Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best antenna

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mickopla View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3054[/ATTACH]

    In the pic above of the power inserter i know the dc power should go to the HF+DC connector but what connects to HF and IN. Also would i be right in saying the Antenna connects to LNB of the in line amp?

    Mike
    HF - To dongle ... HF (out)
    DC - from power supply ... DC (in)
    HF+DC - up the wire to the amplifier and towards the antenna ... HF(in) DC (out) ... to amplifier 'To Receiver' connection

    Amplifier 'To LNB' connection is connected to the antenna (these amplifiers are really intended for satellite TV systems and the Low Noise Block [LNB] is the antenna brick that sits on an arm at the focus of the satellite dish)
    Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-13, 14:26.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by mickopla View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]3054[/ATTACH]

      In the pic above of the power inserter i know the dc power should go to the HF+DC connector but what connects to HF and IN. Also would i be right in saying the Antenna connects to LNB of the in line amp?

      Mike


      Mike, connect as follows:
      Amplifier:
      LNB - connect to antenna
      Receiver - Connect to DC Inserter

      DC Inserter:
      HF+DC - Connect to Amplifier
      HF - Connect to Receiver (DVB-T USB Dongle)
      In - Connect to 15V DC Adapter

      Please see attached picture below:

      Power Inserter Connections-.png
      Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-14, 07:04.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by mickopla View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3054[/ATTACH]

        In the pic above of the power inserter i know the dc power should go to the HF+DC connector but what connects to HF and IN. Also would i be right in saying the Antenna connects to LNB of the in line amp?

        Mike
        On the Amp;
        Antenna to LNB
        Receiver to HF+DC of the Inserter.

        On the Inserter;
        HF+DC to Receiver of Amp
        HF goes to your ADS-B Receiver
        IN is the DC power
        www.ADS-B.ca

        Comment


        • Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
          Mike, connect as follows:
          Amplifier:
          LNB - connect to antenna
          Receiver - Connect to DC Inserter

          DC Inserter:
          HF+DC - Connect to Amplifier
          HF - Connect to Receiver (DVB-T USB Dongle)
          In - Connect to 15V DC Adapter

          Please see attached picture below:

          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3055[/ATTACH]
          Thats brilliant adcd567. I have everything ok in my first attempt but i didn't twist the braid like that and just tried to solder a coax wire to the tin/braid. I have it connected now but if anything my range is reduced. Hopefully i will get a chance tomorrow to do it properly. Just a quick question with regards adsbscope. On my screen i could have 18 or more flights found in the right hand column but only 4 or 5 show on the map. Is this normal or is there a setting i can change to get all the flights to show on the map??

          Mike

          Comment


          • Originally posted by mickopla View Post
            Thats brilliant adcd567. I have everything ok in my first attempt but i didn't twist the braid like that and just tried to solder a coax wire to the tin/braid. I have it connected now but if anything my range is reduced. Hopefully i will get a chance tomorrow to do it properly. Just a quick question with regards adsbscope. On my screen i could have 18 or more flights found in the right hand column but only 4 or 5 show on the map. Is this normal or is there a setting i can change to get all the flights to show on the map??

            Mike
            Answer to your question #1:
            Range reduced!!! Amplifier is not working because either (1) It's frequency band does not cover/include 1090Mhz, or (2) It is not gettig dc beause dc adaptor is not plugged in, or (3) dc polarity is reverse i.e central conductor is -ve, braid is + ve, (4) amplifier or power inserter is defective (rare possibilty).

            Check dc by connecting a multimeter between whip's central condutor and braid (or at the LNB terminal of amplifier aftet disconnecting antenna cable from it ). It should show about 15 volts. Make sure you connect mulimeter's positive probe to central onductor of whip & negative pobe to braid, & also that yo have set multimeter to measure dc volts.

            Answer to yor question #2.
            There is no setting in adsbScope to increase or decrease numer of planes. It shows all the planes from which it receives signal.
            Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
            Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-13, 21:44.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
              Answer to your question #1:
              Range reduced!!! Amplifier is not working because either (1) It's frequency band does not cover/include 1090Mhz, or (2) It is not gettig dc beause dc adaptor is not plugged in, or (3) dc polarity is reverse i.e central conductor is -ve, braid is + ve, (4) amplifier or power inserter is defective (rare possibilty).

              Check dc by connecting a multimeter between whip's central condutor and braid (or at the LNB terminal of amplifier aftet disconnecting antenna cable from it ). It should show about 15 volts. Make sure you connect mulimeter's positive probe to central onductor of whip & negative pobe to braid, & also that yo have set multimeter to measure dc volts.

              Answer to yor question #2.
              There is no setting in adsbScope to increase or decrease numer of planes. It shows all the planes from which it receives signal.
              Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
              I had a quick look again at the connection i made to the braid using the coax wire and the solder joining both has come away. I will redo the soldering tomorrow and twist the braid as adcd567 has shown in the diagram. Hopefully this will fix the issue and increase my range.

              Regards

              Mike

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mickopla View Post
                I had a quick look again at the connection i made to the braid using the coax wire and the solder joining both has come away. I will redo the soldering tomorrow and twist the braid as adcd567 has shown in the diagram. Hopefully this will fix the issue and increase my range.

