best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trigger View Post
    I believe the Canadian Lancaster is rumoured to be coming to the Fairford Air show next month.
    Wow it's true!

The last two Lancaster bombers still flying in the world will come together in a series of events this summer, in a meeting unlikely to happen ever again and will be taking centre stage at the Air Festival on Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st.

Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (CWHM) will fly their Avro Lancaster from Hamilton, Ontario on August 4th with plans to arrive in England on August 8th. The North Atlantic crossing will include en-route stops at Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada, Narsarsuaq, Greenland, and Keflavik in Iceland, before arriving in the UK.

www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Hi all antenna guys!

Our forum member SpaxmoidJAm has started a new thread for DIY 5 element CoCo "A guide to a 5 element coco".
      Please have a look here:

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...5-element-coco

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
        Wow it's true!

The last two Lancaster bombers still flying in the world will come together in a series of events this summer, in a meeting unlikely to happen ever again and will be taking centre stage at the Air Festival on Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st.

Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (CWHM) will fly their Avro Lancaster from Hamilton, Ontario on August 4th with plans to arrive in England on August 8th. The North Atlantic crossing will include en-route stops at Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada, Narsarsuaq, Greenland, and Keflavik in Iceland, before arriving in the UK.

http://www.airshows.org.uk/news/category/uncategorized/
        Your dates suggest it won't be at Fairford which is on the weekend 20/21 July Boo Hoo

I'll be there, so almost as good as a Lancaster. Pop along and say Hello.
        T-EGUB1

Comment

• Originally posted by trigger View Post
          Your dates suggest it won't be at Fairford which is on the weekend 20/21 July Boo Hoo

I'll be there, so almost as good as a Lancaster. Pop along and say Hello.
          There won't be much at Fairford 20/21 July - the airshow is the week before that. http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow

Have a look at http://britishairshows.com/calendar.html

The Canadian Lancaster last UK show seems to be Sept 6th/7th, Prestwick, Scotland where the Battle of Britain will stay overnight ... maybe that will be the parting of the Lancs with both heading to their respective homes in opposite directions afterwards.

Comment

• Has anyone tried this one (seems like R Pi) Canadian $ 86

http://canada.newark.com/riotboard/m...riotboard-prod

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
              Has anyone tried this one (seems like R Pi) Canadian $ 86

http://canada.newark.com/riotboard/m...riotboard-prod
              Seems quite pricy for a single core unit, you would do better with something like the Odroid U3 (quad core) or if price is a concern then one of the MK890 IV tv dongles, they run Android but can be re-flashed to linux and have far better performance than the Raspberry Pi.
              FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

• There is little point in buying anything better than a Pi for FR24. The Pi is sufficient, and appears to be about the cheapest board on the market. It might benefit in some places from having a few extras in some locations (chip coolers, waterproof boxes, etc) and for the whole reviver something to protect from static build up on the antenna.

Having a faster board won't make your Radar code any more likely to appear on FR24.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                  There is little point in buying anything better than a Pi for FR24. The Pi is sufficient, and appears to be about the cheapest board on the market. It might benefit in some places from having a few extras in some locations (chip coolers, waterproof boxes, etc) and for the whole reviver something to protect from static build up on the antenna.

Having a faster board won't make your Radar code any more likely to appear on FR24.
                  No, but it will let you do things like running 2 or more dongles for other things such as ACARS or FLARM reception at the same time, If you just want to feed FR24 then a Pi will suffice in most areas, I don't know if it would cope well in this region as I quite often track 4000+ planes in a 24 hour period!
                  Ben.
                  FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

• Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
                    No, but it will let you do things like running 2 or more dongles for other things such as ACARS or FLARM reception at the same time, If you just want to feed FR24 then a Pi will suffice in most areas, I don't know if it would cope well in this region as I quite often track 4000+ planes in a 24 hour period!
                    Ben.
                    I only see 1500 planes a day on the Pi - I don't have the range of the F- box, and don't see the planes from the South and east going into the London Airports.

