best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
    I believe it's RG174. Also the outer shield is dipped in solder to make it ridged solid.
    It is definitely RG402, mine arrived today and I have begun to build my 1st coco, it should go on the analyser tomorrow lunchtime, but final results will have to wait till next week as I need to get the plastic pipe that it will go in before I can do the final tuning.
    If all goes well then I will build a second one with step by step photos and accurate (to 0.01mm) measurements for others to try.
    Ben.

NB yes the FR24 receiver is 50-ohms, also the analyser is set up for 50-ohms.

Also you would have problems trying to use RG174 as it is polyethylene cored and would melt at soldering temperatures, RG402 is PTFE cored which makes assembly a real joy as it does not melt or sag.
    Last edited by F-EGLF1; 2014-04-28, 21:40. Reason: Cable core info
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

• Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
      .....NB yes the FR24 receiver is 50-ohms, also the analyser is set up for 50-ohms.
      With 50 Ohm connected to 75 Ohm:

Reflection Coefficient Γ = (Z1 - Z2) / (Z1 + Z2) = (75-50)/(75+50) = 0.2
      VSWR = (1+Γ)/(1-Γ) = (1+0.2)/(1-0.2) = 1.5 : 1

Don't get terrified by 1.5:1 VSWR ...
      The Mismatch Loss in dB = -10 log(1 - Γ2) = -10 log (1-0.2 2) = -10 x -0.01773 = 0.1773 dB .... peanuts

Comment

• A very easy formula to calculate SWR when soure and load impedances Z1 & Z2 are known:

SWR = Z1/Z2 where Z1 is larger of two impedances.

Example 1:
        Antenna (source) 50 ohms, receiver (load) 75 ohms SWR = 75/50 = 1.5

Example 2:
        Folded dipole Antenna (source) 300 ohms, receiver (load) 75 ohms, SWR = 300/75 = 4

Simple & easy maths!
        Last edited by abcd567; 2014-04-28, 23:00.

Comment

• Yes looking at the RG402 specs it definitely is it... but it does look like some 174 that's been tinned.

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
          It is definitely RG402, mine arrived today and I have begun to build my 1st coco, it should go on the analyser tomorrow lunchtime, but final results will have to wait till next week as I need to get the plastic pipe that it will go in before I can do the final tuning.
          If all goes well then I will build a second one with step by step photos and accurate (to 0.01mm) measurements for others to try.
          Ben.

NB yes the FR24 receiver is 50-ohms, also the analyser is set up for 50-ohms.

Also you would have problems trying to use RG174 as it is polyethylene cored and would melt at soldering temperatures, RG402 is PTFE cored which makes assembly a real joy as it does not melt or sag.
          www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Here's a tip when using PVC pipe. Place a piece in a Microwave and give it 60 seconds. If the pipe gets hot, then there is lead or some other type of metal in it and it's NOT suitable for use as a radome
            www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Here's a tip when using PVC pipe. Place a piece in a Microwave and give it 60 seconds. If the pipe gets hot, then there is lead or some other type of metal in it and it's NOT suitable for use as a radome
              Brilliant idea. A very handy way to test. Thanks "1090 MHz".

Comment

• Lead is used in:

95 percent of PVC pipe in India
                91 percent in China
                86 percent in the Middle East and Africa
                61 percent in South America
                29 percent in Europe
                1 percent in North America which uses tin as a stabilizer.

So North America PVC is safer for drinking water, but it still had Tin in it...

I think this is why professional manufactured antennas use Fiberglass for the radome.
                www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Something like this would be nice!

www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

http://chej.org/2013/09/pvc-pipes-br...rinking-water/

Lead is used in:

91 percent in China
                    29 percent in Europe

I think this is why professional manufactured antennas use Fiberglass for the radome.
                    OMG now i should stop drinking water
                    RTL SDR : T-VEVZ1

Comment

• Originally posted by charan View Post
                      OMG now i should stop drinking water
                      We are lucky. Some time ago when upgrading work was done in our kitchen, I asked the supervisor "why dont you use pvc pipe instead of copper pipe? It is cheaper", he said "Ontario building regulations do not allow pvc pipes for water in residences"

Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                        We are lucky. Some time ago when upgrading work was done in our kitchen, I asked the supervisor "why dont you use pvc pipe instead of copper pipe? It is cheaper", he said "Ontario building regulations do not allow pvc pipes for water in residences"

Yeah seriously ! and i should say that your regulations are AWESOME. here in India there is lot of corruption. they dont maintain standards..
                        The problems facing by us now are :-
                        Powercuts - 4 and half hour a day, i'm living in city
                        the contractors and also some fellow members take bribe and maintain worst standards in roads, etc
                        vegetables rates are going high,
                        we have to sell our vehicles to buy petrol,
                        no stability in government, they fight each other instead of working together,
                        and many more i cant explain here all but in this stupid state .. they divided our state into two making situation even worse.
                        i'm like waiting to go out of india and get job somewhere else in the world where the humanity is still alive i dont want much money but just to be safe and peaceful. which is not possible in INDIA

Comment

http://chej.org/2013/09/pvc-pipes-br...rinking-water/

Lead is used in:

91 percent in China
                          29 percent in Europe

Here in the UK there are different grades for drinking water, waste water and central heating, you can only use approved pipe for 'potable' water and it is marked as such, some I have seen have a 2 part construction with a white liner and a stiffer outer.
                          However the drinking water grade would not be suitable for antennae work as it is quite soft and usually blue in colour.
                          Ben.

NB we also banned the use of lead solder for copper pipes many years back.

CORRECTION, in the UK we don't use PVC for water (other than waste), the water pipes are PU (Polyethylene) with or without a liner.
                          Last edited by F-EGLF1; 2014-04-29, 05:54. Reason: Correction
                          FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Here's a tip when using PVC pipe. Place a piece in a Microwave and give it 60 seconds. If the pipe gets hot, then there is lead or some other type of metal in it and it's NOT suitable for use as a radome
                            Fantastic idea, however a word of caution..
                            Microwave ovens dislike being run empty, that energy has to go somewhere and if it reflects back into the magnetron it can damage it, it is always good practice to put a cup of water in the oven when you do something like this just as a 'dummy load' I will be testing the pipe I am getting for my first coco build this way before I use it (or discard it)
                            Ben.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post

In Singapore, only copper or stainless steel pipes are used for drinking water.

For copper pipes, NO soldering of joints but only use couplings to joing th epipes.
                              F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post

i also trimmed up the j-pole to see if it would maje any difference.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]3987[/ATTACH]
                                which software is this i want to check mine also

Comment

Working...
                                X