Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @STR_EDDS:
    "Old is Gold", so is your house.
    Thanks for the tutorial link. I will go through it shortly.
    I have already installed PuTTy on my windows desktop, and could successfully access RPi from my Desktop over SSH.
    However, the PuTTY showed only console, needing commands to be typed.
    I hate typing commands in console...... sudo apt-get install mkdir eek eeek eeeeeek .
    I love windows "point & click".
    Is there a way to run GUI (Graphic User Interface) from SSH? I also installed Cygwin, but that also gives command line console.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2015-01-12, 04:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
      However, the PuTTY showed only console, needing commands to be typed.
      I hate typing commands in console...... sudo apt-get install mkdir eek eeek eeeeeek .
      I love windows "point & click".
      Is there a way to run GUI (Graphic User Interface) from SSH? I also installed Cygwin, but that also gives command line console.
      To make things more easy you can just cut & past command lines into PuTTY. Just highlight and copy the command in windows, put your pointer in the terminal window and right click and it will appear. It can save time with long command lines and passwords and it's more accurate too.

As a test try the command ifconfig and you should see the network interface config.
      Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2015-01-12, 07:28.
      www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
        To make things more easy you can just cut & past command lines into PuTTY. Just highlight and copy the command in windows, put your pointer in the terminal window and right click and it will appear. It can save time with long command lines and passwords and it's more accurate too.

As a test try the command ifconfig and you should see the network interface config.
        Thank you for the very helpful tip. It will make using console commands less unpleasant.
        Although I have been occasionally using Linux since late 1990's, but always hated it's console & commands.

Comment

• And the best thing with Linux console (well, in my opinion) is using the ARROW UP key to repeat/list previous commands you typed.

And to see if your feeder is doing what it should (when using the older builds and the Beta one):
          tail -f /tmp/fr24feed.log

Comment

• quick update:

new franklin east side roof
            14h run, 100km rings...
            looks like there is a ~320km peak
            Zwischenablage02.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by STR_EDDS View Post
              quick update:

new franklin east side roof
              14h run, 100km rings...
              looks like there is a ~320km peak
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]5417[/ATTACH]
              GREAT....CONGRATULATIONS!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                And the best thing with Linux console (well, in my opinion) is using the ARROW UP key to repeat/list previous commands you typed.

And to see if your feeder is doing what it should (when using the older builds and the Beta one):
                tail -f /tmp/fr24feed.log
                Thanks for the useful tip. Will try it when I setup FR24 feeder on my Pi.

Comment

• I wanted to try console commands, so I tried several commands and all went well, till I ran command sudo rm -rf /* and Pi crashed and refused to re-boot, and I had to reinstall Raspbian!!!!

Comment

• Well, under windows it's impossible to run "format C:", but under linux "sudo rm -rf" can do a lot of harm.
                    Last edited by loplo; 2015-01-13, 09:53.

Comment

• sudo rm -r /*

That will wipe everything, delete your entire root directory.
                      www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• you got trolled
                        never run sudo rm -rf /*
                        Everything get wiped.

Comment

• After first crash & reinstall of Raspbian, I again started playing with console commands. After few successful commands I ran command sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda and again Pi crashed & refused to re-boot!!!! I had to reinstall Raspbian.

Later addition: This did not actually happen, it is a joke . The first incident (sudo rm -rf/*) actually happened.
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2015-01-14, 22:18.

Comment

• its pays with these little projects to keep a text file of the commands you use to set them up. So when you break it 6 months later its easy to replicate what you did, when you have forgotten half of what you have learned.
                            Last edited by SpaxmoidJAm; 2015-01-13, 22:06.
                            T-EGLF8

Comment

• I have purchased an RCA 7" Android Tablet for Can $49.99 from Wallmart Canada. This was special price during boxing week. Now it is Can $69.99.

For DVB-T USB, there is a driver zdiag for windows & linux. Is the driver avaiable for Android also? If there is a driver available, then this tablet can be used to feed ADS-B data.

This will be the cheapest stand-alone solution. It is like a RPi+Case+Power Supply+Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor+WiFi, all for Can $70 = US $59.43 = €49.59
                              Last edited by abcd567; 2015-01-14, 00:42.

Comment

• you can use this app with your RTLSDR to watch ADS-B

You need a OTG Cable like this one: http://www.amazon.ca/SANOXY-Micro-US...ywords=usb+otg
                                Last edited by STR_EDDS; 2015-01-25, 14:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X