best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @747-8F:
    Keeping amplifier indoors saves it from weather (rain, humidity & heat).

If you coax from antenna to receiver is not very long, keeping amplifier indoors is better option.

If your coax is long and you have good enclosure for antenna & amplifier, then keeping it inside the pepsi can is a better option.

Comment

• @747-8F:

IS YOUR CANTENA (CAN ANTENNA) INSTALLED INSIDE A WATER/MOISTURE RESISTANT ENCLOSURE???

IF NOT, DO NOT INSTALL AMPLIFIER INSIDE THE PEPSI CAN. INSTALL IT INDOORS IN YOUR OFFICE.

The amplifiers are normally designed for indoor installation, and cannot withstand outdoor weather conditions, unless installed inside a good enclosure to protect them from humidity, moisture, rain & heat from sunlight.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post

The amplifiers are normally designed for indoor installation, and cannot withstand outdoor weather conditions, unless installed inside a good enclosure to protect them from humidity, moisture, rain & heat from sunlight.
        Mine is up the mast wrapped - with the connectors - in "Self Amalgamating Tape" do a search on amazon / ebay for it‎. This is usually used to keep water out of the connectors on satellite dishes. So far it's been up there with no other protection for about 3 months.

This is a rubberized stretch tape that bonds to itself - it's definitely not the same as self adhesive vinyl tape which looks similar on the roll but won't do the job.

If using Self Amalgamating Tape‎ wrap the amp and the outlet cable before assembling the cantenna, and do use something like the clear jar radome ABCD has illustrated a few posts back since it will keep water out of the top connector of the amplifier and the dish around it and allow you to fix a bracket to the lid so you can fix the assembly to something outside.

I think we need to extend a hand in thanks to abcd567 to doing all this work. This cheap and simple cantenna design work ties up very nicely with the raspberry pi+dongle project http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 stuff to give people a low cost entry point into running an ADSB receiving station.

Comment

• About half an hour ago I have put the cantenna (can antenna) with amplifier inside the can, on trial run.
          So far it seems to work well. Need to run for couple of hours (preferably 24 hrs) to be sure.

I am thinking of water-proofing solutions other than an enclosure/radome.
          What about encapsulation or potting of cantenna+amplifier assembly by resins like Epoxy or Polyurethane?
          Or simply painting (by aerosol) the cantenna+amplifier assembly with a thick coating of Epoxy/Polyurethane based paint?
          Needs further research & experimentation.
          Any previous experience by any forum members?

http://www.intertronics.co.uk/produc...gcompounds.htm

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mi...l#.U-35tqOK6gY

http://www.pottingsolutions.com/
          Last edited by abcd567; 2014-08-15, 12:46.

Comment

• You'd have to fill the 'cup' with epoxy.

If the copper was exposed - water droplets (being similar diameter to the wire) might affect performance. as might minerals in any covering.

I must admit I sort of like the idea of slipping the cantenna into a suitable sized plastic coke bottle if one can be found that is a tightish fit (complete with screw top).

An alternative would be to make it out of a plastic bottle bottom covered with foil stuffed into another bottle - that maybe has been heated and stretched a little (if that is possible)

the new dc injector should arrive - maybe tomorrow - so I can do a build.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
              Mine is up the mast wrapped - with the connectors - in "Self Amalgamating Tape" do a search on amazon / ebay for it‎. This is usually used to keep water out of the connectors on satellite dishes. So far it's been up there with no other protection for about 3 months.

This is a rubberized stretch tape that bonds to itself - it's definitely not the same as self adhesive vinyl tape which looks similar on the roll but won't do the job.

If using Self Amalgamating Tape‎ wrap the amp and the outlet cable before assembling the cantenna, and do use something like the clear jar radome ABCD has illustrated a few posts back since it will keep water out of the top connector of the amplifier and the dish around it and allow you to fix a bracket to the lid so you can fix the assembly to something outside.

I think we need to extend a hand in thanks to abcd567 to doing all this work. This cheap and simple cantenna design work ties up very nicely with the raspberry pi+dongle project http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 stuff to give people a low cost entry point into running an ADSB receiving station.
              Use of self amalgamating tape + enclosure/radom is a good solution.
              Self amalgamating tape use seems successful as peterhr is using it for 3 months without any problems.

Comment

• After seeing the results, the best way to get the best coverage is the cable. The 5 meters long "only" has increased my coverage in an incredible way. I always used (at home) a 20 meters cable with an amplifier. I have just changed the 20 meters and amplifier into a 5 meters long cable only (without amplifier) (the receiver now is installed at the base of the pole with a long Ethernet and power cables) and i´m really happy. I´m so impressed that i wanted to write a post. ;-) (329nm)
                Covering the Canary Islands, Madeira & North West Africa
                F-GCRR1: 565 meters high. F-GCRR2: 614 meters high. F-GCRR3: 604 meters high.
                F-GCRR5: next to the airport. Improving Canary Islands and Western Sahara MLAT.
                F-GCRR6 (Ex-FGCRR4): 358 meters high. F-GCRR7 : 300 meters high.

