Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @lutorm
    @Birdie
    I feel that we are cluttring this forum by discussing fundamental theories, in which most forum members are not interested. Most members are interested in easy DIY instructions to make a good antenna/amplifier sytem.
    If you want to continue the theoretical discussion, I feel it is better we do it by email. My email is:
    abcd567@hotmail.com

Comment

• Yeah, good point. But I'd say we should just start another thread, that way the discussion is there in case others are interested.
      Patrik J. / KB1VGP / FR24 T-PHTO1

Comment

• Originally posted by lutorm View Post
        Yeah, good point. But I'd say we should just start another thread, that way the discussion is there in case others are interested.
        Good idea!

Comment

• It meeds one of you 'Antenna' guys to start it and take the first post or two - so you can start the thread with notes for a good antenna and go back and tweak [edit] that first post as the good design becomes a great design. Two threads :
          * One for mounting on a pole by the base
          * One for centre mounting / primary use at a window for high rise dwellers (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Toronto )

Comment

• Originally posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post
            yep here ya go.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3949[/ATTACH]
            the lengths are from where the dielectric clears the bnc connector (I've written 136 on the drawing should 138 finger trouble). i imagine the gap between the wire might matter but considering how simple it is. ....
            Here are simulation results of your J-Pole:
            Gain = 3.76 dB; SWR = 4.47, Mmismatch loss (due to SWR higher than 1) = 2.23 dB.
            Net Gain as seen by receiver = 3.76 - 2.23 = 1.53 dB

SpaxmoidJAm's J-Pole - simulation output.png

SpaxmoidJAm's J-Pole - simulation input.png

Comment

• Here's the range on the 3 and 1/2 shorted top
              3_5_Shorted.jpg

I'll take the j-pole to work tomorrow, i also made a 8 section open top today using the soldering method i used before on the 3 1/2. They just seems to have less resonances when soldered.

my south east view is marred by the very hill that F-EGLF1 sit upons
              Last edited by SpaxmoidJAm; 2014-04-24, 17:04.
              T-EGLF8

Comment

• Originally posted by alexsiong29 View Post
                Is anyone here know how to build a simple airband antenna?
                118-136mhz...
                Best and easy to make for less then $10 a 1/4 wave Ground Plane antenna.

ground_plane.jpg

See these HAM links for more info:

2 meter ground plane antenna, 2m antenna, 2 meter antenna, ground plane, pvc support, field day,

Now you're going to want to center it around 122 MHz for the VHF Air Band so use this calculator: http://www.wavelengthcalculator.com if you want to tune it to a specific frequency like the Tower.

Take the wavelength and divide by 4 to get the 1/4 wave of which is what you cut the radials length.

122MHz = 152.69mm for the 1/4 wave.
                www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• E Mail I received from the 'FR24 Box' developer ! Ham Op' (Smart Guys, eh !) Guenter, DL4MEA..
                  Hello Jerry,

Yes, I designed and developed the FR24 receiver, which is sold with just different Linux software as the Radarcape product.
                  And inside it is basically a Mode-S Beast, but with some improvements found with the Radarcape.

Some advice for the more range? Well, it is LOS and you know it is mostly dependent on the quality of LOS and nothing else. Then, you should have less than 3dB cable loss, and not just a rubber duck antenna. The antenna delivered with the FR24 box is pretty good, it is around 5dBi gain and very good for that size.

With that set up, you should see a range of around 250nm distance. If you don't check antenna position and cable loss, etc... if not, then let me know.

I reach 250nm with that set up at home, and nothing else than the equipment described.

73, Günter

Guenter's Papers are here;
                  ADS-B Receiver MLAT RADARCAPE. Map views, aircraft list, filters, performance and status pages. Optimized for 24/7 monitoring without additional PC.

