• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlejandroM
    replied
    i think is 1.15 but not dev, because i see new map and is installed from

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install dump1090-mutability -y

from my own tutorial ( now i am copying many of the info you have)

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dump1090-mutability
    Tue Aug 20 22:19:11 2019 BST EB_SOURCE EB_VERSION starting up.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Which version of dump1090 you have?

- dump1090-mutability ver 1.14

- dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev

- dump1090-fa

Leave a comment:

• AlejandroM
    replied
    by the way, how to adjust gaing? i saw your tutorial but i cant find gain.php on my dump1090 folder

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    If you have a long coax, and prostick is at other end of coax, it may be beneficial to add a satellite LNA (or any other LNA) near the antenna.

However this all is location specific, and normally the best configuration of hardware at any location is determined by trial-and-error. Adding filter and adjusting gain also plays an important role.

Leave a comment:

• AlejandroM
    replied
    ohh, i see, thank you for the information. i will also test that kind of antenna. and try to make it at least 2 meter higher on the roof.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    AlejandroM

Please see my post again. I have edited it.
    If you look at the timings, my edit (19:28) & your post (19:28) crossed.

Leave a comment:

• AlejandroM
    replied
    i saw photos, but it seems like you have 2 in-line amplifiers, i will test later, with different kind of antennas, to see if range gets better.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by AlejandroM View Post
    also here is my config.[ATTACH=CONFIG]11028[/ATTACH]

do you think this will help?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASKA-Satell...0/163777324965

Please see attached photos in this post:

hi everyone my Q is could someone tell me which is the best antenna i can have for a alinco dj-x3 receiver i will be putting it on my house chimney.I am only listening for air traffic and were planes are going to and fro. so can someone help please ;)

You will note I used 2 satellite LNA. I have installed 2 thinking more is better (it was when I have newly started this hobby)

The dongle was generic dvbt (black) as Flightaware prostick was not yet marketed. Even with 45 feet RG6 coax and generic dvbt, I later discovered the 2nd Satellite LNA did not improve reception, and subsequently I removed it, leaving only 1 satelite amp at antenna.

As you have Flightaware Prostick, which has built in LNA, I dont think adding a Satellite LNA will benefit.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-08-20, 19:28.

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    As i've written a number of times: the filtering is really important.

That's why i would normally recommend the rtl-sdr LNA for 1090 MHz, it has very good filtering.
    It's of course not as cheap as a satellite amplifier. (https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...of-lna--dongle)

Leave a comment:

• Scroggie
    replied
    That is more or less the same as I am using but because I have 3 receivers I am also going through a splitter which introduces a loss of about 6 db. My coax feeder is about another 6db loss so I can get away with that much extra gain. You have to be careful not to overload the receiver and adjust it's gain to get the best results. The most significant improvement you will see, as I'm sure has been stated by others on here, is to get the antenna in clear space and as high as is practical. Mine is about 2 metres above the highest point of my roof, about 14 metres above ground level. That gives me typically a 260nm every day view to the east with the occasional 349nm maximum burst when condition are special.

Leave a comment:

• AlejandroM
    replied
    also here is my config.myapp.jpg

do you think this will help?

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for ASKA Inline Amplifier 20db Gain for Satellite FTA Coax at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Leave a comment:

• AlejandroM
    replied
    wow @Scroggie, that is awesome, i will try it later.

right now i am showing this. T-MMNL1

myantenna.png

Leave a comment:

• Scroggie
    replied
    I struggled to get any good results from a cantenna and eventually went with an 8 element co-axial cable co linear. More complicated to make but not really that difficult. I eventually added a flightaware filter and a satellite preamplifier.

This is what I get typically now and I doubt if I can improve it further because at my location I have hills to the west.
    Anyway I keep upsetting my wife who feels that at 75 I shouldn't be climbing ladders to the roof!!!

Currently T-EGSY1
    Aircraft (total): 224 Messages: 1451.9/sec
    (with positions):157 History: 9951 positions

Leave a comment:

• magnum
    replied
    I've read about comments to have a better performance if you use a long USB cable and a short with the stick close to the antenna...

Leave a comment:

• AlejandroM
    replied
    also the coaxial cable is like 10 meters lengh i am thinking at least to cut it to 5-6m that will help?

(1 post more)...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X