best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Speed Daemon View Post
    Maybe you should buy an antenna with the appropriate connector already installed, and use it while you work on your technique. It looks like you're on the right track, but need to work on quality. How about trying to make a simple dipole, and see how that works? Another thing I'd do is make a pigtail to the dongle made from lighter weight coax. If you can afford it, get a crimping tool and crimp on connectors for the other end of the pigtail and the end of each antenna lead. If not, at least the soldering and strain will be safely away from the dongle.
    i found one thing.! when i touch with my finger near the earth of the mcx connector the disturbance is reducing and i can see the hits so may be something regarding earth? and i will try that pigtail ...
    RTL SDR : T-VEVZ1

Comment

Maybe you should buy an antenna with the appropriate connector already installed, and use it while you work on your technique. It looks like you're on the right track, but need to work on quality. How about trying to make a simple dipole, and see how that works? Another thing I'd do is make a pigtail to the dongle made from lighter weight coax. If you can afford it, get a crimping tool and crimp on connectors for the other end of the pigtail and the end of each antenna lead. If not, at least the soldering and strain will be safely away from the dongle.
      This is ridiculous jus made pig tail and kept the laptop on top floor 123.jpg much better reception

Comment

• I couldn't tell from the photo, but I thought I saw a cold solder joint or two there. I know that those tiny connectors are delicate and can melt the dielectric easily, so doing the soldering farther down the line will let you put more heat onto the solder without fear of melting the MCX connector.

The best option still is to get a pigtail with MCX at one end and a more sturdy connector at the other. I use N connectors because I've used them at work and they're fairly standard. But SMA connectors might be less expensive and easier to handle. Because SMA are small thay can't handle larger cables though.

Comment

I couldn't tell from the photo, but I thought I saw a cold solder joint or two there. I know that those tiny connectors are delicate and can melt the dielectric easily, so doing the soldering farther down the line will let you put more heat onto the solder without fear of melting the MCX connector.

The best option still is to get a pigtail with MCX at one end and a more sturdy connector at the other. I use N connectors because I've used them at work and they're fairly standard. But SMA connectors might be less expensive and easier to handle. Because SMA are small thay can't handle larger cables though.
          Originally posted by charan View Post
          This is ridiculous jus made pig tail and kept the laptop on top floor [ATTACH=CONFIG]3585[/ATTACH] much better reception

I agree with you Speed Daemon.

When I got my first Dongle, I used Stock Antenna which was supplied with the Dongle. Then one day the cable got pulled out from base of stock antenna (Picture 1).

This was blessing in disguise, as this forced me to make an antenna myself. I then made the simplest & tiny resonant antenna, a Half-Wave Dipole. This antenna has advantage that its Impedance is 75 Ohms which perfectly matches with impedance of RG6 Coaxial Cable (75 Ohms), as well as Input Impedance of the Dongle (75 Ohms).

I then put the Dipole near window and run a RG6 coaxial from antenna to desktop (picture 2). To connect RG6 thick coax to Dongle, I made a pigtail utilizing the pulled-out cable of stock antenna (Picture 3). I did NOT solder, because the pigtail cable had very thin insulation of core and I feared heat may damage it and cause a short. Also the braid of my antenna coax (RG6) was Aluminium which cannot be soldered. I solved the problem by twisting cores of two coax together, and braids of two coax together, then tapped both the core joint & braid joint separately so they don't short, and then tapped the joint overall to give it a neat look.

Later I purchased a solder-able Female F-Connector, soldered the pigtail to it, fitted a Male F-Connector on my RG6 Coax from antenna and connected the two coax through F-Male-Female connectors.

Recently I purchased a factory-made 20 inch (50 cm) long pigtail with MCX-Male on one end & F-Female on other end, and am keeping it as spare (Picture 4).

Please See photos below:

Picture 1: Cable Got Pulled Out from Stock Antenna During Handling/Use of Stock Antenna
          DSC02173.jpg

Picture 2: My Home Made Half-Wavelength Dipole Installed Indoors Near Window
          DSC02788R.JPG

Picture 3: My Home Made Pigtail
          DSC02555C.GIF

Picture 4: My Factory Made Pigtail
          MCX-Male-to-F-Female-Pigtail.JPG

Last edited by abcd567; 2014-03-17, 20:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by charan View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3580[/ATTACH]
            The culprit is the heavy coaxial cable from antenna, which is putting too much force on delicate MCX connector.
            The MCX is either damaged or it's central pin is not making proper contact with dongle's center hole due to pulling or bending force of heavy coaxial cable.

