X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by leosedf View Post
    Hey fungus, that's a discone on the left? You use it for scanning?
    The guy wires seem to be too close for the higher antenna mast, if they were more open it might have been there.
    Mine is still on construction but i'll take a few pics soon.
    Yes it is and was used for my basestation originally. I wouldnt recommend it as its a 25-1300MHz (from memory broad range thing which I've found excellent for airband but isnt ideal for our use on 1090MHz). That's another story entirely. The guy wires were at the required 10ft spacing on the 1090SJ but is somewhat distorted by the pic angle. Perhaps though 3 sets of guy wires would have helped a great deal.

Regards,
    Gregg

Forgot to add, there is also a tuned airband antenna that cant be seen in the pic on that mast with the discone.
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-07-09, 12:53. Reason: additional info and to reflect post being in correct place

Leave a comment:

• leosedf
    replied
    Hey fungus, that's a discone on the left? You use it for scanning?
    The guy wires seem to be too close for the higher antenna mast, if they were more open it might have been there.
    Mine is still on construction but i'll take a few pics soon.

Leave a comment:

• fungus
    replied
    What not to do with your setup

I thought I'd kick this off with something a bit different. A what not to do with your setup as a warning to others about what can go wrong. My setup was going well, I thought, with a mast (capably)? installed by myself and my son approx 7-8 or so metres high, range out to in some directions just over 200nm (bearing in mind I live in something of a hollow). Post (existing treated pine log approx. 8ft high which surround our rear garden/fernery) firmly anchored to the ground with concrete and a few added extra star pickets, and 2 sets of guy wires up the mast. All was good. I was a happy little uploader. A 1090SJ mk2 on top, amplifier mounted on mast and SBS-1 basestation receiver at the wall just inside the house. Cable type etc doesnt matter now- it no longer exists as it was blown down during a storm late last year by a little over 100km/h winds and has been replaced (see pics below, pre and post storm). It's an awful feeling to plug your receiver back into the external antenna after a storm has past and find no aircraft displaying at all. I'll cover the new instal etc in a later post.

PRE STORM.jpgPOST STORM.jpg

Dont let this happen to you, avoid dodgey brothers installs wherever possible. Get a professional if and when necessary.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-07-09, 12:52. Reason: to reflect post being in correct place

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    started a topic FR24 Feeder Hardware Discussion Thread

FR24 Feeder Hardware Discussion Thread

Area to ask posters questions/help about their setups and suggestions from this thread
    http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-FR24-hardware
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2013-07-05, 01:29.
Working...
X