No announcement yet.

best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe adcd567 is one the 8th floor of a high-rise with no opening windows - so strictly indoors.

we have had some discussions about PVC conduits - apparently the minerals used in the pigments to colour the PVC can attenuate the signals too - but it is what I have. The details for the coco can be found at http://www.balarad.net/ and there are youtube videos of the construction.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
      I believe adcd567 is one the 8th floor of a high-rise with no opening windows - so strictly indoors.

we have had some discussions about PVC conduits - apparently the minerals used in the pigments to colour the PVC can attenuate the signals too - but it is what I have. The details for the coco can be found at http://www.balarad.net/ and there are youtube videos of the construction.
      I have my CoCo made already using the youtube video which was posted in this thread. I made it 9 sections at 11cm and 1 at 5.5cm. Should this be ok? Also what is the best way to terminate the top on the Antenna? I see some have it shorted and others don't?

Mike

Comment

• Best termination is centre core with white insulation poking out 66mm as a 1/4 wave whip at the top of the coco. (outer sheath & braid stripped ... I think thats what your 5.5cm section is but it takes into consideration the velocity factor - which is not needed if it's just a whip antenna.
        Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-02, 17:29.

Comment

• Originally posted by mickopla View Post
          I have my CoCo made already using the youtube video which was posted in this thread. I made it 9 sections at 11cm and 1 at 5.5cm. Should this be ok? Also what is the best way to terminate the top on the Antenna? I see some have it shorted and others don't?

Mike
          Originally posted by peterhr View Post
          Best termination is centre core with white insulation poking out 66mm as a 1/4 wave whip at the top of the coco. (outer sheath & braid stripped ... I think thats what your 5.5cm section is but it takes into consideration the velocity factor - which is not needed if it's just a whip antenna.
          I have made both CoCos, the shorted one & the whipped one. The whipped one is exactly as described by peterhr. Please see the 4 coverage images wich have antenna details also, posted 2 days ago.

If you are going to use Amplifier, shorted one will require an isolating capactor to be inserted between Amplifier & antena to prevent DC power supply short circuiting through antenna. I have once fried my power inserter when I forgot to insert the dc blocking capacitor

Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Whipped sounds like the way to go. I will probably do testing with the Antenna in my attic before moving it outside. I have a weather station and my Anemometer is on a pole at roof level so i can utilize this in some way to place the Antenna on this pole. Excited now about getting my dongle and getting up and running

Mike

Comment

Whipped sounds like the way to go. I will probably do testing with the Antenna in my attic before moving it outside. I have a weather station and my Anemometer is on a pole at roof level so i can utilize this in some way to place the Antenna on this pole. Excited now about getting my dongle and getting up and running

Mike
              Did you order "Power Inserter" when you ordered in-Line Amplifier? Or does the Amplifier package contains the power inserter?

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                Did you order "Power Inserter" when you ordered in-Line Amplifier? Or does the Amplifier package contains the power inserter?

This is the link to the amp that i ordered. I didn't realise i also needed a "Power Inserter". Firstly will this amp do what i need it to do? Also could i have a link to a "Power Inserter" so i know exactly what to order.

Low Cost Satellite Line Amplifier Can Boost Signal From a Satellite Dish by 20dB on Long Coaxial Cable Runs. On Sale at Best Prices in Ireland

Mike
                Last edited by mickopla; 2013-12-02, 19:56. Reason: double url

Comment

This is the link to the amp that i ordered. I didn't realise i also needed a "Power Inserter". Firstly will this amp do what i need it to do? Also could i have a link to a "Power Inserter" so i know exactly what to order.

Low Cost Satellite Line Amplifier Can Boost Signal From a Satellite Dish by 20dB on Long Coaxial Cable Runs. On Sale at Best Prices in Ireland

Mike
                  Freq 450 to 2250 Mhz ok
                  Gain 16 to 20 dB ok
                  Seems u ordered right item.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                    Freq 450 to 2250 Mhz ok
                    Gain 16 to 20 dB ok
                    Seems u ordered right item.

So i also need a "Power Inserter" presumably i would need a power supply to run that?

Comment

So i also need a "Power Inserter" presumably i would need a power supply to run that?
                      Yes, 230V AC (or whatever your mains voltage) to 14v -18v DC. Check DC voltage specified for your amplifier. Generally Satellite dishes use 14/18V DC, which is spplied by dish receiver. Our DVB-T Dongle does not supply DC power.

Links for power inserter:

1) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coaxial-DC...-/161121107526

2) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unbranded-...-/221318282241

3) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A1330-LINE...-/140977355168

4) http://www.amazon.co.uk/N-A-SATELLIT...qid=1385363589

Comment

• Thanks for that abcd567. I ordered the one from Amazon. While i was there i had a quick search for an AC to DC 14v-18v adapter and they seem to be in short supply. Most of them just go to 12v. I did see one that goes to 24v but its close to 30 pounds. What is the most common one used by the guys in here?

Mike

Comment

I just now saw the enlarged picture of Amplifier which shows 15V DC. I have downloaded the enlarged picture from seller's website & attaching it below:

Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-02, 21:28.

Comment

Thanks for that abcd567. I ordered the one from Amazon. While i was there i had a quick search for an AC to DC 14v-18v adapter and they seem to be in short supply. Most of them just go to 12v. I did see one that goes to 24v but its close to 30 pounds. What is the most common one used by the guys in here?

Mike
                            There's a ton of 15vdc power supplies on ebay for around £5...500ma or more will do you, 1a seems the most common.

Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81

Comment

Thanks for that abcd567. I ordered the one from Amazon. While i was there i had a quick search for an AC to DC 14v-18v adapter and they seem to be in short supply. Most of them just go to 12v. I did see one that goes to 24v but its close to 30 pounds. What is the most common one used by the guys in here? Mike
                              Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                              There's a ton of 15vdc power supplies on ebay for around £5...500ma or more will do you, 1a seems the most common. Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81
                              I have mentioned 14-18v as a general range as I did not know the voltage of the one purchased by mickopla. Latet I saw the product photo which shows 15V DC.

uploadfromtaptalk1386023147293.jpg

Comment

• They will work 12-20 volts, it's not that critical.

Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81

Comment

Working...
                                X