But is I wanted to run ACARS and FLARM too, I'd probably run another Pi or two ... just to keep it simple.

An Odroid U3 looks good value, but last time I looked once it was paid for with shipping and UK customs duties (based on cost the device, shipping, etc) added it was a $100+ USD purchase

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      I only see 1500 planes a day on the Pi - I don't have the range of the F- box, and don't see the planes from the South and east going into the London Airports.

But is I wanted to run ACARS and FLARM too, I'd probably run another Pi or two ... just to keep it simple.

An Odroid U3 looks good value, but last time I looked once it was paid for with shipping and UK customs duties (based on cost the device, shipping, etc) added it was a $100+ USD purchase
                      Buy it from a more local supplier, such as :

They are in Germany and are quite reasonable on shipping, also NO duty as they are in the EU, there is also a UK supplier but I don't have his details to hand.
                      Ben.

Comment

• This week I worked on one of my high sites again to do some maintenance on the 5.8gHz network, so I thought lets do a test for ADS-B reception there. Height above ground was a nice 65meters, so I connected my netbook and dongle and (previously tested) CoCo antenna. FAILURE!
                        After some pondering and head-scratching, I realised I'm experiencing the result of being between 3 different cellular operators' antennas and the amount of "noise" they give off. Thus, as previously reported, a dongle without any signal/noise filter is really useless in that noisey environment.

But looking up from below, you have to agree, it would have been a nice height to have a receiver at!
                        IMG_20140626_164844_edit.jpg

This coming week, I might install something to test at this site of mine .... just need to figure out what the exact height is here!
                        IMG_20140627_152122.jpg

Comment

• Remember the dongle is a broadband device, its tuner is actually receiving all of those cellphone channels too... and it's being saturated being so close to that soup of cellphone RF. It would be interesting to test a Mode-S Beast or a Radarcape in that environment. Both of those radios have 1090MHz saw filters in the front end to allow only the single frequency through. The FAA is installing its ADS-B receivers on-top of AT&T cellphone towers all across the USA.. so it can be done with the right equipment.

Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                          This week I worked on one of my high sites again to do some maintenance on the 5.8gHz network, so I thought lets do a test for ADS-B reception there. Height above ground was a nice 65meters, so I connected my netbook and dongle and (previously tested) CoCo antenna. FAILURE!
                          After some pondering and head-scratching, I realised I'm experiencing the result of being between 3 different cellular operators' antennas and the amount of "noise" they give off. Thus, as previously reported, a dongle without any signal/noise filter is really useless in that noisey environment.

But looking up from below, you have to agree, it would have been a nice height to have a receiver at!
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]4322[/ATTACH]

This coming week, I might install something to test at this site of mine .... just need to figure out what the exact height is here!
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]4323[/ATTACH]
                          www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Super Antenna Update!

Well its been about 2 weeks now of using the Super Antenna I built using LDF1-50 coax. Last Sunday my friend from Nav Canada came over with his VNA antenna tester. My antenna was resonant at +0.03MHz above 1090MHz and was also good at the DME frequencies. He congratulated me and said this antenna was within Nav Canada spec for ADS-B and DME use and he would certify it, if it was actually being used for real ATC.

So this antenna is now being used for FR24.

www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Well its been about 2 weeks now of using the Super Antenna I built using LDF1-50 coax. Last Sunday my friend from Nav Canada came over with his VNA antenna tester. My antenna was resonant at +0.03MHz above 1090MHz and was also good at the DME frequencies. He congratulated me and said this antenna was within Nav Canada spec for ADS-B and DME use and he would certify it, if it was actually being used for real ATC.

http://ads-b.ca/antenna-collinear-F-CYYZ2
                              Nice job

Comment

http://ads-b.ca/antenna-collinear-F-CYYZ2
                                Congrats! Seems like you Canadians are kicking dust (snow) in our eyes with antennas!

Comment

Working...
                                X