Rafa - Lanzarote, Canary Islands, NW Africa - EA8APP

Comment

• Originally posted by 747-8F View Post
                  I want to put it on top of the roof. I got an Amplifier, DC 15v and I made a DC power inserter same like the one you abcd567 made and you use it, but I am confused I don't know what to do what works or what's the best to use Amplifier.
                  Here take and look at the picture see what I got and what I know so far, but I can't do anything I want to be sure.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]4605[/ATTACH]

What do you guys think? Any idea ?

Thanks
                  Here is you drawing, revised to give full information you require:

Comment

• Originally posted by lanzarote View Post
                    After seeing the results, the best way to get the best coverage is the cable. The 5 meters long "only" has increased my coverage in an incredible way. I always used (at home) a 20 meters cable with an amplifier. I have just changed the 20 meters and amplifier into a 5 meters long cable only (without amplifier) (the receiver now is installed at the base of the pole with a long Ethernet and power cables) and i´m really happy. I´m so impressed that i wanted to write a post. ;-) (329nm)
                    You are right. That is my experience also.
                    That is why I always test my antennas first with a short piece (12 feet / 3.5 meters) of coaxial cable WITHOUT Amplifier, and then connect the antenna to a long cable (50 feet / 15 meters)+ AMPLIFIER and test again. Antenna location remains same for both tests, the position of computer+receiver changes from just below the antenna to another room. I live in a high-rise building, and my antenna & all other equipment is located inside my apartment.

Comment

• I'd not do (1) the down lead will pick up noise in competition to the signal before both are amplified - in fact I'd only use (1) with no amplifier.

I'd probably not do (3) since it has an extra thing that will reduce signal (don't know if every connector = 2db loss rule applies).

(2) wins - maybe slip a sleeve over the copper and smother the bottom and end of sleeve in silicon chalk (bathtub stuff) - that will come off again with determination - there' s 1001 ways to do this.

Comment

• I'd not do (1) the down lead will pick up noise in competition to the signal before both are amplified - in fact I'd only use (1) with no amplifier.

I'd probably not do (3) since it has an extra thing that will reduce signal (don't know if every connector = 2db loss rule applies).

(2) wins - maybe slip a sleeve over the copper and smother the bottom and end of sleeve in silicon chalk (bathtub stuff) - that will come off again with determination - there' s 1001 ways to do this.

Originally posted by lanzarote View Post
                        After seeing the results, the best way to get the best coverage is the cable. The 5 meters long "only" has increased my coverage in an incredible way. I always used (at home) a 20 meters cable with an amplifier. I have just changed the 20 meters and amplifier into a 5 meters long cable only (without amplifier) (the receiver now is installed at the base of the pole with a long Ethernet and power cables) and i´m really happy. I´m so impressed that i wanted to write a post. ;-) (329nm)
                        just curious - was the amplifier at the antenna end or the receiver end?

(wondering if we can get a raspberry pi + dongle in a coke can - nope it's too long)

Comment

I'd not do (1) the down lead will pick up noise in competition to the signal before both are amplified - in fact I'd only use (1) with no amplifier.

just curious - was the amplifier at the antenna end or the receiver end?

(wondering if we can get a raspberry pi + dongle in a coke can - nope it's too long)
                          One piece was next to the antenna, and the other piece (with power supply) was next to the receiver...
                          Covering the Canary Islands, Madeira & North West Africa
                          F-GCRR1: 565 meters high. F-GCRR2: 614 meters high. F-GCRR3: 604 meters high.
                          F-GCRR5: next to the airport. Improving Canary Islands and Western Sahara MLAT.
                          F-GCRR6 (Ex-FGCRR4): 358 meters high. F-GCRR7 : 300 meters high.

Rafa - Lanzarote, Canary Islands, NW Africa - EA8APP

Comment

Peter, here's a discussion on insertion loss at another forum. Executive summary: If you would like to use a connector, use a connector; you will not notice the loss.

Comment

• Maybe something like this spray will help in water proofing

Comment

• Originally posted by 747-8F View Post
                                I want to put it on top of the roof. I got an Amplifier, DC 15v and I made a DC power inserter same like the one you abcd567 made and you use it, but I am confused I don't know what to do what works or what's the best to use Amplifier.
                                Here take and look at the picture see what I got and what I know so far, but I can't do anything I want to be sure.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]4605[/ATTACH]

What do you guys think? Any idea ?

Thanks
                                Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                                I'd not do (1) the down lead will pick up noise in competition to the signal before both are amplified - in fact I'd only use (1) with no amplifier.

If the Cantenna is not in an enclosure or not waterproofed, another option is to install the Amplifier inside the building, very close to the point where cable enters the building.

Please see option 1A in revised drawing below.

Comment

Working...
                                X