No announcement yet.

best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: - .... .- -. -.- / -.-- --- ..- / .--- . .-. .-. -.-- 'Your Welcome Purser' ! Yes, I have been a Ham Op' since Feb '84..back when CW was a requirement ! I still enjoy it a lot ! I consider myself a 'Bilingual Canadian'..English and Morse Code' ! I also hold the call sign VE6JEE that I use for my portable Op's on VHF/UHF in my Jeep..(VE6Jee/p !) Been an Amazing Hobby to get into..have met 'numerous folks over the years'..spoke with many 'Famous People' as well ! Many of the ISS Astronauts are Ham Op's too..occasionally chat with one of them on a 'pass' on 144Mhz ! Still enjoy building and experimenting with antenna's, etc.. Have plans (when the weather inproves..) of Phasing 3 or 4 Yagi's for ADS-B..see if it makes any difference on the reception ! I will post the data and build details when it decides to 'quit Winter' in these parts ! 73 (Best Wishes)
    Jerry
    F-CYQL1
    Last edited by VE6CPP; 2013-12-20, 21:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
      Yes, net gain= inserter loss dB + amplifier gain dB = -5+20=15 dB.

On a second thought, it is better not to connect anything to FR24 system, and run your system independently, a difficult solution, but does no interference to FR24 system & no chance for violation of their terms of service.

Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
      Yes i think going forward it would be better to keep the FR24 system independent. I still have my thinking cap on with regards having two antenna in my current set up.

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by mickopla View Post
        Yes i think going forward it would be better to keep the FR24 system independent. I still have my thinking cap on with regards having two antenna in my current set up.

Mike
        The very reason I did not take any equipment from FR24 was that I will loose my freedom to experiment & modify my set up as I whish.

Although I feed data to FR24, I am free to play with my set up.

You will also have this flexibility if you have your own independent system.

Comment

• Originally posted by VE6CPP View Post
          Re: - .... .- -. -.- / -.-- --- ..- / .--- . .-. .-. -.-- 'Your Welcome Purser' ! Yes, I have been a Ham Op' since Feb '84..back when CW was a requirement ! I still enjoy it a lot ! I consider myself a 'Bilingual Canadian'..English and Morse Code' ! I also hold the call sign VE6JEE that I use for my portable Op's on VHF/UHF in my Jeep..(VE6Jee/p !) Been an Amazing Hobby to get into..have met 'numerous folks over the years'..spoke with many 'Famous People' as well ! Many of the ISS Astronauts are Ham Op's too..occasionally chat with one of them on a 'pass' on 144Mhz ! Still enjoy building and experimenting with antenna's, etc.. Have plans (when the weather inproves..) of Phasing 3 or 4 Yagi's for ADS-B..see if it makes any difference on the reception ! I will post the data and build details when it decides to 'quit Winter' in these parts ! 73 (Best Wishes)
          Jerry
          F-CYQL1
          On FR24, 'Purser' is my rank and 'abcd567' is my nick name. I am not a 'HAMer' (at least yet), but have owned good shortwave radios for decades, and sometimes listend to amature marine & air HF SSB 2MHz to 30 Mhz, sometimes across the globe.

Do you CQ DX on HF? What meterband/frequency? I don't have a Tx, but can Rx.

Comment

............Yes, I have been a Ham Op' since Feb '84......
            Wow! You have been 'HAMer' for last 3 decades!!!

Originally posted by VE6CPP View Post
            ....Been an Amazing Hobby to get into..have met 'numerous folks over the years'..spoke with many 'Famous People' as well ! Many of the ISS Astronauts are Ham Op's too..occasionally chat with one of them on a 'pass' on 144Mhz ! .......
            Jerry
            F-CYQL1
            That's great!

Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-20, 22:30.

Comment

• small world! I've been a "G" since 1986!

Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                small world! I've been a "G" since 1986!

Wow! You have Full Licence from RSGB since last 28 years!
                May we know your call sign?

Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-21, 02:15.

Comment

• Re: Do you CQ DX on HF? What meterband/frequency? I don't have a Tx, but can Rx.