Interesting Read ! 73 (Ham Op for 'Best Wishes')
                  Jerry
                  VE6CPP
                  F-CYQL1

Comment

• So..with the addition of a Pre Amp Help ? Lets Experiment ! Guenter says
                    "• MatLab processing of captured data
                    • Cancelled:
                    I do actually not believe that there is any possible
                    gain from this in aspects like
                    performance increase and saving FPGA resources
                    • Further improvement of RF receiver
                    • faster detector using a diode
                    would drastically help decoding overlapping frames
                    • lower noise figure 'cancelled'
                    since there is no further improvement from 2dB down
                    to 1dB on a terrestrial antenna.
                    So.. 'Let's Keep On Experimenting' ! Tell us your Data..and I will Share with Guenter ! 73
                    Jerry
                    F-CYQL1

Comment

• THE SQUEEZED FRANKLIN
                      ....THE SQUEEZED ANTENNA CAN BE FITTED INSIDE A PVC PIPE
                      ....THE MATCHING STUB IS STILL AN OBSTRUCTION AND REQUIRES A BOX

Gain = 7.26 dBi, SWR = 2.18 causing mismatch loss = 0.64 dB
                      Net Gain as seen by receiver = 7.26 - 0.64 = 6.62 dBi

Squeezed Franklin-6 elements+Matching Stub-Simulation output.png......Squeezed Franklin Dimensions.jpg

Later Addition:
                      In above Sketch, one dimension of Phasing Stub was missed out (the longest part of Blue-Colored Phasing Stub).
                      It is λ / 4 = 68 mm. Please see sketch below:

Squeezed Franklin - STUB Dimensions.PNG
                      Last edited by abcd567; 2014-04-27, 14:11.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                        THE SQUEEZED FRANKLIN
                        ....THE SQUEEZED ANTENNA CAN BE FITTED INSIDE A PVC PIPE
                        ....THE MATCHING STUB IS STILL AN OBSTRUCTION AND REQUIRES A BOX

Gain = 7.26 dBi, SWR = 2.18 causing mismatch loss = 0.64 dB
                        Net Gain as seen by receiver = 7.26 - 0.64 = 6.62 dBi

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3970[/ATTACH]......[ATTACH=CONFIG]3971[/ATTACH]

How would it work if made from copper brake pie (3/16")? - easy to find on ebay ... it would probably flatten making the bends though.

Comment

• Peter - filling a pipe with sand before bending it will help to keep it from getting squashed at the bend.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
                          T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• I inquired a while back regarding the Receivers Noise Floor Specs.. which I now see is '2db'..so changing the 'supplied feedline'.. It is H155 cable, 29.6 dB/100m or 9 dB/100ft and 30 feet is 2.7 dB loss.

If you replace with LMR400 which for 50 feet is about 2.1 dB loss..Surprising as it sounds, you will not see much, if Any, improvement. You would be hard pressed to detect distance change related to a a 0.6 dB change in front end NF of 2db.

Seems to me your only avenue to greater distance is a higher antenna or an antenna with 2 or 3 dBi more gain.
                            Guenter mentions 5 dBi as the gain of the standard FR24 antenna, and you'd need one at least twice as long to see 3 dBi gain improvement.
                            Put the supplied antenna as 'High as Possible'..with the supplied co-ax, probably the 'surest way' to increase your distance...or build a 'larger antenna' I guess !
                            Jerry
                            F-CYQL1

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                              How would it work if made from copper brake pie (3/16")? - easy to find on ebay ... it would probably flatten making the bends though.
                              I will have to simulate again using 3/16" copper pipe to get the results and do the fine-tuning tweaks.

Comment

• Originally posted by VE6CPP View Post
                                I inquired a while back regarding the Receivers Noise Floor Specs.. which I now see is '2db'..so changing the 'supplied feedline'.. It is H155 cable, 29.6 dB/100m or 9 dB/100ft and 30 feet is 2.7 dB loss.

If you replace with LMR400 which for 50 feet is about 2.1 dB loss..Surprising as it sounds, you will not see much, if Any, improvement. You would be hard pressed to detect distance change related to a a 0.6 dB change in front end NF of 2db.

Seems to me your only avenue to greater distance is a higher antenna or an antenna with 2 or 3 dBi more gain.
                                Guenter mentions 5 dBi as the gain of the standard FR24 antenna, and you'd need one at least twice as long to see 3 dBi gain improvement.
                                Put the supplied antenna as 'High as Possible'..with the supplied co-ax, probably the 'surest way' to increase your distance...or build a 'larger antenna' I guess !
                                Jerry
                                F-CYQL1
                                I'd say add height if possible - get it clear of nearby line of sight obstructions - surprising the good it does.

Comment

Working...
                                X