Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mickopla View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3054[/ATTACH]

In the pic above of the power inserter i know the dc power should go to the HF+DC connector but what connects to HF and IN. Also would i be right in saying the Antenna connects to LNB of the in line amp?

Mike

Mike, connect as follows:
    Amplifier:
    LNB - connect to antenna
    Receiver - Connect to DC Inserter

DC Inserter:
    HF+DC - Connect to Amplifier
    HF - Connect to Receiver (DVB-T USB Dongle)
    In - Connect to 15V DC Adapter

Please see attached picture below:

Power Inserter Connections-.png
    Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-14, 07:04.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3054[/ATTACH]

In the pic above of the power inserter i know the dc power should go to the HF+DC connector but what connects to HF and IN. Also would i be right in saying the Antenna connects to LNB of the in line amp?

Mike
      On the Amp;
      Antenna to LNB
      Receiver to HF+DC of the Inserter.

On the Inserter;
      HF+DC to Receiver of Amp
      HF goes to your ADS-B Receiver
      IN is the DC power
      www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        Mike, connect as follows:
        Amplifier:
        LNB - connect to antenna
        Receiver - Connect to DC Inserter

DC Inserter:
        HF+DC - Connect to Amplifier
        HF - Connect to Receiver (DVB-T USB Dongle)
        In - Connect to 15V DC Adapter

Please see attached picture below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3055[/ATTACH]
        Thats brilliant adcd567. I have everything ok in my first attempt but i didn't twist the braid like that and just tried to solder a coax wire to the tin/braid. I have it connected now but if anything my range is reduced. Hopefully i will get a chance tomorrow to do it properly. Just a quick question with regards adsbscope. On my screen i could have 18 or more flights found in the right hand column but only 4 or 5 show on the map. Is this normal or is there a setting i can change to get all the flights to show on the map??

Mike

Comment

Thats brilliant adcd567. I have everything ok in my first attempt but i didn't twist the braid like that and just tried to solder a coax wire to the tin/braid. I have it connected now but if anything my range is reduced. Hopefully i will get a chance tomorrow to do it properly. Just a quick question with regards adsbscope. On my screen i could have 18 or more flights found in the right hand column but only 4 or 5 show on the map. Is this normal or is there a setting i can change to get all the flights to show on the map??

Mike
          Answer to your question #1:
          Range reduced!!! Amplifier is not working because either (1) It's frequency band does not cover/include 1090Mhz, or (2) It is not gettig dc beause dc adaptor is not plugged in, or (3) dc polarity is reverse i.e central conductor is -ve, braid is + ve, (4) amplifier or power inserter is defective (rare possibilty).

Check dc by connecting a multimeter between whip's central condutor and braid (or at the LNB terminal of amplifier aftet disconnecting antenna cable from it ). It should show about 15 volts. Make sure you connect mulimeter's positive probe to central onductor of whip & negative pobe to braid, & also that yo have set multimeter to measure dc volts.

Answer to yor question #2.
          There is no setting in adsbScope to increase or decrease numer of planes. It shows all the planes from which it receives signal.
          Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
          Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-13, 21:44.

Comment

Answer to your question #1:
            Range reduced!!! Amplifier is not working because either (1) It's frequency band does not cover/include 1090Mhz, or (2) It is not gettig dc beause dc adaptor is not plugged in, or (3) dc polarity is reverse i.e central conductor is -ve, braid is + ve, (4) amplifier or power inserter is defective (rare possibilty).

Check dc by connecting a multimeter between whip's central condutor and braid (or at the LNB terminal of amplifier aftet disconnecting antenna cable from it ). It should show about 15 volts. Make sure you connect mulimeter's positive probe to central onductor of whip & negative pobe to braid, & also that yo have set multimeter to measure dc volts.

Answer to yor question #2.
            There is no setting in adsbScope to increase or decrease numer of planes. It shows all the planes from which it receives signal.
            I had a quick look again at the connection i made to the braid using the coax wire and the solder joining both has come away. I will redo the soldering tomorrow and twist the braid as adcd567 has shown in the diagram. Hopefully this will fix the issue and increase my range.

Regards

Mike

Comment

I had a quick look again at the connection i made to the braid using the coax wire and the solder joining both has come away. I will redo the soldering tomorrow and twist the braid as adcd567 has shown in the diagram. Hopefully this will fix the issue and increase my range.

Regards

Mike
              It seems you are using coaxial with non-solderable braid. The solder will come out even if you put it again. Better forget about soldering the braid to adapter -ve wire. Just twist togather the braid and the negetive wire of dc adaptor. Not a desireable solution, but works.

