best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
    Yes, this was the first thing which I felt when I saw it.
    See the details on the site where I found it:

Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2
    Ahh, this is not to run a antenna preamp.

UK sky digital receiver's have two coaxial outputs to connect to the antenna inputs on TVs. Output one is for the lounge TV, the second for the bedroom. Now it is possible to get a magic eye to put in the bedroom - this is an IR reciver with a small electronics box. I
    This requires a supply from the satellite reciever to drive the eye and lets someone in the bedroom change the satellite channel.
    I think this cludge is to allow multiple TVs connected to the second output to change channels.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

• To: peterhr: Did you find the site http://www.satcure.co.uk useful? It carries lot of info & stuff for UK residents.

Comment

To: peterhr: Did you find the site http://www.satcure.co.uk useful? It carries lot of info & stuff for UK residents.
        I have bought kits there many years ago to repair satellite receiver power supplies.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

See the DIY DC Power Inserter shown in the image below.
          Found it on web today, but did not try it yet.
          Looks interesting.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3018[/ATTACH]
          That's a total hack job and won't work very well at all. A real power inserter design does 2 things,
          #1 it had a cap to decouple DC from going to the receiver and,
          #2 a coil to choke RF from leaving the coax and traveling down the power line, and noise on the power line being introduced into the coax line.

A real inserter is known as a Bias Tee .... see here,
          Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2013-12-08, 23:28.
          www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
            That's a total hack job and won't work very well at all. A real power inserter design does 2 things,
            #1 it had a cap to decouple DC from going to the receiver and,
            #2 a coil to choke RF from leaving the coax and traveling down the power line, and noise on the power line being introduced into the coax line.

A real inserter is known as a Bias Tee .... see here,
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_tee
            Yes you are absolutely right.
            I posted the "total hack job" just to see the reaction.
            Here is the link to the page Where I found it: http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/dc_inserter.htm

Please see below the picture of my DIY DC-Injector / Bias-T, which I have posted earlier with my Shorted-top CoCo's first trial run. It consists of 2 components you have mentioned:
            1) Capacitor
            2) RF Choke (Axial inductor)
            These components are housed in a Recycled TV Splitter (all internal parts removed). The box also provides 3 F-Female Connectors for connecting Antenna, Receiver & DC Power Supply.
            DSC02844R.jpg

Also see other pictures which I posted couple of months ago with my Franklin antenna coverage map:
            DSC02543C.GIF BIAS-T-02.jpg

Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-09, 00:20.

Comment

• Did you see that sites 'Hack Job" Technical expert...

Martin_1431.jpg

Sorry, he can NOT call you back from Greece.
              Martin is usually available from 7am - 10am and noon - 9pm but occasionally has to go shopping, go to the toilet, or take a walk or a bath.

So when you call about the TV being on fire from the hack job... for sure he'll be on the Toilet!
              Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2013-12-09, 00:59.
              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Did you see that sites 'Hack Job" Technical expert...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3029[/ATTACH]

Martin is usually available from 7am - 10am and noon - 9pm but occasionally has to go shopping, go to the toilet, or take a walk or a bath.

So when you call about the TV being on fire from the hack job... for sure he'll be on the Toilet!
                Hahaha! sure you wont find him when his hack job results in a disaster.

Comment

• Try this link:
                  http://111.net23.net/
                  It requires Flash Player, and does NOT work on Hand-Held devices (iPad, iPhone, Android Phones etc)
                  Works on Laptop or Desktop which are Flash Compatable.

Comment

• Look at the source code, the guys pulling the feeds from http://www.liveatc.net They also do support Hand-Held devices iPad, iPhone, Android Phones, etc...

// ATC Selector

function tune(ATC){

var url='http://d.liveatc.net/'+ATC[0];
                    var airportName = ATC[1];
                    var airportLocation = ATC[2];
                    var frequency = ATC[3];
                    var dataArray = new Array(url, airportName, airportLocation, frequency);
                    thisPlayer('myBlue').sendDataToFlashPlayer(dataArr ay);
                    Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2013-12-09, 06:40.
                    www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Did you see that sites 'Hack Job" Technical expert...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3029[/ATTACH]

To my knowledge, Martin retired from his TV & Satellite repair business some 10+ years ago and probably offers good advice to people on how to aim satellite dishes, etc.

The advice on the power inserter relates to a magic eye - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll7zf5vdNnY - The magic eye includes a DC voltage blocker so the TV doesn't get fried, everything on the site relates to UK Sky digital and UK freeSat (subscription free) receivers. It would be unwise to apply it elsewhere (and might fry the TV, power supply or something else)

Comment

• Friday noon I put my whipped CoCo with Amplifier and let the adsbScope plot range for 48 hrs.

Sunday noon I replaced the top whipped element by shorted element (+capacitor between amplifier & coco), and there was an immediate & remarkable INCREASE in range & number of planes.
                        Definitely shorted top is substantially better than whipped unshorted top.
                        I have found another flavour of coco. It is a hybrid. It has a whip solderd to the shorted top! I am going to make and try it.

Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-10, 00:25.

Comment

It has a whip solderd to the shorted top! I am going to make and try it.
                          Remember the secret antenna design photos I showed you... it had a sorted top element.
                          www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Remember the secret antenna design photos I showed you... it had a sorted top element.
                            Yes, I remember very well. I have built my shorted top CoCo same design as you have shown me. Thanks a lot. You do share a major part of credit to my CoCo experiments. Your design IS definitely superior to whipped version.
                            Now I am going to try the hybrid of your design & Peter's / Rooster's whipped design (i.e. shorted top with 1/4 whip soldered to the shorted central wire at top.)

Last edited by abcd567; 2013-12-10, 02:01.

Comment

LMR-400, HDF-400, & CFD-400 are all the same thing. It's actually not that hard to work with, no different then the cable you'd use in wiring you're homes clothes dryer.
                              I ended up using LMR195 as I dont have a long cable run from antenna to basestation (via amplifier) and I had to fit it under the roof tiles and drill through the top plate of an internal wall, and LMR400 would have caused some issues there (LMR195 is quite small by comparison and the same physical outside diameter as RG58 with lower losses). Horses for courses.

Just as a general comment here also.

There seems to be some confusion in terms on this thread in relation to antenna height/range/coverage. You can buy/construct an antenna and whether you hold it in your hands inside the house, stand on a biscuit tin or do like the statue of liberty and hold it at some hundreds of feet (with a skyhook or two) it will indeed make no difference to the 'range' of the antenna. However it will make a huge difference to 'coverage' (the actual number of aircraft you are able to pick up). Ignoring the obvious limits of losses for each of the previously mentioned methods, height is actually EVERYTHING in terms of overall coverage due to the technology being line-of-site. The more obstacles you can avoid (usually by placement and elevation) the more aircraft you are going to see. The range is no better or worse at any elevation (the antenna is still the same at 200ft or on the biscuit tin). Introducing variables like cable length/type will affect the eventual outcome still height is one of the most important factors.

Otherwise Air Services Australia could place all the antennas for their ground stations on a biscuit tin or 4 ft stepladder rather than a 50ft mast and saved a fortune. The 'range' of their antenna is fixed but by placing it higher, the 'coverage' is increased.

Regards,
                              Gregg
                              Last edited by fungus; 2013-12-10, 03:20.
                              YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

No offense - but now we have secret antennas on an open forum. Interesting.
                                Here in Africa we need every trick in the book because we have very few aircraft and the distances between stations are long.
                                Why not share the "secret".
                                I have built just about every antenna design I could find - Some slightly better than others.
                                Last edited by SBSer; 2013-12-10, 08:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X