best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
    I guess it consists of 5 units of MS10910 Beam antenna 1090MHz.

Each antenna has a beam width of 60 Degree.

60 x 5 = 300 Degree.

Will it be really Omnidirectional 360 Degree coverage ?
    Yes you are correct, there will be 14.4 degree blind spots between the antennas. What we really want is a 6 panel array, to get the full unobstructed 360 degree view.

6 x 6 = 360

I'd like to build and install something of this nature, atop my tower, as seen here: http://akn-systems.com/tower2/img_3632.htm
    www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      We just received this antenna to our office and will perform some tests within the next weeks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s97kyc9ul...2011.20.29.jpg
      I have One unit of MS10910 Beam antenna 1090MHz and pointed towards WSSS. I picked up all the planes that are on the ground in WSSS.
      F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
        Yes you are correct, there will be 14.4 degree blind spots between the antennas. What we really want is a 6 panel array, to get the full unobstructed 360 degree view.

6 x 6 = 360

I'd like to build and install something of this nature, atop my tower, as seen here: http://akn-systems.com/tower2/img_3632.htm
        WOw... what a tower! not something most of us have at all... so many cables! The omni antenna is for ADS-B?

I have One unit of MS10910 Beam antenna 1090MHz and pointed towards WSSS. I picked up all the planes that are on the ground in WSSS.
        strange... why can't I see much ground traffic from F-WSSL1? Just asking, if I remember correctly F-WSSS1 shows more ground traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post

strange... why can't I see much ground traffic from F-WSSL1? Just asking, if I remember correctly F-WSSS1 shows more ground traffic.
          That Beam Antenna is currently dis-connected. What is so good about ground traffic - so boring.

I am thinking of where to install the beam - to improve coverage of North-West Sector towards Kuala Lumpur or North-East Sector into Vietnam ( there is a void area between F-VVTS1 and F-WSSL1 ).

But, I guess there is a limit I can try to improve the coverage in the North-East due to the curvature of the earth kicking in.
          F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

A couple of thoughts here:
            each beam antenna feeds a dongle + a PI (+ one dongle and a Pi for local traffic) ... these all feed to a little 100Mhz 8 port network hub - but this may need seven FR24 feed keys

The dump1090 program used on the linux systems docs suggest that one dump 1090 program can consolidate output from other dump1090 programs ... would only need one feed key. (but might swamp a single Pi)

Comment

That Beam Antenna is currently dis-connected. What is so good about ground traffic - so boring.

I am thinking of where to install the beam - to improve coverage of North-West Sector towards Kuala Lumpur or North-East Sector into Vietnam ( there is a void area between F-VVTS1 and F-WSSL1 ).

But, I guess there is a limit I can try to improve the coverage in the North-East due to the curvature of the earth kicking in.
              It's up to you.

I personally like ground traffic... in a way one would know whether a plane is on time or not, and it also helps spotters too. Just me.

Comment

Most important thing is installation of Antenna clear of obstructions. At 1090 MHz, it is line-of-sight reception. Any antenna will give almost maximum range as long as it is clear of surrounding objects. I am able to get planes as far as 450 km from a very simple and tiny home-made antenna, simply by locating it at such a position that it is clear of obstructions as much as possible. The antenna could receive signals from planes as far as 450 km in the no-obstruction directions.
                See the attache photos. The antenna is a simple dipole, consisting of two vertical arms, 6.8 cm each (i.e. quarter wave length at 1090 MHZ).
                DSC02542C.GIF DSC02543C.GIF

Comment

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                  WOw... what a tower! not something most of us have at all... so many cables! The omni antenna is for ADS-B?
                  The Omni is part of a free WiFi project I'm a member of. Above the Omni you can see a square panel antenna and a round dish which are also part of the back-haul network. http://akn-systems.com/tower2/img_3610.htm

I signed up to be a feeder station under the "Host ADS-B Equipment" for FR24. Not only can I provide a high tower elevation for the antenna, I also have Internet connections from multiple up-links and my site is equipped with a backup diesel generator. I'm hoping my application will be approved.
                  www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                    The Omni is part of a free WiFi project I'm a member of. Above the Omni you can see a square panel antenna and a round dish which are also part of the back-haul network. http://akn-systems.com/tower2/img_3610.htm

I signed up to be a feeder station under the "Host ADS-B Equipment" for FR24. Not only can I provide a high tower elevation for the antenna, I also have Internet connections from multiple up-links and my site is equipped with a backup diesel generator. I'm hoping my application will be approved.
                    Fingers crossed you get good news about it. Perhaps sending a picture to them showing the tower might help?

