Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest way to feed FR24 / Anyone using RTL-2832u-R820t usb dongle ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivian
    replied
    Actually, some more googling seems the cheaproute, may not be the best route.

Looks like most the programs are made for linux, and you need to put some in-between software to decode the packets int readable AVR format before passing it on (other devices do this onboard with chips/software)

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Noone here has got the tv tuner cars going yet I don't think.

As for free feeding SW, it depends on how the card talks to the PC. All the SW out there rely on a COM port or ethernet connectivity. So as long as the data received is able to be pointed to a COM port it will be fine to use ADSBscope (free).

If it is for local viewing only and the SW can't talk to it... you will be stuck.

Got a link to the SW they use with tuner cards?

/edit nevermind

Just realised they are USB devices and not PCI cards.. should be setup as a standard COM device

Leave a comment:

• Cheapest way to feed FR24 / Anyone using RTL-2832u-R820t usb dongle ?

G'Day All. I'm just beginning an experiment here... Looking for the CHEAPEST way of feeding data to FR24.
    Something like this:

I'm no good at soldering, and don't want to spend $500+ on a Beast, or any other commercial product (if I can avoid it), only to find my location is no good, and it's all been a waste of time, so this ultra cheap method MIGHT do the trick. I also don't want to anywhere near Linux / Ubuntu either.

I have just ordered (20 Nov 2012) two of these RTL-2832u-R820t DVB-T tuners from different suppliers (one in the USA for $18, and one from China for $10).
    It will be interesting to see which gets to Australia first!
    There are many of these advertised, but few with the specs covering the 1090Mhz frequency.
    The one that looks the most promising is here:

This custom Nooelec SDR is a modified DVB-T USB dongle tuned for SDR usage, including upgraded crystal, capacitors and inductors compared to generic devices. Full compatibility with a large array of software packages, such as http://www.mobileone.com.au/antennas/airband.html (not the cheapest method, but I'd rather a pro build it for me).

Next step is to use the freeware HDSDR (Hi Def Software Defined Radio) to see (on screen) if I'm actually receiving anything on 1090...

After that, I need to find appropriate Open Source software that can DECODE the ADS-B, then pump it out of port 30003 to FR24.
    I want to avoid PlanePlotter if possible.

I've seen some students? in Sydney (on youtube) do something with this kind of setup, but it seems to have shut down.
    There are a few other examples on youtube as well.

SO... My question to everyone here is:
    Is feeding FR24 like this viable / possible ?
    Any comments / feedback / suggestions welcome.

Regards, Greg.

Working...
X