SEE" the aircraft on the far side of the obstruction. Leaves on trees absorb the small ads-b radio waves from the aircraft.

Antenna coax attenuates signal depending on the type of coax and its length. If you run 100 feet of common rg59 it has a 16+ DB loss. If your homemade antenna produces a 5 DB gain, all is lost in the coax. The only way to overcome this loss is use a preamp at the antenna to boost the signal.

If you are using the RTL1090 software, get the latest version which has a graphical map which will show you what aircraft are being detected and resolved. To communicate with other knowledgeable users join their Yahoo users group.

If you are just a part time feeder instead of a 24 hour operation of your station you will probably not see your tracked planes on the FR24 map. I couldn't find your station listed in the filters. There must be a problem with your setup. You can see on your account settings the time of your last upload if everything is configured correctly. The FR24 feeder program uploads every 5 seconds. The upload time is GMT+1.

It's been my experience that homemade antennas don't come close to the performance of commercial antennas. I use a Bulgarian antenna and have used it as my reference.

Good Luck!

John

T-RPVD1

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Comment

Yes! my chinese dongle is the E820T
        I don´t want be superior then F-SBJP1.
        I just want it work.
        In addition, i use the FR24 feeder and the VIRTUAL RADAR SERVER to view the planes about me.

Comment

Thank you!
          Is a chinese dongle R820T!
          T-SBJP3

What kind a preamp is good to be install on my cable antenna? I will install on initial ou end off cable? Close to the antenna or close to the dongle?
          This is pic of my homemade antenna before I take up to top off my build. 20140204_202341.jpgfr24.jpg

Comment

What kind a preamp is good to be install on my cable antenna? I will install on initial ou end off cable? Close to the antenna or close to the dongle?
            This is pic of my homemade antenna before I take up to top off my build. [ATTACH=CONFIG]3312[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3313[/ATTACH]
            Hugo, look at this link. http://forum.planefinder.net/threads...iy-antenna.23/

It uses a capacitor and an inductor and power supply for use with a dongle and a colinear antenna like yours.

Note the model number of the preamp and search for it on ebay.

John

Comment

Thank You!
              I will be try to do this and tell us!

Comment

Is that a collinear antenna or something else?

See http://www.balarad.net/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUYdCPFXXs

The suggestion is to end the collinear with a shorted 1/4 wave stub at the top (5.5cm) - though this might cause problems if you want to add an amplifier later (probably not needed if you use a low loss coaxial cable)

then it needs to be mounted vertically where it has a clear view to the horizon all around.

From your pictures, the mountains will restrict that view, but you should be able to see 200-300km out to sea.

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                  Is that a collinear antenna or something else?

See http://www.balarad.net/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUYdCPFXXs

The suggestion is to end the collinear with a shorted 1/4 wave stub at the top (5.5cm) - though this might cause problems if you want to add an amplifier later (probably not needed if you use a low loss coaxial cable)

then it needs to be mounted vertically where it has a clear view to the horizon all around.

From your pictures, the mountains will restrict that view, but you should be able to see 200-300km out to sea.
                  here is the picture from forum

wbpl.jpg

I made one with NO amplifier so there is no need for capacitor...just elements...works fine
                  after connecting elements, inserted in PNT tube and sealed the ends
                  Last edited by Amper; 2014-02-05, 07:58.
                  For official support use Contact Form

Comment

I've tried a lot of these methods.fr24 box the most stable and powerful method.
                    Last edited by W4lRon; 2014-02-05, 08:36.
                    F-LTBJ1 & N-LTBJ1 & T-LTBJ1 Izmir / Turkey

F-LTAN1 Konya / Turkey

F-LTCS1 SanliUrfa / Turkey

F-LTFJ3 Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport / Turkey

Comment

Fr24 box is made to be radar . And nothing else. Dongle is made for Dvb-t. It gives good results as radar.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Amper; 2014-02-05, 08:47.

Comment

It depends where your interest lies...
                        * If you want to feed to provide information about the aircraft in your area and the primary interest is in the aircraft - then it is best to try to get the FR24 box.
                        * If your interest is in the technical challenge of building the receiver and antenna - then the dongle etc. is the way to go.
                        Last edited by peterhr; 2014-02-05, 09:24. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                          It depends where your interest lies...
                          * If you want to feed to provide information about the aircraft in your area and the primary interest is in the aircraft - then it is best to try to get the FR24 box.
                          * If your interest is in the technical challenge of building the receiver and antenna - then the dongle etc. is the way to go.
                          100% agree, but there is no way to compare FR24 box with DIY as W4lRon did, and FR24 box is not something you can buy.
                          I do have FR24 box, but I wanted to do it myself, so i made one more radar with dongle+ above mentioned antenna
                          Last edited by Amper; 2014-02-05, 09:48.

Comment

I've tried so hard to make dongle.dongle is very difficult to provide for the necessary supplies here and costly i agree 100% with the ones
                            F-LTBJ1 & N-LTBJ1 & T-LTBJ1 Izmir / Turkey

F-LTAN1 Konya / Turkey

F-LTCS1 SanliUrfa / Turkey

F-LTFJ3 Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport / Turkey

Comment

Working...
                            X