                Regards

                Mike
                It seems you are using coaxial with non-solderable braid. The solder will come out even if you put it again. Better forget about soldering the braid to adapter -ve wire. Just twist togather the braid and the negetive wire of dc adaptor. Not a desireable solution, but works.

                Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2

                Comment


                • Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                  It seems you are using coaxial with non-solderable braid. The solder will come out even if you put it again. Better forget about soldering the braid to adapter -ve wire. Just twist togather the braid and the negetive wire of dc adaptor. Not a desireable solution, but works.

                  Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
                  Thanks for that tip. It should be straight forward enough to get the final stage completed Big thanks for all your help abcd567 Much appreciated

                  Mike

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                    It seems you are using coaxial with non-solderable braid. The solder will come out even if you put it again. Better forget about soldering the braid to adapter -ve wire. Just twist togather the braid and the negetive wire of dc adaptor. Not a desireable solution, but works.

                    Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
                    I did a proper job this morning and have seen a big improvement in range. Considering my antenna is in my attic i'm happy with the results. Next job to mount the antenna outside
                    14-12-2013 10-56-05.jpg

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by mickopla View Post
                      I did a proper job this morning and have seen a big improvement in range. Considering my antenna is in my attic i'm happy with the results. Next job to mount the antenna outside
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]3058[/ATTACH]
                      It would be really interesting to see what it would do outside....

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by mickopla View Post
                        Thats brilliant adcd567. I have everything ok in my first attempt but i didn't twist the braid like that and just tried to solder a coax wire to the tin/braid. I have it connected now but if anything my range is reduced. Hopefully i will get a chance tomorrow to do it properly. Just a quick question with regards adsbscope. On my screen i could have 18 or more flights found in the right hand column but only 4 or 5 show on the map. Is this normal or is there a setting i can change to get all the flights to show on the map??

                        Mike
                        Mike,
                        as uploaders we all 'suffer' that issue, regardless of which unit we use. I say 'suffer' but is isnt as bad as it sounds. In some areas (like here in SYD) we have quite a few radars (over 20 last count) and its sometimes difficult to get the 'elbow' room to see all your aircraft on the map. That's not the aim however as we all compliment each other (we all have blind spots) and we all like to take hols and have computer down times. It's also likely to vary considerably during the course of a day. It's not a competition so keep firing up the unit and uploading, every contribution is very much appreciated.

                        At the risk of repeating myself, the best antenna is a high antenna, free of as many obstructions as possible with the best (and most affordable/appropriate cable) as possible.

                        Regards,
                        Gregg
                        Last edited by fungus; 2013-12-14, 13:45.
                        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by mickopla View Post
                          I did a proper job this morning and have seen a big improvement in range. Considering my antenna is in my attic i'm happy with the results. Next job to mount the antenna outside
                          CONGRATULATIONS MIKE.

                          Originally posted by mickopla View Post
                          Thats brilliant adcd567........ Just a quick question with regards adsbscope. On my screen i could have 18 or more flights found in the right hand column but only 4 or 5 show on the map. Is this normal or is there a setting i can change to get all the flights to show on the map??

                          Mike
                          My yesterday's answer to your above question #2 was not relevant as as I missunderstood your question. The correct answer is:

                          The adsbScope has received signal from 18 aircrafts which it has shown in the table on right.
                          Out of these 18, only 4 aircrafts have included position data (longitude & latitude) in their signal. The adsbScope therefore plotted only those 4 on the map on left, as it has no way to plot remaining planes without their position data in the signal.
                          Just check the latitude & longitude coloumns of the table, and you will find that only map-displayed planes contain longitude & latitude data.


                          Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-14, 14:53.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                            CONGRATULATIONS MIKE.


                            My yesterday's answer to your above question #2 was not relevant as as I missunderstood your question. The correct answer is:

                            The adsbScope has received signal from 18 aircrafts which it has shown in the table on right.
                            Out of these 18, only 4 aircrafts have included position data (longitude & latitude) in their signal. The adsbScope therefore plotted only those 4 on the map on left, as it has no way to plot remaining planes without their position data in the signal.
                            Just check the latitude & longitude coloumns of the table, and you will find that only map-displayed planes contain longitude & latitude data.


                            Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
                            Thanks Fungus and adcd567 for your replies. I tried to sign up to fr24 this afternoon but their software couldn't find 2 flights even though rtl1090 was picking up quiet a few. I did change the port setting to 30003 as stated in their guide but nothing. I'm wondering is there anything i might be missing?

                            Mike

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by mickopla View Post
                              Thanks Fungus and adcd567 for your replies. I tried to sign up to fr24 this afternoon but their software couldn't find 2 flights even though rtl1090 was picking up quiet a few. I did change the port setting to 30003 as stated in their guide but nothing. I'm wondering is there anything i might be missing?

                              Mike
                              It could be that your close to a really good Radar F-EIWF1 (Waterford.) and its masking your coverage.
                              Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-12-14, 20:03. Reason: word edit
                              AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                                It would be really interesting to see what it would do outside....
                                With UHF TV reception, an attic installed antenna will cut the signal by 50%.
                                www.ADS-B.ca

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X