Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I understand it right, that this is a box that you intend to recycle to become a FR receiver?
    Last edited by RIN67630; 2016-03-27, 13:02.

Comment

Very nice build K5TED.

Comment

Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
        That is a mighty neat build! Care to elaborate what is in the box, besides the FR24 receiver?
        It is up and running as F-KSAT2, not yet mounted at it's planned location, which will be about 6 miles North and 55' high. Right now sitting in a patio chair with the antenna propped up, testing the box functionality and tweaking the remote controls.

Polycarbonate enclosure
        Solid state 150 BTU cold plate, coupled to a custom heatsink and fan inside the box.
        LTE modem
        web controlled temperature and power relay modules
        internal and external temperature probes
        4 port ethernet hub
        110vac>48vdc power supply
        48>24vdc converter (for modem, relay module and hub)
        24>5vdc converter (for FR24 receiver and temp module)
        LTE/GPS combo antenna (modem LTE and FR24 GPS)

Lots of room left in the box for other receivers/gear.

Comment

Originally posted by K5TED View Post
          It is up and running as F-KSAT2, not yet mounted at it's planned location, which will be about 6 miles North and 55' high.
          ...and what ist the purpose of the cable coil at the right of the picture?

Comment

That's excess cable from the LTE/GPS antenna. It's a mobile antenna. I may chop it off and put on new SMA connectors, but not likely. Good SMA crimp connectors cost a few bucks each and it works fine like it is.

The FR24 antenna port is fed from a SMA bulkhead connector on the bottom of the box where all the other connections come in.

fr24e.jpg

Comment

You might want to place the LTE antenna as far as possible away from the FR24 antenna, since it is a sender. I have understood that the box is to be placed in a very remote location, so the LTE sending power may be strong enough to perturbate the FR receiver.

Comment

Here is my new construction for a friend:
                The Jpole construction:
                Jpole 1.jpg
                The antenna with the PVC boom:
                Jpole 2.jpg
                The receiver, Raspi and power supply:
                Jpole Box.jpg
                The almost finished unit:
                Jpole 4.jpg

It will be tested for a week or two just outside on the balcony.

Then it will get onto the roof.
                I'll post the diagrams then.

Comment

Very nice. The J-Pole is something I have not tried yet. Will be interested to see how it performs on your rig.

Please keep us posted on the results from this great looking station!

Comment

GREATE, WELL DONE!

Originally posted by RIN67630 View Post
                    Here is my new construction for a friend
                    It will be tested for a week or two just outside on the balcony.
                    Then it will get onto the roof.
                    I'll post the diagrams then.

Comment

My setup is a simple rpi + dvb-t dongle + 1.09GHz bandpass filter + anti static discharge protection + 12 segment co-co antenna and the cable run is about 10m RG6. The performance right now is around 300nm peak, 180nm average. On rpi I have attached a 4 digits 7 segments display that shows in real-time the number of messages received. Right now I have around 900-1000msgs/s peaks and around 600msgs/s average. The antenna is installed on the roof of building that is about 30m tall and I have around 270* unobstructed visibility to the sky. T-LROP7

IMG_5912.jpgIMG_6196.jpgIMG_6537.jpgIMG_6538.jpgScreen Shot 2016-08-05 at 00.36.17.jpg
                      Last edited by yeu1; 2016-08-05, 07:30.

Comment

@yeu1
                        Great! Well done. Congratulations.

Comment

Technically I don't have a setup yet, but I'm waiting for the following components to arrive: rpi 3 + dvb-t dongle + MCX<-> N pigtail + 6 m LMR-400 cable (2x N connectors) + FA 1090 MHz antenna. Eventually I'll mount the antenna on the roof, but for the first tests it will be located in the attic (next to the rest of the equipment) and connected directly to the pigtail. I'll also do some testing with the stock antenna and different modifications to it that I've read about in this forum. At the moment there is no electricity or ethernet in the attic, but that is something I'm working on. I'll add some pictures when I get the station fired up, but that might take a couple of weeks. This is new territory for me, but I think it's gonna be fun! I'm located in southern Finland (Lapinjärvi).

(2016-08-07):
                          I've been running my radar for about a week now. The FlightAware 1090 MHz antenna is located in the attic just beneath the roof where I expect it will remain for now. Switching from the (optimized) stock antenna to the FA gave me some 25 nm more range, and then moving it 3 m higher another 20 nm to the current 198 nm maximum. Positions reported have more than doubled after these changes. The next thing I'm gonna try is replacing the generic R820T USB dongle with a FlightAware Pro Stick and their 1090 MHz filter. I'm sure there will be more changes which I'll report in due time.

(2016-08-26):
                          After switching to the FA Pro Stick + FA 1090 filter (and adding "--gain -10" to settings) the maximum range has increased to 229 nm and many previously blank spots in my Virtual Radar plot have been filled. Positions reported have gone up over 63 %.

Last edited by Tmax; 2016-08-26, 18:33. Reason: Progress report

Comment

My current setup:
                            Receiver: Raspberry Pi 3 with RTL 820T2 & SDR over WiFi
                            Antenna: home built Coaxial Collinear in my home at a height of 3 meters
                            Antenna installation still work in progress - trying for better range. Now only 60 nm
                            I’m waiting for a ADS-B magnetic Base Antenna (1090 Mhz) which will be on the roof of our house
                            I'll keep you informed, greetings from Belgium

Comment

The ADS-B magnetic Base Antenna (1090 Mhz) from Bulgaria (Ebay) is a joke, no receiving on the roof of our house 20 cm base antenna 1090 Mhz.JPG
                              When I strip him, this is the result 20160822_200308.jpg
                              Now is my homemade antenna back on the roof, and I have a range of 81 nm 20160822_194515.jpg 81 nm.jpg

Comment

Tomorrow I create a new collinear antenna with 75 ohm cable, and compare with the current 50 ohm cable. I'm curious for the result

Comment

Working...
                                X