best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VE6CPP View Post
    Do any of you know the MDS (Minimum Discernable Signal) for the conventional
    ADS-B receiver?
    In this case, the MDS would be the smallest signal measured in
    microvolts or dBm that would allow the receiver to produce error free data.
    Might assist in any Antenna/Pre-Amp additions..etc. Anyone with suitable Test Equipment or the Resources to find this out ?

VE6CPP
    F-CYQL1
    Hi Jerry. One thing I am sure of is that the DVB-T USB Receiver requires much higher MDS than FR24 supplied receiver. This conclusion is from the tests I conducted on my half-wave dipole as well as on 3-and-half element CoaxialCollinear, with only 11 feet (3.5 meters) RG6 cable between antenna & receiver. I conducted two tests on each antenna, one without amplifier, other with 13-18dB amplifier, all other factors remaining same, and range increased by 150 kms for both antennas. It seems that DVB-T's built-in pre-amplifier has much less gain than the built-in pre-amplifier of FR24 supplied receiver. 73.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2014-01-17, 20:48.

Comment

• I'm just wondering if its worth splitting this thread into threads for dipoles, whips, Coco's, franklins, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by VE6CPP View Post
        Do any of you know the MDS (Minimum Discernable Signal) for the conventional
        ADS-B receiver?..........

VE6CPP
        F-CYQL1
        The DVB-T USB Receiver Dongle has front-end chip R820T. May be this datasheet can provide some info you want:

Right Click the above link and then select "save as" or "save link as" to download pdf document
        Last edited by abcd567; 2014-01-18, 22:10.

Comment

• I'm curious would there be any lose of range when using the 10 metre cable provided with FR24 equipment to connect antenna to receiver compared with the 5 metre cable?

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by mickopla View Post
            I'm curious would there be any lose of range when using the 10 metre cable provided with FR24 equipment to connect antenna to receiver compared with the 5 metre cable?

Mike
            It depends on which cable is supplied by FR24. One of the following 2 is most likely:

For RG58 Cable
            At 1000 Mhz, Loss in 10 m (30.5 ft) cable = 17.5dB x 30.5/100 = 5.1 dB
            Using 5m will reduce loss by 2.55dB

For LMR400 Cable
            At 1000 Mhz, Loss in 10 m (30.5 ft) cable = 4.3dB x 30.5/100 = 1.3 dB
            Using 5m will reduce loss by 0.65dB

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
              It depends on which cable is supplied by FR24. One of the following 2 is most likely:

For RG58 Cable
              At 1000 Mhz, Loss in 10 m (30.5 ft) cable = 17.5dB x 30.5/100 = 5.1 dB
              Using 5m will reduce loss by 2.55dB

For LMR400 Cable
              At 1000 Mhz, Loss in 10 m (30.5 ft) cable = 4.3dB x 30.5/100 = 1.3 dB
              Using 5m will reduce loss by 0.65dB
              Thanks adcd567 for the info. Receiver is in the loft so will check tomorrow and see which one i have.

Mike

Comment

• The cable provided with the FR24 is h155 belden.

Velkoobchod s komponenty pro datové sítě. Kabely, konektory, zásuvky, datové sítě. Distributor firem Belden, Panduit, Hirschmann, Planet, 1583E, kabel Belden

h155 10 m Loss at 1000Mhz is 2.96 dB

LMR-400 10 m Loss at 1000MHz is 1.30 dB

This is why I went with LMR-400
                Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2014-01-25, 02:28.
                www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                  The cable provided with the FR24 is h155 belden.

Velkoobchod s komponenty pro datové sítě. Kabely, konektory, zásuvky, datové sítě. Distributor firem Belden, Panduit, Hirschmann, Planet, 1583E, kabel Belden

Your mast is 60 feet (almost 20 meters) high, plus horizontal run of cable say 5 meters, your total cable length from antenna to receiver is about 25 meters.
                  By using LMR400 instead of H155, you reduced signal loss by 4.2dB**. You took a very wise decision to use LMR400.

**29.6dBx25m/100m - 13dBx25m/100m = 7.4dB - 3.2dB = 4.2dB

Comment

Your mast is 60 feet (almost 20 meters) high, plus horizontal run of cable say 5 meters, your total cable length from antenna to receiver is about 25 meters.
                    By using LMR400 instead of H155, you reduced signal loss by 4.2dB**. You took a very wise decision to use LMR400.

**29.6dBx25m/100m - 13dBx25m/100m = 7.4dB - 3.2dB = 4.2dB
                    As an experiment I installed a 3dB attenuator at the radio to simulate what it would have been like if I had used the provided H155 cable. At first I didn't notice any difference, but after a while I started to notice I was not seeing as many aircraft on the ground at CYYZ, also my radar lock would drop much more frequently having another station take me over. So having that extra gain really does help you at the end of the day.
                    www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

The cable provided with the FR24 is h155 belden.

In real world terms distance wise what gain in km's would the LMR 400 have over the h155?

Also to shorten the h155 10m cable provided by FR24 would a crimping tool be required?

Comment

• Originally posted by mickopla View Post

Also to shorten the h155 10m cable provided by FR24 would a crimping tool be required?

Don't modify that cable. You agreed that it is still property of FR24.
                        I asked same question couple a months ago.
                        For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• Originally posted by Amper View Post
                          Don't modify that cable. You agreed that it is still property of FR24.
                          I asked same question couple a months ago.
                          That's why I went with a custom made LMR-400 cable. The FR24 h155 remains unused and untouched.
                          www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

That's why I went with a custom made LMR-400 cable. The FR24 h155 remains unused and untouched.
                            Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of LMR400 for say 25 meters length?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of LMR400 for say 25 meters length?
                              $60 USD for 100ft

Comment

• I cut my cable to the exact length... and do my own connector installations... it's not that hard with the right tools.

www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Working...
                                X