X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does look like Ubiquity RocketDish !

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
      The power inserters are sold for use with DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcasting — Terrestrial, used in Europe ... you have ASTC) in-line amps could explain why they're easy to find here on amazon.co.uk or ebay.co.uk

Found one http://www.amazon.com/Inserter-power...llite+inserter
      You are right about DVB-T & ATSC. Here in North America the ATSC USB Dongle Costs $45 and receives TV, while DVB-T USB Dongle costs $20 and does not receive TV, but receives FM, Air, and other VHF/UHF Communications. I am using DVB-T for ADS-B. I could get the DVB-T USB Dongle even for $9.5 if ordered from eBay from China, but delivery times are long, and I am not sure of their quality/reliability....never purchased one from China. Thanks for the information about power inserter. Couple of months ago when I checked, I could not find a cheap one. So I decided to built it myself, and it cost me less than $10 including the 110V AC to 15V DC Convertor.

Comment

ABCD, I have 2 incoming from China within a day or two. My plan is to swop my current NooElec model with one of those and see what the results are. Will advise the results of said experiment. Was US$11 each.

Comment

Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
          ABCD, I have 2 incoming from China within a day or two. My plan is to swop my current NooElec model with one of those and see what the results are. Will advise the results of said experiment. Was US$11 each.
          Good idea... If your results are favorable, I will also order one from China for $9.50 (free shipping), and give it a try...
          http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KDQ23-NEW-RTL-SDR-FM-DAB-DVB-T-Dongle-Stick-RTL2832-R820T-SPC-0155-/231055741575
          Last edited by abcd567; 2013-09-26, 12:38.

Comment

Just notice, the one I posted from amazon.com is only good to 1002Mhz

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
              Just notice, the one I posted from amazon.com is only good to 1002Mhz
              Thanks for pointing out.
              I have checked so many similar items on Amazon & eBay, but the shipment charges to North America are much more than the item cost itself.
              I will try to find one at local stores, where I can pickup personally, avoiding any shipment charges.
              Anyway since I have assembled it using very few and cheap components, there is no pressure to buy a ready made one.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                Thanks for pointing out.
                I have checked so many similar items on Amazon & eBay, but the shipment charges to North America are much more than the item cost itself.
                I will try to find one at local stores, where I can pickup personally, avoiding any shipment charges.
                Anyway since I have assembled it using very few and cheap components, there is no pressure to buy a ready made one.
                Absolutely - my posting was really for the sake of others who might read the thread

Comment

Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                  I was just approved!

Congratulations, your application to host ADS-B equipment from Flightradar24 has been approved.
                  Congratulations.
                  Welcome to CYYZ ADS-B Radar community.

Sure you are going to get a great coverage with FR24 supplied Antenna mounted on the 150 feet high tower, and the Low Attenuation Coaxial cable LMR400/RG8 which you will use to hook-up antenna to receiver.
                  I am waiting eagerly to see your results.

I am not using equipment supplied by FR24.
                  Instead, I am using my own low cost equipment, much of which, including antenna, is home-brewed, and the antenna is located indoors. Even then I am getting a reasonably good coverage. Please see attached pictures of my setup:

Picture 1: Coverage Map - CYYZ area
                  Picture 2: 4-Element Franklin Co-Linear Dipole Antenna - Home Brewed - Located Indoors.
                  Picture 3: in-Line Amplifier & Bias-T (DC Power Injector) - Home-Brewed.
                  Picture 4: DVB-T SDR USB Receiver connected to Desktop Computer.
                  Picture 5: Schematic Diagram of my Setup.

