best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
    Yes and there is another called RTC all in the same building @ 1350 Matheson Blvd

AA Electronics, 1350 Matheson Blvd. Unit 8
    Sayal Electronics, 1350 Matheson Blvd. Units 3-4
    RTC Electronics, 1350 Matheson Blvd. Unit 10A

It's a candy shop of electronics !!!

And when your done there, if you have any money left, you can head on over to Matheson's Exotic Bar.
    Nice picture of the candy mall, but the bar's picture is missing. :-)

Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
      LOL
      Looks like the Matheson's Exotic Bar is a thing of the past. Most of these places seemed to have gone out of business ever since Canadian Immigration changed the rules and stopped issuing Exotic Dancer Work Permits.
      Attached Files
      www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster View Post
        ....Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81
        You are still using ZX81 !!!
        It is Sinclair's PC of early 1980's !!!
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

Comment

• ... With the 16k ram pack!

Sent from my ZX81

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster View Post
            Remove the short at the top, and replace with a 1/4 whip.... You can then remove the dc blocking cap, and associated losses...
            LOVE the recycled splitter idea, ill be stealing that! ;-)

Nice to see homebrew projects in detail... Kudos to you.

Any idea if the amp will run on 12vdc?
            Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81
            Mine is a 12vdc system but actual output is 15vdc 200 milliamp to the amp at masthead @ 15 meters AGL. Works just fine. RG6 cable also. Was thinking about changing to RG58 but that is 50ohm cable so sticking with RG6 at 75ohm. Outside Temps been down to 17 deg (f)
            Andy T-KTIK1

RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

Comment

• Originally posted by andyk1 View Post
              Mine is a 12vdc system but actual output is 15vdc 200 milliamp to the amp at masthead @ 15 meters AGL. Works just fine. RG6 cable also. Was thinking about changing to RG58 but that is 50ohm cable so sticking with RG6 at 75ohm. Outside Temps been down to 17 deg (f)
              Mine is rated at 14V DC, but when measured (with amplifier connected & working and drawing current), it is 17V DC!!! Anyway it is still within uppper 18V DC rating of the amplifier.

Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                You are still using ZX81 !!!
                It is Sinclair's PC of early 1980's !!!
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81
                You can still buy them! http://www.zx81kit.com/
                www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• I have no doubt that all these little amps come from China and just have differet brand stickers put on them. I would say order from amazon in the uk, but since they seem to only want to despatch stuff costing undr a tenner as an accessory to something costing more ... get it from ebay.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                    I have no doubt that all these little amps come from China and just have differet brand stickers put on them.
                    Yep... they all are made by this company: http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/sate...amplifier.html
                    www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                      Yep... they all are made by this company: http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/sate...amplifier.html
                      Alibaba is a Whole Sale Market place. The minimum quantities to be ordered runs in hundreds & thousands of pieces, directly from Manufacturers or their Sales Agents.
                      I have a bitter experience of ordering from eBay. I got one, no mention of DC Power Supply rating. Asked Seller, got no info. Used 14VDC, the standard Satellite LNB Voltage. Result same with & without Amplifier. Then I went to different stores in my neighborhood and in one of these stores, found RCA D903 for $4, and it worked like a Jinni.
                      Last edited by abcd567; 2013-11-23, 23:00.

Comment

• My advice of old ham radio is to not spend money on amplifiers. The best amplifier is a good antenna.
                        Of course as coaxial cable must be of good quality. The best would be H1000 or LMR400.
                        All the best from Adi - YO2BT - F-LRAR1

Comment

• Nah, put the amp at the antenna... Make up for the cable loss.

Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81

Comment

• Gazza..You are actually talking about 'Two seperate Radio Frequencies' ! Aircraft/ATC is using 'Voice' on AM Frequencies..ie:120Mhz-140Mhz..where as ADS-B is 1090Mhz and is 'Digitially Sent' ! If you are looking for an antenna for 130Mhz Band..there are many 'Vertically Polarized Ground Plane Antenna's available..(very easy to build your own as well !) 120+Mhz can have some 'Interesting Propagation'..where as 1090Mhz is mostly 'LOS' ! Check out my earlier post;
                            LOS (Line of Sight) Calculator

At 1Ghz, Radio Wave reception is mostly LOS..occasionally, you may get some type of 'Inversion', etc. that may increase it somewhat. Here is a simple calculator to see what your station should be receiving..

Note: This does not take into account, any tall buildings, terrain elevation, etc. so if you are in a city, hilly area, etc. results will vary ! Also, to convert Statute Miles to Nautical Miles, you can use this link:
                            Statute Miles vs. Nautical Miles How to convert nautical miles to miles and miles to nautical miles: A statute mile is 5,280 feet in length. A nautical mile is 6,076.11549… feet in length.   To convert from statute to nautical miles a factor of 1.15 is generally used, even though…

F-CYQL1
                            I monitor 6M (50Mhz pretty much daily..and other than a 'Rare Solar Moment'..it is pretty quiet !) Occasionally, I can get some E Skip or F Skip even at 144Mhz..so 'Anything is possible' ! Good Luck with your AC/ATC Rx'ing.. and, Ya..Its Fun !
                            Jerry
                            VE6CPP VE6Jee/p
                            F-CYQL-1
                            Originally posted by gazza View Post
                            hi everyone my Q is could someone tell me which is the best antenna i can have for a alinco dj-x3 receiver i will be putting it on my house chimney.I am only listening for air traffic and were planes are going to and fro. so can someone help please

Comment

• From 'One Old Ham Op to another'.. 'Yes, Feed Line is 'Very Important'.. but on the Rx end..a 'good pre-amp' helps too !
                              Now to Tx thru one..well..'different story, eh' ! ;o)
                              The Sequencer's, Relays, etc. still throw me.. 'had a few 'pop's in my shack' ! 73
                              Jerry
                              VE6CPP VE6Jee/p
                              F-CYQL1
                              Originally posted by yo2bt View Post
                              My advice of old ham radio is to not spend money on amplifiers. The best amplifier is a good antenna.
                              Of course as coaxial cable must be of good quality. The best would be H1000 or LMR400.

Comment

• I noticed whenever there is a thunderstorm, my coverage range increased.

Depending on the direction of the storm, some areas where they are blind spots to me, suddenly showed a unbelievable coverage.
                                F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Working...
                                X