Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeding from a raspberry pi

Hi all,
    Just a question. I have several raspberry Pis at home that where used for hosting a few websites. One of these is now no longer needed and I want to put the little guy to some use. Is there a way of using the raspberry pi to help feed the website at all and if so has anyone done it and what extra hardware would I need?

Hi,

there is a thread at the hardward thread about it. Please see http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24

the first 10 pages are the main ones to read through and it contains set up instructions using a R820T dongle.

Comment

just ordered this:

now need an arial to test with

Comment

Handy with a soldering iron and coax? Theres an antenna thread too!
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

No soldering required, but the antenna connection to the dongle is MCX ... you'll need an adapter or mcx pigtail - look on ebay

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

Can I use an old sky dish? We have virgin media now and it's still on the outside of the house ....

Comment

dish is not a good idea
              there is a topic on forum how to make 2$ antenna in 25min.

Here is the topic: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...1-best-antenna

OR

Tutorial: http://www.balarad.net/
              Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUYdCPFXXs
              Last edited by Amper; 2013-12-05, 00:16.
              For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Originally posted by david cummings View Post
                Can I use an old sky dish? We have virgin media now and it's still on the outside of the house ....
                A sky satellite disk is very focused on a group of satellites 23000 miles above the Indian ocean. the Satellites go around the world in orbit like the way you could spin a weight on a string around your head and at 23000 miles they go around the world once in 24 hours ... and the world goes around in 24 hours so they appear not to move (a geo-stationary orbit). The dish focus is as tight as you'd need on a torch to pick out a front door at 100 yards.

To pick up the planes you really want an aerial that picks up signals from all directions with a clear view to the horizon. Roofs will block the signal as will trees full of leaves in the summer (they are just like big bags of water).

So think of it as a football (soccer ball for those in the USA) shaped aerial detection zone.

Now we need to modify that shape because we don't get planes flying underground or flying regularly over about 43000 feet (just over 8 miles up). But if they are 8 miles up we are on the pilots horizon when they are 250 miles away (400Km). So if we can squash our 'detection' football into a flying saucer shape so it's most sensitive sideways so we try pick up those planes at up to 250 miles away, we're on a winner.

Best use for the sky dish - connect a freesat box to it in the bedroom or kitchen.

All this stuff is fairly easy once you get started.
                Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-05, 07:50.

Comment

Okies so I cant use it lol. might be able to make use of the cables they put in then rather than cut more holes into the house!

Comment

Originally posted by david cummings View Post
                    Okies so I cant use it lol. might be able to make use of the cables they put in then rather than cut more holes into the house!
                    I'd be ever so tempted to get a new length of co-ax and temporary squish it through a window 'till you're ready to install something permanent - the odds are both ends of the down leads sky put in are in the wrong place to do much with the pi.

Comment

I have the pi in question behind the TV set any way don't think my Mrs knows it's even there or what it does. So that's in the right place. Now then I just need to get her out of the house for a few hours. .... now when is the baby due ..... mmmmmmm baby's birth or setting this up close call mmmmm (jk)

Comment

Working...
                      X