Comment

It seems you are using coaxial with non-solderable braid. The solder will come out even if you put it again. Better forget about soldering the braid to adapter -ve wire. Just twist togather the braid and the negetive wire of dc adaptor. Not a desireable solution, but works.

Thanks for that tip. It should be straight forward enough to get the final stage completed Big thanks for all your help abcd567 Much appreciated

Mike

Comment

I did a proper job this morning and have seen a big improvement in range. Considering my antenna is in my attic i'm happy with the results. Next job to mount the antenna outside
                  14-12-2013 10-56-05.jpg

Comment

I did a proper job this morning and have seen a big improvement in range. Considering my antenna is in my attic i'm happy with the results. Next job to mount the antenna outside
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3058[/ATTACH]
                    It would be really interesting to see what it would do outside....

Comment

Mike
                      Mike,
                      as uploaders we all 'suffer' that issue, regardless of which unit we use. I say 'suffer' but is isnt as bad as it sounds. In some areas (like here in SYD) we have quite a few radars (over 20 last count) and its sometimes difficult to get the 'elbow' room to see all your aircraft on the map. That's not the aim however as we all compliment each other (we all have blind spots) and we all like to take hols and have computer down times. It's also likely to vary considerably during the course of a day. It's not a competition so keep firing up the unit and uploading, every contribution is very much appreciated.

At the risk of repeating myself, the best antenna is a high antenna, free of as many obstructions as possible with the best (and most affordable/appropriate cable) as possible.

Regards,
                      Gregg
                      Last edited by fungus; 2013-12-14, 13:45.
                      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS MIKE.

Originally posted by mickopla View Post
                        Thats brilliant adcd567........ Just a quick question with regards adsbscope. On my screen i could have 18 or more flights found in the right hand column but only 4 or 5 show on the map. Is this normal or is there a setting i can change to get all the flights to show on the map??

Mike
                        My yesterday's answer to your above question #2 was not relevant as as I missunderstood your question. The correct answer is:

The adsbScope has received signal from 18 aircrafts which it has shown in the table on right.
                        Out of these 18, only 4 aircrafts have included position data (longitude & latitude) in their signal. The adsbScope therefore plotted only those 4 on the map on left, as it has no way to plot remaining planes without their position data in the signal.
                        Just check the latitude & longitude coloumns of the table, and you will find that only map-displayed planes contain longitude & latitude data.

Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-14, 14:53.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS MIKE.

My yesterday's answer to your above question #2 was not relevant as as I missunderstood your question. The correct answer is:

The adsbScope has received signal from 18 aircrafts which it has shown in the table on right.
                          Out of these 18, only 4 aircrafts have included position data (longitude & latitude) in their signal. The adsbScope therefore plotted only those 4 on the map on left, as it has no way to plot remaining planes without their position data in the signal.
                          Just check the latitude & longitude coloumns of the table, and you will find that only map-displayed planes contain longitude & latitude data.

Thanks Fungus and adcd567 for your replies. I tried to sign up to fr24 this afternoon but their software couldn't find 2 flights even though rtl1090 was picking up quiet a few. I did change the port setting to 30003 as stated in their guide but nothing. I'm wondering is there anything i might be missing?

Mike

Comment

Thanks Fungus and adcd567 for your replies. I tried to sign up to fr24 this afternoon but their software couldn't find 2 flights even though rtl1090 was picking up quiet a few. I did change the port setting to 30003 as stated in their guide but nothing. I'm wondering is there anything i might be missing?

Mike
                            It could be that your close to a really good Radar F-EIWF1 (Waterford.) and its masking your coverage.
                            Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-12-14, 20:03. Reason: word edit
                            AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                              It would be really interesting to see what it would do outside....
                              With UHF TV reception, an attic installed antenna will cut the signal by 50%.
                              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by speedbird1960 View Post
                                It could be that you close to a really good Radar F-EIWF1 (Waterford.) and its masking your coverage.
                                I did notice the F-EIWF1 showing on the website before so knew it existed but didn't realise it could affect by chances of contributing. I will try again this evening to see if it happens again. Out of interest is there any map or list of radar sites available as it would be interesting to see how many are in my area and where exactly.

With regards 1090mhz data re: an Attic install it just makes me even more determined to get the Antenna outside. As a cover PVC conduit seems to be what others are using so what size am i looking for bearing in mind we can get very windy condition here? Today for example we had gusts up 80km/h.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X