• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOR NEWBIES: ANTENNA CONCEPTS BY WATER ANALOGY
    Please see sketch below.
    water to antenna analogy.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster View Post
      true, but I honestly think all this techno mumbo jumbo is massive overkill... I suspect most users just want to build a working antenna.. the maths just complicates folk to the point of giving up before they start.

Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81
      Math, assuming it is correct, never complicates anything! It reveals the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exadios View Post
        unless you are talking about theoretical science... Then it's a smoke screen for "we don't know"! lol

Comment

• All the technical stuff to me is unneccesary

For my own antenna construction I use the simple formula
          300 divide by freq = full wave
          300 divided by 1090 = 275 mm

so 1 wave = 275mm

3/4 wave = 206.5 mm
          1/2 wave =137.5mm
          1/4 wave = 68.75 mm

These are all the measurements you need

Bottom of antenna -------/////--------------/////--------------/////--------------/////-------------- Top of antenna

1st element = 68.75mm
          coil = 206.5mm of wire, wound into coil 68mm long
          2nd element = 137.5mm
          coil
          3rd element = 137.5mm
          coil
          4th element = 137.5mm

Add as many elements / coils as you want

Above antenna requires 1/4 w ground plane radials

ADSB ANTENNA.jpg
          Last edited by YWYY; 2014-04-14, 12:40.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post

SCREENSHOT 4 of 4 - Three-and-Half (3.5) Element CoCo - SHORTED TOP
            Gain = 6.7 dBi, SWR = 6.42 (mismatch loss = 3.3 dB)
            Net Gain Seen by Receiver = Antenna Gain - Mismatch Loss = 6.7 - 3.3 = 3.4 dBi
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3873[/ATTACH]
            Looks just like the antenna used by FR24

Now we know why the top is shorted !

www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by Exadios View Post
              Originally posted by Rooster View Post
              unless you are talking about theoretical science... Then it's a smoke screen for "we don't know"! lol

For persons interested in getting things done, some amount of maths is manageable, but too much of maths is like smoke screen.
              It varies from person to person how much maths is 'too much maths'.

Mathematics is in fact the set of rules which govern everything in this universe.
              It is the foundation of all sciences, including apparently unrelated sciences like biology.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post

http://ads-b.ca/radar-cape-apart.htm
                Yes, this is the conclusion drawn by me also, which I have mentioned in the begining of the post #826, and quote it below:

"Reading yesterday's results (post # 824) and this post's results clearly show that:

(1) For antennas having even number of full elements, adding an open or shorted half element (1/4 wave element) worsens it's performance.

(2) For antennas having odd number of full elements, adding an open half element (1/4 wave element) worsens it's performance, but adding a shorted half element (1/4 wave element) improves it's performance."

Comment

FOR NEWBIES: ANTENNA CONCEPTS BY WATER ANALOGY

Please see sketch below.

water to antenna analogy.png

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post

http://ads-b.ca/radar-cape-apart.htm
                    Thanks @1090MHz.
                    The 3.5 element CoCo I built, tried, and posted in this forum last year, was based on design provided by you through photos in above link to your web page http://ads-b.ca/radar-cape-apart.htm.
                    Thanks for sharing. You deserve to share the credit in the work done by me.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      Have a look at http://adsb.alle.bg/filter/ for designs of antenna filters. [this doesn't look easy!]
                      Originally posted by charan View Post
                      the filter is too complicated
                      This filter requires knowledge of Wave Guides & Cavity Resonators, which are realm of microwave & radar engineers. For an ADS-B hobbyist, this subject is too complicated.

Comment

This filter requires knowledge of Wave Guides & Cavity Resonators, which are realm of microwave & radar engineers. For an ADS-B hobbyist, this subject is too complicated.
                        Affirm ; i agree with you.!!! but a small doubt what resonator coil (home made) does for the better reception?
                        RTL SDR : T-VEVZ1

Comment

Yes, this is the conclusion drawn by me also, which I have mentioned in the begining of the post #826, and quote it below:

"Reading yesterday's results (post # 824) and this post's results clearly show that:

(1) For antennas having even number of full elements, adding an open or shorted half element (1/4 wave element) worsens it's performance.

(2) For antennas having odd number of full elements, adding an open half element (1/4 wave element) worsens it's performance, but adding a shorted half element (1/4 wave element) improves it's performance."
                          So what is the final recommendation on making a coco - 7 elements with a shorted 1/2 element at the top ... or do an open topped 8 element?

Is there any recommendation for what to do at the bottom for impedance matching if required...?

Comment

So what is the final recommendation on making a coco - 7 elements with a shorted 1/2 element at the top ... or do an open topped 8 element?

Is there any recommendation for what to do at the bottom for impedance matching if required...?
                            Tomorrow I will model a 7.5 element CoCo, and post its simulation result. By comparing results of 8 element open top ( post # 824) & 7.5 element shorted top, we can decide.

.j
                            Last edited by abcd567; 2014-04-15, 20:12.

Comment

Comparison of simulation results shows that 7.5 element shorted top is slightly better than 8 element open top. Please see screenshots below.

SCREENSHOT 1 of 2 - Seven-and-Half (7.5) Element CoCo - SHORTED TOP
                              Gain = 9.23 dBi, SWR = 3.87 (mismatch loss = 1.85 dB)
                              Net Gain Seen by Receiver = Antenna Gain - Mismatch Loss = 9.23 - 1.85 = 7.38 dBi

coco 7.5 element shorted at top simulation output.png

SCREENSHOT 2 of 2 - Eight (8) Element CoCo - Open Top
                              Gain = 9.52 dBi, SWR = 4.63 (mismatch loss = 2.33 dB)
                              Net Gain Seen by Receiver = Antenna Gain - Mismatch Loss = 9.52 - 2.33 = 7.19 dBi

coco 8 element simulation output.png

Last edited by abcd567; 2014-04-16, 07:25.

Comment

Comparison of simulation results shows that 7.5 element shorted top is slightly better than 8 element open top. Please see screenshots below.

SCREENSHOT 1 of 2 - Seven-and-Half (7.5) Element CoCo - SHORTED TOP
                                Gain = 9.23 dBi, SWR = 3.87 (mismatch loss = 1.85 dB)
                                Net Gain Seen by Receiver = Antenna Gain - Mismatch Loss = 9.23 - 1.85 = 7.38 dBi

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3898[/ATTACH]

SCREENSHOT 2 of 2 - Eight (8) Element CoCo - Open Top
                                Gain = 9.52 dBi, SWR = 4.63 (mismatch loss = 2.33 dB)
                                Net Gain Seen by Receiver = Antenna Gain - Mismatch Loss = 9.52 - 2.33 = 7.19 dBi

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3899[/ATTACH]

Good work.

...so, if the user wants to use 'Satellite lead' amplifier that requires power up the cable (like one of these http://goo.gl/zDcQiW, with power inserter http://goo.gl/r1YRnx and suitable power supply ) then they might be better off with the eight element open top. This so the antenna does not require anything done to stop the DC power going into the antenna.

for a plain coco with no amplifier, then the 7.5 element with a shorted top is better.

Comment

Working...
                                X