Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best antenna

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
    Although I have about 310 flights per day in my reception area, It's not deemed "busy enough" by any of the networks to invest in hardware for this part of Africa. And with the local currency so pathetic against the US$ / Euro, purchasing is a *very* expensive option. Take listed price times 11 for $ and about times 16 for Euro.
    Although I am located about 10km crow's flight from Toronto International Airport CYYZ, I never wanted to get any hardware from any of flight tracking site, mainly not to loose my freedom to modify my setup and to experiment. I am using RTL USB Dongle ($9 from china) + inline 13 to 18 dB pre-amplifier RCA ($4)+ DC power supply ($5) + home made power injector ($3 all parts) + home made antenna ($0)+ coaxial cable ($7) = Total $28.

    With $28 expenditure, & without any obligation or restriction, I am successfully feeding data to following:

    FlightRadar24
    PlaneFinder
    RadarBox24

    Comment


    • ABCD567: well, we are not all as clued up as you in terms of antenna construction and, as you said, your freedom to test and experiment makes you an invaluable resource to the rest of us! Wish I could get hold of some of the parts you can get.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
        ABCD567: well, we are not all as clued up as you in terms of antenna construction and, as you said, your freedom to test and experiment makes you an invaluable resource to the rest of us! Wish I could get hold of some of the parts you can get.
        HermanZA: Please email me at abcd567@homail.com

        Comment


        • Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
          Although I have about 310 flights per day in my reception area, It's not deemed "busy enough" by any of the networks to invest in hardware for this part of Africa. And with the local currency so pathetic against the US$ / Euro, purchasing is a *very* expensive option. Take listed price times 11 for $ and about times 16 for Euro.
          It's still possible they may want you as part of their enhanced MLAT network, no harm is submitting an application. You may wake up one day to find a box left on your front door step like I did. I also got a nice quality T-Shirt in the box !

          T-Shirt-front.JPGT-Shirt-back.jpg
          www.ADS-B.ca

          Comment


          • Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
            It's still possible they may want you as part of their enhanced MLAT network, no harm is submitting an application. You may wake up one day to find a box left on your front door step like I did. I also got a nice quality T-Shirt in the box !

            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3344[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3345[/ATTACH]
            If they did that here, it would get stolen!

            Comment


            • wow.. free T shirt!

              Comment


              • This looks interesting !

                A manufactured for the purpose, active ADS-B antenna, sold on the Mode Beast site so it must be good.

                http://www.shop-modesbeast.com/epage.../Products/1401
                www.ADS-B.ca

                Comment


                • Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                  .....The Flight Aware box, which I've looked inside, contains a very nice and expensive dual channel Mode-S Beast Mark II radio card ........
                  Isn't it an over-kill to use such costly equipment for a simple, single fixed frequency, receiving job like ads-b?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                    Isn't it an over-kill to use such costly equipment for a simple, single fixed frequency, receiving job like ads-b?
                    the cost of a beast based receiver must make them more selective about where they choose to send it.

                    It would be good if they had a low cost alternative to send to places where the use of the expensive box can't be justified.
                    Last edited by peterhr; 2014-02-18, 12:58. Reason: clarify

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                      Isn't it an over-kill to use such costly equipment for a simple, single fixed frequency, receiving job like ads-b?
                      Sure a $10 DVB-T USB dongle can pick up ADS-B, however it can't compare to a full scale commercial receiver like the Beast.

                      Dongles are usually very broadband devices as they are intended to receive wide TV channels. Professional devices as the Beast have SAW front-end filters and are more selective and therefore more immune against close-in noise.

                      Dongles have a low sample rate that can only sample the RF spectrum with around the same clock as the Mode-S chips are spaced. Professional devices as the Beast are able to sample at multiple times the chip spacing, so they can much easier detect a packet- Dongles can compensate partly for this disadvantage by doing some digital filtering (interporlation and decimation), though.