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567
                      ;38188See the attache photos. The antenna is a simple dipole, consisting of two vertical arms, 6.8 cm each (i.e. quarter wave length at 1090 MHZ).
                      Now that's the best looking homebrew antenna I've seen yet! I'm working on a 1/4 ground plan using hollow brass rods...i'll post a pic when I'm done.
                      Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-09-17, 12:17. Reason: Quotation marks corrected.
                      ...DOUG
                      KD4MOJ
                      Where Am I?
                      My Live Audio of KTLH

Comment

Hi all,

last week i recieved my raspberry and started to figure out how to build an antenna.
                        I used the Modes-S Beast Copperwire Version Works really good for the beginning.
                        But today i installed the PCB-1090-MCX Mode-S/ADS-B Antenne from this shop:

Heres the Result:
                        [img=http://abload.de/thumb/fr_2009201391f2u.jpg]
                        Last edited by Lorsde; 2013-09-20, 16:32.
                        near HAM // F-EDDH1 FR24 Box // T-EDDH14 Raspberry Pi - DVB-T Dongle

Comment

I have been thinking about the collinear antenna that is muchly discussed as a DIY solution for us.... What would the results be if you build 2 sets of elements of say 8 each and connect them side by side in the same tube, or spaced a 1/4 wave away from each other. Like in a Y setup (cant remember if its serial or parallel!). Either with or without the 50/75 Ohm resister. Would it nearly double your gain, or will it half it? What says our antenna boffins in here about that?

Comment

Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                            I have been thinking about the collinear antenna that is muchly discussed as a DIY solution for us.... What would the results be if you build 2 sets of elements of say 8 each and connect them side by side in the same tube, or spaced a 1/4 wave away from each other. Like in a Y setup (cant remember if its serial or parallel!). Either with or without the 50/75 Ohm resister. Would it nearly double your gain, or will it half it? What says our antenna boffins in here about that?
                            I would think you'd get direction dependence interference between the two antennas - remember the "young's slits" experiments at school. Connecting two of anything up is starting to create a phased antenna array ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phased_array ) ... but without the precision design.

To seriously increase range, I'd look at a commercial antenna where they have repeatable results on an antenna design that has undergone rigorous testing of the design (see post #72 in this thread)

Comment

Originally posted by KD4MOJ View Post
                              Now that's the best looking homebrew antenna I've seen yet! I'm working on a 1/4 ground plan using hollow brass rods...i'll post a pic when I'm done.
                              The home brew antenna (1/2 wave dipole) is really tiny & cute.
                              It gave good reception during summer (May - Aug).
                              However as temperatures & humidity started going down from Sept, range started reducing.
                              I have now built another home-brew antenna (4 element Franklin co-linear), which has almost double the gain of 1/2 wave dipole.
                              Total height of 1/2 wave dipole = 2 x 1/4 wave elements = 2 x 6.8 cm = 13.6 cm
                              Total height of 4 element Franklin co-linear = 4 x 1/2 wavelength = 4 x 13.6 cm = 54.4 cm

Please see attache 3 pictures:
                              (1) 4 Element Franklin co-linear antenna
                              (2) maximum range obtained by Frankline Antenna.
                              (3) DVB-T USB Receiver, connected to Desktop Computer.

DSC02576-R90c.jpg ADS-B Coverage with Franklin Antenna 2.gif DSC02555C.GIF
                              Last edited by abcd567; 2013-09-25, 00:12.

Comment

Looks interesting, what is the antenna actually made of?

Comment

Working...
                                X