To reduce pressure on delicate MCX connector, the MCX should be connected to say 30 cm or more of thin coaxial cable, and other end of thin coaxial cable should be joined with the heavy coaxial cable from antenna. See Photo below:

DSC02555C.GIF

Last edited by abcd567; 2014-03-18, 05:36.

Comment

Guys please help me, i made nearly four antennas still no luck check this too much noise and very less range more or less same for all antennas
              Try an USB extension cable (5 metres max) and put the dongle in an anti-static hard drive bag. I've found that it has reduced the noise but not much you can do if you have something transmitting near by (mobile phone cell ect).
              F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post
                Try an USB extension cable (5 metres max) and put the dongle in an anti-static hard drive bag. I've found that it has reduced the noise but not much you can do if you have something transmitting near by (mobile phone cell ect).
                Yep ordered 10 meter cable with booster lets see..!

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                  The culprit is the heavy coaxial cable from antenna, which is putting too much force on delicate MCX connector.
                  The MCX is either damaged or it's central pin is not making proper contact with dongle's center hole due to pulling or bending force of heavy coaxial cable.

To reduce pressure on delicate MCX connector, the MCX should be connected to say 30 cm or more of thin coaxial cable, and other end of thin coaxial cable should be joined with the heavy coaxial cable from antenna. See Photo below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3592[/ATTACH]

Yep the culprit is co-axial but not in that way it is connecting and there is not that much stress as coaxial is tied to window but yes the culprit is itself even there is no antenna and connected to nothing still i can see lot of disturbance in sisex so i guess that is the prob and ordered usb extension lets hope the best

Comment

Yep ordered 10 meter cable with booster lets see..!
                    People have varying success with those, some use them all the time - when I tried one a memory stick would work on the powered USB extender, but the dongle wouldn't.

Did you have any success with a really simple antenna?

The reason I'm asking is so we can see if the problem is actually the antenna or if you have a bad dongle
                    - the way to do this is to simplify the installation, then later when we are sure that it does work we can look to improve it.

Adding complexity early on might just hide the fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      People have varying success with those, some use them all the time - when I tried one a memory stick would work on the powered USB extender, but the dongle wouldn't.

Did you have any success with a really simple antenna?

The reason I'm asking is so we can see if the problem is actually the antenna or if you have a bad dongle
                      - the way to do this is to simplify the installation, then later when we are sure that it does work we can look to improve it.

Adding complexity early on might just hide the fault.
                      yup i made a simple single coaxial lead as antenna and hooked it directly into mcx female of dongle im getting planes over 100km.. so is definitely coaxial fault i would say :/

Comment

yup i made a simple single coaxial lead as antenna and hooked it directly into mcx female of dongle im getting planes over 100km.. so is definitely coaxial fault i would say :/
                        That gives a strong possibility that MCX MALE Connector's center pin is not touching the Center contact of DONGLE's MCX FEMALE.
                        Try to use a NEW MCX MALE Connector with longer thin pigtail.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                          That gives a strong possibility that MCX MALE Connector's center pin is not touching the Center contact of DONGLE's MCX FEMALE.
                          Try to use a NEW MCX MALE Connector with longer thin pigtail.
                          i think he should make one of yours antennas(co-co...etc). single coax is not antenna. i cant find those images you uploaded in this topic
                          For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• Try this

Making an inexpensive collinear antenna suitable for 1090MHz ADS-B decoding with RTL-SDR dongles and RTL1090 or ADSB# as well as dedicated virtual radar syst...

go for 8? elements, temporarily tape the antenna to a bamboo pole - then read through the notes in this section on what to put at the top end of the antenna for maximum sensitivity.

I built one of these and was picking up planes at over 300km

once you are satisfied - seal it in a thin PVC tube to weather proof it.

Comment

• Hit the proverble gold at work today, i spotted a signal analyser at work (hadn't noticed it before) that has a tracking generator in it, work are using it for EMC work. So with the addition of a directional coupler i could be tuning aerials that alone made me pretty happy.

Then to top it off i was chatting to another person about it (the only engineer i know to do any antenna work) and it turns out we have a vector network anayliser that goes upto 3GHz.

I'm quite happy with my current aerial but i'm looking forward to making some just for the learning.
                              T-EGLF8

Comment

• Originally posted by Amper View Post
                                i think he should make one of yours antennas(co-co...etc). single coax is not antenna. i cant find those images you uploaded in this topic
                                Here are the images you are looking for:
                                Post #257:
                                Alternative receivers, antennas, amplifiers, connectors, adapters and general technical matters. No Flightradar24 issues.

Post #258:
                                Alternative receivers, antennas, amplifiers, connectors, adapters and general technical matters. No Flightradar24 issues.
                                Last edited by abcd567; 2014-03-20, 00:20.

Comment

Working...
                                X