                      Dongles have built in a 7 1/2 Bit linear ADC, therefore a very limited dynamic range that is subject to doughnut effects etc. Professional devices use a logarithmic decoder that has a dynamic range of around 65 dB with the ability to detect strong and weak signals at the same time. The dongles can compensate for some of their little range with a sophisticated AGC, if it is fast enough.
                      www.ADS-B.ca

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                        Sure a $10 DVB-T USB dongle can pick up ADS-B, however it can't compare to a full scale commercial receiver like the Beast.

                        Dongles are usually very broadband devices as they are intended to receive wide TV channels. Professional devices as the Beast have SAW front-end filters and are more selective and therefore more immune against close-in noise.

                        Dongles have a low sample rate that can only sample the RF spectrum with around the same clock as the Mode-S chips are spaced. Professional devices as the Beast are able to sample at multiple times the chip spacing, so they can much easier detect a packet- Dongles can compensate partly for this disadvantage by doing some digital filtering (interporlation and decimation), though.

                        Dongles have built in a 7 1/2 Bit linear ADC, therefore a very limited dynamic range that is subject to doughnut effects etc. Professional devices use a logarithmic decoder that has a dynamic range of around 65 dB with the ability to detect strong and weak signals at the same time. The dongles can compensate for some of their little range with a sophisticated AGC, if it is fast enough.
                        You have done a good analysis, showing that you have good depth of knowledge about electronics.
                        You are right that Beast is far superior to DVB-T Dongle.

                        I think I can better explain my view-point by pictures below:
                        Which weapon will you use to kill the target?

                        Weapon 1
                        Fly-swatter.jpg

                        Weapon 2
                        Cannon_Fire.jpg

                        Target
                        fly.png


                        .
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2014-02-18, 15:32.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                          You have done a good analysis, showing that you have good depth of knowledge about electronics.
                          You are right that Beast is far superior to DVB-T Dongle.

                          I think I can better explain my view-point by pictures below:
                          Which weapon will you use to kill the target?

                          Weapon 1
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3352[/ATTACH]

                          Weapon 2
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3353[/ATTACH]

                          Target
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3356[/ATTACH]


                          .
                          My pocket money allows me to sponsor the purchase of Weapon A, I don't mind buying several and losing them or giving them away if they assist in the elimination of many of the target items as possible.

                          I can't afford any of Weapon B, the target is free to multiply exponentially and to win.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                            Sure a $10 DVB-T USB dongle can pick up ADS-B, however it can't compare to a full scale commercial receiver like the Beast.

                            Dongles are usually very broadband devices as they are intended to receive wide TV channels. Professional devices as the Beast have SAW front-end filters and are more selective and therefore more immune against close-in noise.

                            Dongles have a low sample rate that can only sample the RF spectrum with around the same clock as the Mode-S chips are spaced. Professional devices as the Beast are able to sample at multiple times the chip spacing, so they can much easier detect a packet- Dongles can compensate partly for this disadvantage by doing some digital filtering (interporlation and decimation), though.

                            Dongles have built in a 7 1/2 Bit linear ADC, therefore a very limited dynamic range that is subject to doughnut effects etc. Professional devices use a logarithmic decoder that has a dynamic range of around 65 dB with the ability to detect strong and weak signals at the same time. The dongles can compensate for some of their little range with a sophisticated AGC, if it is fast enough.

                            I guess you never tried ADSB#?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                              I guess you never tried ADSB#?

                              Actually I have never played around with DVB-T USB dongles. I was lucky enough to be given FR24 and Flight Aware radio equipment to host, both of which provide their own Virtual Radar Servers available locally on my LAN. I just installed the Flight Aware radio yesterday and now have both radar scopes running at the same time. I'll provide some more photos later of this dual installation.
                              FR24-FA.jpgFR24-FA-2.jpg
                              Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2014-02-18, 22:09.
                              www.ADS-B.ca

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                                I guess you never tried ADSB#?
                                I have been using both ADSB# & RTL1090 Softwares since one year. I find both of these equally good. Are there any special + points for ADSB# over RTL1090?

                                Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X