best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rooster View Post
    They will work 12-20 volts, it's not that critical.
    Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81
    Conventional (cheaper but ok for amplifier):

Switching type (Little costlier, but regulated, state-of-the-art)

Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-02, 22:46.

Comment

• Originally posted by mickopla View Post
      So i also need a "Power Inserter" presumably i would need a power supply to run that?
      Yes you need all 3.

Comment

They will work 12-20 volts, it's not that critical.

Satellite receivers send two different voltages to LNB, but one at time. It will be either 14v or 18v. When receiver sends 14v, the LNB is switched to receive horizontally polarized wave. When receiver switches the dc to18v, LNB is switched to receive vertically polarized wave at the same frequency. Thus two tv chanells can be transmitted on same frequency band simply using two different polarization at satellite (transmitter)and switching at dish/LNB. This way number of channels which can be transmitter on every satellite wave-band are doubled.
        The in-Line amplifier are designed to work on14 to 18 volts but have some tolerance and work ok from 12 to 20 volts

Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-02, 23:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
          Conventional (cheaper but ok for amplifier):

Switching type (Little costlier, but regulated, state-of-the-art)

Just ordered the switching type adapter. Thanks guys for all the advice. I'm looking forward to receiving it now and getting up and running.

Mike

Comment

do you have a link to the Franklin antenna please ?
            Originally posted by mickopla View Post
            Would the Antenna that adcd567 made be more for indoor use as except for the CoCo placed in PVC conduit i can't see how they could be put outside? Mike
            Here is link to an outdoor type Franklin:

Here is another link showing Franklin with wrapped stub (page 9). Once the stub is wrapped, it can be put inside a pvc pipe.
            (Download pdf document):

Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-03, 02:05.

Comment

• An interesting page on making specialized antennas.

This crazy looking helix antenna actually picks up a low orbit weather satellite!

QFH.jpg
              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                An interesting page on making specialized antennas.

This crazy looking helix antenna actually picks up a low orbit weather satellite
                NICE ONE. THANKS FOR SHARING

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                  NICE ONE. THANKS FOR SHARING
                  Take a close look at the weather satellite stuff... I think you can use your USB dongle to receiver it too.

Several times a day, a NOAA weather satellite passes over your head, beaming down pictures of weather systems and cloud formations. These transmissions aren’t encrypted, and given the requisi…

Some of the guys are just using a discone scanner radio antenna ... not as good as a helix but it still gets you something. The satellite down-links on 137.1 MHz. I find that frequency interesting as it's right next to the aeronautical VHF band of 108 Mhz to 136 MHz. Makes me wonder if the close relation was intended allowing aircraft to utilize the satellite using existing equipment.
                  www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                    Take a close look at the weather satellite stuff... I think you can use your USB dongle to receiver it too.

Several times a day, a NOAA weather satellite passes over your head, beaming down pictures of weather systems and cloud formations. These transmissions aren’t encrypted, and given the requisi…

Some of the guys are just using a discone scanner radio antenna ... not as good as a helix but it still gets you something. The satellite down-links on 137.1 MHz. I find that frequency interesting as it's right next to the aeronautical VHF band of 108 Mhz to 136 MHz. Makes me wonder if the close relation was intended allowing aircraft to utilize the satellite using existing equipment.
                    I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• ... went to ebay and bought one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-omni...item2ecc72581b

... the manufacturer has several on sale on ebay at one time - usually the auctions end with no bidders.

Have also bought some LMR400 (so I have enough wire to the mast ) - now just need to sort out connectors - the Raspberry Pi will remain.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post

Have also bought some LMR400 (so I have enough wire to the mast ) - now just need to sort out connectors - the Raspberry Pi will remain.
                        Peter,

I hope you realise that LMR400 is VERY large cable, although I havent used it myself but know of others who have. It is, however, VERY good for our purpose as it has extremely low signal loss. It's about the size of your thumb so I hope you have strong muscles. It also cant be bent through tight radii (radiuses). Good luck.

Regards,
                        Gregg
                        Last edited by fungus; 2013-12-04, 09:30.
                        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Originally posted by fungus View Post
                          Peter,

I hope you realise that LMR400 is VERY large cable, although I havent used it myself but know of others who have. It is, however, VERY good for our purpose as it has extremely low signal loss. It's about the size of your thumb so I hope you have strong muscles. It also cant be bent through tight radii (radiuses). Good luck.

Regards,
                          Gregg
                          ... sorry it's an equivalent ... HDF400, it's not too bad on the outside diameter maybe 9-10mm - but the inner conductor looks like something that could be used to build suspension bridges - same attenuation factors and impedance of as LMR400.

Comment

... sorry it's an equivalent ... HDF400, it's not too bad on the outside diameter maybe 9-10mm - but the inner conductor looks like something that could be used to build suspension bridges - same attenuation factors and impedance of as LMR400.
                            LMR-400, HDF-400, & CFD-400 are all the same thing. It's actually not that hard to work with, no different then the cable you'd use in wiring you're homes clothes dryer.
                            www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

... went to ebay and bought one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-omni...item2ecc72581b

... the manufacturer has several on sale on ebay at one time - usually the auctions end with no bidders.

Waiting anxiously to see your enhanced range with new antenna & cable. Good luck.

I have to be contended with indoor antenna. I am using 2 amplifiers, one to compensate cable losses ( Desktop & window are in diagonally opposite corners of my apartment), second one to cover for weak pre-amplifier of the DVB-T Dongle.

Comment

• Not sure if this will help but I use RG-11/U. I needed 75ft of it and there is very little loss at that length plus it is relatively inexpensive, although difficult to find someone to sell it to me. My aerial is the one from 1090MHz mounted on a pole on my chimney.
                                T-EGPD7

Comment

Working...
                                X