No announcement yet.

best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABCD567: well, we are not all as clued up as you in terms of antenna construction and, as you said, your freedom to test and experiment makes you an invaluable resource to the rest of us! Wish I could get hold of some of the parts you can get.

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
      ABCD567: well, we are not all as clued up as you in terms of antenna construction and, as you said, your freedom to test and experiment makes you an invaluable resource to the rest of us! Wish I could get hold of some of the parts you can get.
      HermanZA: Please email me at abcd567@homail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
        Although I have about 310 flights per day in my reception area, It's not deemed "busy enough" by any of the networks to invest in hardware for this part of Africa. And with the local currency so pathetic against the US$ / Euro, purchasing is a *very* expensive option. Take listed price times 11 for $ and about times 16 for Euro.
        It's still possible they may want you as part of their enhanced MLAT network, no harm is submitting an application. You may wake up one day to find a box left on your front door step like I did. I also got a nice quality T-Shirt in the box !

T-Shirt-front.JPGT-Shirt-back.jpg
        www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
          It's still possible they may want you as part of their enhanced MLAT network, no harm is submitting an application. You may wake up one day to find a box left on your front door step like I did. I also got a nice quality T-Shirt in the box !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3344[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3345[/ATTACH]
          If they did that here, it would get stolen!

Comment

• wow.. free T shirt!

Comment

• This looks interesting !

A manufactured for the purpose, active ADS-B antenna, sold on the Mode Beast site so it must be good.

www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

.....The Flight Aware box, which I've looked inside, contains a very nice and expensive dual channel Mode-S Beast Mark II radio card ........
                Isn't it an over-kill to use such costly equipment for a simple, single fixed frequency, receiving job like ads-b?

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                  Isn't it an over-kill to use such costly equipment for a simple, single fixed frequency, receiving job like ads-b?
                  the cost of a beast based receiver must make them more selective about where they choose to send it.

It would be good if they had a low cost alternative to send to places where the use of the expensive box can't be justified.
                  Last edited by peterhr; 2014-02-18, 12:58. Reason: clarify

Comment

Sure a $10 DVB-T USB dongle can pick up ADS-B, however it can't compare to a full scale commercial receiver like the Beast.

Dongles are usually very broadband devices as they are intended to receive wide TV channels. Professional devices as the Beast have SAW front-end filters and are more selective and therefore more immune against close-in noise.

Dongles have a low sample rate that can only sample the RF spectrum with around the same clock as the Mode-S chips are spaced. Professional devices as the Beast are able to sample at multiple times the chip spacing, so they can much easier detect a packet- Dongles can compensate partly for this disadvantage by doing some digital filtering (interporlation and decimation), though.

Dongles have built in a 7 1/2 Bit linear ADC, therefore a very limited dynamic range that is subject to doughnut effects etc. Professional devices use a logarithmic decoder that has a dynamic range of around 65 dB with the ability to detect strong and weak signals at the same time. The dongles can compensate for some of their little range with a sophisticated AGC, if it is fast enough.
                    www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Sure a $10 DVB-T USB dongle can pick up ADS-B, however it can't compare to a full scale commercial receiver like the Beast.

Dongles are usually very broadband devices as they are intended to receive wide TV channels. Professional devices as the Beast have SAW front-end filters and are more selective and therefore more immune against close-in noise.

Dongles have a low sample rate that can only sample the RF spectrum with around the same clock as the Mode-S chips are spaced. Professional devices as the Beast are able to sample at multiple times the chip spacing, so they can much easier detect a packet- Dongles can compensate partly for this disadvantage by doing some digital filtering (interporlation and decimation), though.

Dongles have built in a 7 1/2 Bit linear ADC, therefore a very limited dynamic range that is subject to doughnut effects etc. Professional devices use a logarithmic decoder that has a dynamic range of around 65 dB with the ability to detect strong and weak signals at the same time. The dongles can compensate for some of their little range with a sophisticated AGC, if it is fast enough.
                      You have done a good analysis, showing that you have good depth of knowledge about electronics.
                      You are right that Beast is far superior to DVB-T Dongle.

I think I can better explain my view-point by pictures below:
                      Which weapon will you use to kill the target?

Weapon 1
                      Fly-swatter.jpg

Weapon 2
                      Cannon_Fire.jpg

Target
                      fly.png

Last edited by abcd567; 2014-02-18, 15:32.

Comment

You have done a good analysis, showing that you have good depth of knowledge about electronics.
                        You are right that Beast is far superior to DVB-T Dongle.

I think I can better explain my view-point by pictures below:
                        Which weapon will you use to kill the target?

Weapon 1
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3352[/ATTACH]

Weapon 2
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3353[/ATTACH]

Target
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3356[/ATTACH]

My pocket money allows me to sponsor the purchase of Weapon A, I don't mind buying several and losing them or giving them away if they assist in the elimination of many of the target items as possible.

I can't afford any of Weapon B, the target is free to multiply exponentially and to win.

Comment

I guess you never tried ADSB#?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarod View Post

Actually I have never played around with DVB-T USB dongles. I was lucky enough to be given FR24 and Flight Aware radio equipment to host, both of which provide their own Virtual Radar Servers available locally on my LAN. I just installed the Flight Aware radio yesterday and now have both radar scopes running at the same time. I'll provide some more photos later of this dual installation.
                            FR24-FA.jpgFR24-FA-2.jpg
                            Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2014-02-18, 22:09.
                            www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                              I have been using both ADSB# & RTL1090 Softwares since one year. I find both of these equally good. Are there any special + points for ADSB# over RTL1090?

Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Actually I have never played around with DVB-T USB dongles. I was lucky enough to be given FR24 and Flight Aware radio equipment to host, both of which provide their own Virtual Radar Servers available locally on my LAN. I just installed the Flight Aware radio yesterday and now have both radar scopes running at the same time. I'll provide some more photos later of this dual installation.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]3359[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3360[/ATTACH]
                                Congatulations. With your 60 ft high antenna tower and no tall buildings nearby to shadow, plus professional hardware, installed professionally, your installation sure provides the best data feed for CYYZ area to flight tracking sites. Congratulations once again.

Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
                                Last edited by abcd567; 2014-02-18, 22:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X