I don't DX as much as I used too. Band conditions have not been too favorable lately due to the Solar Minimums.. if you tune around the Ham Bands, you will probably hear more activity on 10M lately ! The past 5 years or so, I spend more time on 6M (50Mhz) 2M (144Mhz) and 70cm (432Mhz). I enjoy 6M..with its numerous propagation activities. My furthest contact was with EA7KW in S Spain on CW, about 8300Km ! MS (Meteor Scatter) is an interesting mode..especially during Meteor Showers. Just call CQ or 'set up a sched' with another Op'..and use the Ionized Trail left by the Meteor to reflect the signals...some last quite awhile ! Usually best out to 900 miles or so. On 2M, I also do EME (Earth-Moon-Earth) using the Lunar Surface as a passive reflector. Have worked over 50 stations all over US, Europe and Asia. Takes a bit longer, and 'more power'..and signals are delayed about 2.5 seconds due to the 800,000Km trip there and back ! With lots of power, you can actually 'hear your own echos' coming back ! Lots of Fun experimenting with so many different modes, etc. It is a Great Hobby ! I actually use FR24 for 'Airplane Scatter' ! I can contact stations over 300 miles away on 432Mhz..using the 'airplane as a passive reflector' ! FR24 comes in handy, as I can plan out when and where to point the antennas ! 73
                  Jerry
                  F-CYQL1

Comment

Re: Do you CQ DX on HF? What meterband/frequency? I don't have a Tx, but can Rx.

I don't DX as much as I used too. Band conditions have not been too favorable lately due to the Solar Minimums.. if you tune around the Ham Bands, you will probably hear more activity on 10M lately ! The past 5 years or so, I spend more time on 6M (50Mhz) 2M (144Mhz) and 70cm (432Mhz). I enjoy 6M..with its numerous propagation activities. My furthest contact was with EA7KW in S Spain on CW, about 8300Km ! MS (Meteor Scatter) is an interesting mode..especially during Meteor Showers. Just call CQ or 'set up a sched' with another Op'..and use the Ionized Trail left by the Meteor to reflect the signals...some last quite awhile ! Usually best out to 900 miles or so. On 2M, I also do EME (Earth-Moon-Earth) using the Lunar Surface as a passive reflector. Have worked over 50 stations all over US, Europe and Asia. Takes a bit longer, and 'more power'..and signals are delayed about 2.5 seconds due to the 800,000Km trip there and back ! With lots of power, you can actually 'hear your own echos' coming back ! Lots of Fun experimenting with so many different modes, etc. It is a Great Hobby ! I actually use FR24 for 'Airplane Scatter' ! I can contact stations over 300 miles away on 432Mhz..using the 'airplane as a passive reflector' ! FR24 comes in handy, as I can plan out when and where to point the antennas ! 73
                    Jerry
                    F-CYQL1
                    This is a lot of very useful information. Thanks for sharing Jerry!

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                    small world! I've been a "G" since 1986!

Forum member 'Rooster' being a 'G' i.e. Full Amatuer Licence from RSGB (Radio Services of Great Britain) since 1986, will sure be interested in the useful info given by Jerry.
                    Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-21, 18:43.

Comment

• We had a good ice storm here over night ... the FR24 antenna is covered in ice but it seems to be working just fine.

ice.jpg

The GPS antenna also has a think 1 inch coat of ice on it yet everything still is working ok.

More photos here: http://ads-b.ca/ice_storm/
                      www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                        We had a good ice storm here over night ... the FR24 antenna is covered in ice but it seems to be working just fine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3107[/ATTACH]

The GPS antenna also has a think 1 inch coat of ice on it yet everything still is working ok.

More photos here: http://ads-b.ca/ice_storm/
                        You got such a sturdy and professionally built installation, it requires a tsunami or tornado to stop it from working
                        Although I live in the same town, none of my installation got any ice coating (everything including antenna is indoor )
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-23, 14:32.

Comment

• MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR

Comment

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR
                            Same to you abcd567

I made a half wave dipole today and was impressed with the results. Max distance was 320km this without any amp. It does have a very short cable run but still impressive. Also i tried the Coco with the short to braid and also impressive results without an amp.
                            With regards cable runs would reducing length from 30ft to 15ft make any noticeable difference to coverage with a whipped Coco that uses an amp?

Mike

Comment

You got such a sturdy and professionally built installation, it requires a tsunami or tornado to stop it from working
                              Although I live in the same town, none of my installation got any ice coating (everything including antenna is indoor )
                              I went a bit over the top when I had that tower built but now I'm glad I did... it's a heavy duty reinforced design, and has an ice load rating, so it can take quite a large load. As for my birch tree it didn't do so well ... LOL!
                              birch2.jpgbirch1.jpg
                              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                                I went a bit over the top when I had that tower built but now I'm glad I did... it's a heavy duty reinforced design, and has an ice load rating, so it can take quite a large load.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]3108[/ATTACH]
                                You are wise & foresighted.

Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                                . As for my birch tree it didn't do so well ... LOL!
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]3109[/ATTACH]
                                Ahhh! The poor birch tree
                                Many birch trees along our local road met the same fate.

Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-24, 00:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X