best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
    Congatulations. With your 60 ft high antenna tower and no tall buildings nearby to shadow, plus professional hardware, your installation sure provides the best data feed for CYYZ area to flight tracking sites. Congratulations once again.
    Thanks very much abcd567 !

I climbed the tower half way to do a temp install of the FA antenna in the -6*C weather yesterday... remind me to never do that again as I nearly froze to death up there exposed to the wind LOL ! When the spring finally shows up I'll move it to the top and wire it up with some LMR-400 too.
    www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
      Thanks very much abcd567 !

I climbed the tower half way to do a temp install of the FA antenna in the -6*C weather yesterday... remind me to never do that again as I nearly froze to death up there exposed to the wind LOL ! When the spring finally shows up I'll move it to the top and wire it up with some LMR-400 too.
      So we narrowly missed your funeral LOL

Last edited by abcd567; 2014-02-19, 00:33.

Comment

Isn't it an over-kill to use such costly equipment for a simple, single fixed frequency, receiving job like ads-b?
        All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

This is another example of why FR24 and FA are investing in top of the line hardware. Seems the T feeders will eventually be phased out in favor of company owned systems.
        www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

..............Seems the T feeders will eventually be phased out in favor of company owned systems.....
          You cannot call it a "Company owned system", as the space and structure where equipment is inatalled, the internet & electrcity bills, are all by others, and any of the location provider may decide to discontinue. The only obligation the location provider has in this case is that he has to return their equipment.
          Last edited by abcd567; 2014-02-19, 23:54.

Comment

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post45318

This is another example of why FR24 and FA are investing in top of the line hardware. Seems the T feeders will eventually be phased out in favor of company owned systems.
            I have noted that most of data feedes are keen that they are shown on the FR24 & other flight tracking sites, and this desire is understandable. FR24 has its own critera whome to display, and causes disappointment to many feeders.

As far as I am concerned, I did not start this hobby for data feeding. Infact I even did not know that I can feed data. I was contented in running my system as stand-alone, experimenting with antennas, receivers & software. Although I started feeding data about 6 momths ago, I have never bothered weather or not I am shown on tracking sites. If they phase out T-Feeders, it s ok with me as data feedig was never my prime object. It just got added to my main theme of experimentation, and it wont affect experimentation if it goes away.
            Last edited by abcd567; 2014-02-20, 01:10.

Comment

You cannot call it a "Company owned system", as the space and structure where equipment is inatalled, the internet & electrcity bills, are all by others, and any of the location provider may decide to discontinue. The only obligation the location provider has in this case is that he has to return their equipment.
              I'm not the one calling it that ... it was from the other thread ..

"Using their own resources, the company started in earnest placing COS (Company Owned Systems) across the world"
              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

I'm not the one calling it that ... it was from the other thread ..

"Using their own resources, the company started in earnest placing COS (Company Owned Systems) across the world"
                Well whosoever calls it a COS is mistaken. Cell Phone Installations can be called COS because:
                1) Cell Phone Company pays rent to the Building for using their Roof,
                2) Cell company pays for electricity to the building as they get power from building electrical system
                3) Cell company provides & owns the equipment
                4) Cell Company Installs the equipment
                5) Cell company Maintains the equipment.

In case of Plane Tracking sites, their contribution is only item (3) above.
                Items (1), (2), (4), & (5) PLUS internet Bill are paid by the Volunteers called "Data Feeder".
                Hence Plane Tracking sites are not justified if they call it "Company Owned System".

Comment

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post45318

The technology is already marginalising T- feeders where F- feeders cover the same aircraft, nothing more is needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                    The technology is already marginalising T- feeders where F- feeders cover the same aircraft, nothing more is needed.
                    Even if the T-feeder owns the best state-of-the-art equipment, and excellent location & height of antenna?
                    Logically, the Tracking sites should select Data Feeder based on quality & reliability of data, and not on T- & F- basis.
                    What I notice is that they are switching towards MLAT, and not towards F- feeders.
                    Last edited by abcd567; 2014-02-20, 16:42.

Comment

..........Seems the T feeders will eventually be phased out in favor of company owned systems.
                      Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      Who benefits from the feed of T-feeders?
                      The T-feeders (who bear all the cost & running expenses), or the Tracking sites (who get the feed free, without any investment or running charges)?

Comment

Who benefits from the feed of T-feeders?
                        The T-feeders (who bear all the cost & running expenses), or the Tracking sites (who get the feed free, without any investment or running charges)?

Well....who benifits from the feed of F-feeders?
                        For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• Originally posted by Amper View Post
                          Well....who benifits from the feed of F-feeders?
                          The Tracking Site benefits from both F- & T- Feeders.
                          In case of F- feeders, they have invested hundreds of Dollars in equipment & Shipping.
                          In case of T- feeders, they have invested ZERO Dollars! They get it ABSOLUTELY FREE.

The logical solution for Tracking site is to move to MLAT, using both F- & T- types
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2014-02-20, 18:26.

Comment

• I'm sure this has a lot to do with MLAT as traditional T feeders can't partake in MLAT due to the fact that all ground stations need to be time synchronized .... which the FR24 boxes do by using the GPS satellites as a time base to sync from.

However a T feeder can purchase the correct equipment, a Radar Cape, which is basically a FR24, and then they can as a T feeder participate as an MLAT station.
                            ADS-B Receiver MLAT RADARCAPE. Map views, aircraft list, filters, performance and status pages. Optimized for 24/7 monitoring without additional PC.
                            www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• This is the kind of antenna I'd love to get... it's a FAA approved ADS-B antenna with 9 dB gain... this is the same type of antenna used at airports and it's over 6 feet long.

Our ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast) antennas are used worldwide for ADS-B solutions for air navigation with our name brand being known for high quality. dB Systems has been designing, testing, and manufacturing ADS-B ground station antennas for over 30 years. We offer many different options for ground-based ADS-B antennas including omni-directional, directional, de-icing heated antennas, ADS-B antennas with signals tilted upward for difficult coverage areas, customized monitor probe options, high strength and/or marine options, and many different sizes from 24” tall and 3 dBi Gain to 137” tall and 13 dBi Gain.
                              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

....... a T feeder can purchase the correct equipment, a Radar Cape, which is basically a FR24, and then they can as a T feeder participate as an MLAT station.......
                                For those who are keen to be displayed-feeder, and cannot get equipment from tracking site, your proposal is a good solution.

However since I am not keen to be displayed as feeder, nor keen to feed data, I will not spend €650 eqv $1000 on feed-specific receiver. I would rather spent this money in purchasing test equipment like oscilloscope, signal generator, antena analyser etc etc, or spent it to help some one.

Comment

Working...
                                X