ADS-B-Coverage-With-Franklin-Co-Linear-Indoor-Antenna-3.gif DSC02576-R90c.jpg DSC02543C.GIF DSC02555C.GIF BIAS-T-02.jpg
                  Last edited by abcd567; 2013-09-26, 19:31.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post

....... I am getting a reasonably good coverage. Please see attached pictures of my setup:

Picture 1: Coverage Map - CYYZ area
                    Wow that's impressive, and encouraging, to see that with your home-brewed setup you're getting over 400 Km reception! I see you have a directional pattern to the South-East, suggesting you're in a tall building facing that same direction. What floor are you situated on may I ask ?
                    www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                      Wow that's impressive, and encouraging, to see that with your home-brewed setup you're getting over 400 Km reception! I see you have a directional pattern to the South-East, suggesting you're in a tall building facing that same direction. What floor are you situated on may I ask ?
                      You guessed right, my window faces South-East, ad I am located at 65 feet above ground level

Comment

Height of ADS-B Receiving Antenna does NOT appreciably affect the Range.

In case of Ground-to-Ground Communications at UHF/Microwave, the heights of both the receiving and transmitting antennas greatly affect the range.

In case of Air-to-Ground ADS-B Communications, the Transmitting antenna is on the Aeroplane, which is several thousand feet high. The contribution of height of receiving antenna to the overall range is therefore not appreciable.

The range is combination of ranges of transmitting & Receiving antennas.
                        Overall Range = Range of Transmitting Antenna + Range of Receiving Antenna
                        = 1.41 x √h1 + 1.41 x √h2 miles
                        where
                        h1 = height of transmitting antenna in feet.
                        h2 = height of receiving antenna in feet.

Based on these formula, I have calculated the Range for various heights of Receiving Antenna and Airplane, and have tabulated the results. These results show that increasing height of RECEIVING Antenna from 25 to 200 feet does not appreciably affect the overall range of ADS-B.

PLEASE SEE ATTACHED PICTURE for the tabulated results:
                        ADS-B-Antenna-Height-&-Range.gif
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2013-09-27, 21:36.

Comment

• ABCD, You come across as quite a clued up radio amateur, or someone who works with signals and propagation? Wish we had a direct line of comms tonight, was building a larger collinear and would have liked to tap your knowledge. Anyways, my DIY #2 will be up for testing tomorrow. Upgrading from an 8 to 14 element. Hoping for the best.

This link also muchly shows what you are saying. http://www.heywhatsthat.com/main-090...?view=ML2O2PSQ Create new panorama, enter your coordinates, receiver height, let it plot... then on the map, select: Up in the air.
                          With my little knowledge I had a month ago, that plot gave me a prediction as close as what I am getting at present. Can also set your AC min and max height, then it shows your reception based on that.
                          Last edited by HermanZA; 2013-09-27, 22:47.

Comment

• We always look at the antenna height based on 2 measurements, one being the Height Above Sea Level … (HASL) and the Height Above Average Terrain (HAAT)

HASL is used as it’s a common reference point. HAAT is important in that the antenna is high enough to clear any obstacles in the way.

I’m located at 620 feet Above Sea Level with a HAAT of 50 feet … overall height will be 670 feet HASL.

Our Airport YYZ is at 545 feet HASL … giving my antenna, which is 16 Km away, an overall height of 125 feet over the airport. This should give me good ground coverage of the airport too.

As for maximum distance, the earth is round, and no matter how high up a plane is it’ll eventually fall behind the horizon of the receiving antenna. But it looks like we can get up to 500 Km range from what I’ve seen. It’ll be interesting to see when my station goes live!
                            Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2013-09-28, 08:23.
                            www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

We always look at the antenna height based on 2 measurements, one being the Height Above Sea Level … (HASL) and the Height Above Average Terrain (HAAT)..........
                              Thanks for the technical information. Yes the limiting factor is curvature of earth, no matter how high is the plane or receiving antenna...practically observed limit is about 500 km. I am eagerly waiting to see your results when your station goes live.

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                                ABCD, You come across as quite a clued up radio amateur, or someone who works with signals and propagation? .......
                                Wow, the link you gave ( http://www.heywhatsthat.com/main-090...?view=ML2O2PSQ) is great.
                                Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X