Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know about? - BeagleBoard BeagleBone Black and Radarcape

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone know about? - BeagleBoard BeagleBone Black and Radarcape

    The Beagleboard Black is more powerful than the Raspberry Pi for similar cost (and lower power consumption) - http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black

    The Radarcape is an ADS-B reciever that piggybacks onto the Beagleboard to do ADSB
    http://www.modesbeast.com/radarcape-weblog.html
    http://radarcape.bplaced.net/wiki/doku.php

    anyone know about availability (& pricing )?

  • #2
    You may notice the Radarscape looks awful familiar to an uploaded pic of a certain supplied-for-use box from a certain website not to dis-similar from this one..
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by peterhr View Post
      The Beagleboard Black is more powerful than the Raspberry Pi for similar cost (and lower power consumption) - http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black

      The Radarcape is an ADS-B reciever that piggybacks onto the Beagleboard to do ADSB
      http://www.modesbeast.com/radarcape-weblog.html
      http://radarcape.bplaced.net/wiki/doku.php

      anyone know about availability (& pricing )?
      Please see:

      http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...h-No-price-yet

      http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-MLAT-receiver

      I discovered the radarcape when I ventured into FR24 end of last year. The info has been the same essentially. No luck on further info about when gunter wants to sell it/or perhaps sell via FR24?

      I think it is still a long way before FR24 releases the receiver for sale but I might be wrong and the receiver will be sold to EU only initially hen launched. 41south seems interested so perhaps you can contact him when the product is launched.
      Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-08-25, 13:17.

      Comment


      • #4
        I was coming at it from the other angle, that as an add-on board to a beaglebone.

        The beaglebone black sells for about 45USD (that's cheaper than the slower original beaglebone) - so if the FR24 receiver is €450ish - the addon board will probably beyond where my hand will reach in my pocket.

        The boxed one has a nice case though - shame it's not waterproof - or more like the cases used at http://www.open-mesh.com/ for their wifi stuff.

        I bet the beaglebone black could be used with the RTL dongle though
        Last edited by peterhr; 2013-08-25, 15:33.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by peterhr View Post
          I was coming at it from the other angle, that as an add-on board to a beaglebone.

          The beaglebone black sells for about 45USD (that's cheaper than the slower original beaglebone) - so if the FR24 receiver is €450ish - the addon board will probably beyond where my hand will reach in my pocket.

          The boxed one has a nice case though - shame it's not waterproof - or more like the cases used at http://www.open-mesh.com/ for their wifi stuff.

          I bet the beaglebone black could be used with the RTL dongle though
          You are asking the right question. Perhaps that you have to figure out yourself or with a mate who has some programming/engineering background. good luck.
          Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-08-25, 22:56.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
            You are asking the right question. Perhaps that you have to figure out yourself or with a mate who has some programming/engineering background. good luck.
            That'll be me then
            I'll have to buy a beagleboard

            Comment


            • #7
              The Beaglebone Black is 4x as powerful as the R Pi. The old Beaglebone is about twice as fast as the r Pi. I don't have the links handy though, but this is what I recall. The Angstrom Linux you get with the Beaglebone Black is about 10% more efficient than Ubuntu but twice the pain in the arse. ;-) Actually Angstrom is OK. It is just a research project since it has some nuances.

              I've got rtlsdr and dump1090 running on the Bone. I'm working on getting systemd set up t start the Bone then will start a thread.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi gariac,

                Have a look at this thread and look specifically to blort's post. The software decodeadsb now supports sdr rtl dongle and if you are interested you can send blort an email to test things out.

                Thread link: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...r24-without-pc

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gariac View Post
                  The Beaglebone Black is 4x as powerful as the R Pi. The old Beaglebone is about twice as fast as the r Pi. I don't have the links handy though, but this is what I recall. The Angstrom Linux you get with the Beaglebone Black is about 10% more efficient than Ubuntu but twice the pain in the arse. ;-) Actually Angstrom is OK. It is just a research project since it has some nuances.

                  I've got rtlsdr and dump1090 running on the Bone. I'm working on getting systemd set up t start the Bone then will start a thread.
                  Good work, there is already a (short) thread that spun off from the RPI thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ght=beaglebone that showed that it does work but the power to the dongle was marginal when using the noo-elec dongle (the longer one) - the dongle needed to go into a powered USB hub, I was intending to have another go using the small square dongle which seems not to get so warm - so presumably uses less power.
                  Last edited by peterhr; 2014-02-27, 18:35.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The beagleboneblack is not pin for pin compatable with the normal beaglebone so the radarcape will not work on it, as the radarcape uses some of the pins that the HDMI (possibly others too) that the begleboneblack uses. From what i have read its possible to claim some of the pins back but not all.

                    So it would mean that their would have to be two versions of hardware and maintain two firmwares to be maintained. So unitl there is a need to change over i.e. no more beaglebones i cant see it happening.
                    T-EGLF8

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X