best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best antenna

hi everyone my Q is could someone tell me which is the best antenna i can have for a alinco dj-x3 receiver i will be putting it on my house chimney.I am only listening for air traffic and were planes are going to and fro. so can someone help please

I have tried about 15 ADS-B antennas from all around the world. And there is one antenna that is a lot better then all other antennas, it's this one: http://web1745.kostenlos-onlineshop....action=details
    You can double your coverage with this antenna compared to other ADS-B antennas.

Comment

which antenna

Thanks mike for the reply but i have seen this antenna would this be any good its a diamond-d-777 vhf/uhf 3.4db on vhf 120mhz and 5.5 db uhf 300mhz lenth of 1.7m please let know cheers

Comment

Gazza,
        The diamond d-777 is a VHF/UHF air band receiving antenna and should be perfect for your requirements (listening to comms as opposed to recieving ads-b)
        Dan.

Compare all plane tracking receivers on one website.

Comment

I have a diamond d-777 and it is very good, mine is up on the roof near Stansted EGSS and I can hear a/c ot the outer marker at Heathrow EGLL

Comment

antenna

hi guys thanks 4 the reply the thing is i am new to this so i am glad that antenna will do because like i say i am only listening to air traffic and all that so thanks again guys if any ov you guys come up with anything else feel free guys
            Last edited by gazza; 2012-06-29, 15:57. Reason: antenna

Comment

Hi Mike, I'd be interested to know if, within your 15 antennas, you ever tried the DPD ADS_B antenna. Given the similarities in size and performance I' wondering if the LR-1090-N will provide any improvement over my DPD.
              Michael
              Palmerston North,
              New Zealand
              ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

Gazza, its my belief that as long as you get that antenna up and in the clear of any surrounding obsticles, so it can see clearly to the horizon, in fact any vertical antenna will work. As long as its not loaded or wound for a certain freq it should be ok. I use a discone / a vhf hi band folded dipole / a 3 mtr long piece of alumium mounted on a 27mhz beam (the beam acts as the ground plane ) , and they all work fine. For aircraft reception you dont need a high gain antenna as reception comes from above.
                In fact a simple 1/4 wave ground plane cut for vhf hi will work as good as any, just get it up as high as you can. And use good quality coax
                Mike

Comment

I have tried the DPD antenna and although it's quite tall, the results are not so good as you may expect. I would recommend this antenna instead http://web1745.kostenlos-onlineshop....action=details
                  They look almost the same, but the difference in coverage is just amazing.

Comment

Is it an import of the antenna (Radial 1090)? Specs and especially a graph looks too similar ...

Comment

I guess it's the same antenna, as I know that the one I recommend is produced in Russia.

Comment

Thanks, Mike!

Comment

Shame our currency is so bad here and we're so far away from anywhere.

169.00 EUR = 257.104 NZD

Ouch! DPD is more now too due shipping, works out about 215NZD
                          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            I have tried the DPD antenna and although it's quite tall, the results are not so good as you may expect. I would recommend this antenna instead http://web1745.kostenlos-onlineshop....action=details
                            They look almost the same, but the difference in coverage is just amazing.
                            The Antenna has a Gain of 10 dBi + Mast head Amplifier Gain of 12 dB ( i or D ?) = fantastic Gain = you might get signal beyond the curvature of the earth.
                            F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                              The Antenna has a Gain of 10 dBi + Mast head Amplifier Gain of 12 dB ( i or D ?) = fantastic Gain = you might get signal beyond the curvature of the earth.
                              What data is this assumption based on?

Comment

Working...
                              X