No announcement yet.

best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a reason they built a triple-filtered LNA for ADS-B: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-product-...mhz-ads-b-lna/

The reason is: broadband amplifiers don't work well for ADS-B unless you have your own filters to go with it and even then the above product i likely superior.

Comment

• Originally posted by matysldn View Post
      Has any of you used this LNA? range from 0.1 to 2000 MHz sounds great. I just instaled it but I can see a sudden drop from eg. 100 planes to only 30 and messages from 400 to almost 0. Ive tried with different power supply from 5v to 12v and doesn't make any difference. Any thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11215[/ATTACH]
      There is potentially too much noise around you. Having an LNA with this range increases also the noise where then the ADS-B signals are hidden behind it.
      Reducing gain can help a bit, but a filter optimized to 1090 Mhz would be better

Comment

• Originally posted by magnum View Post
        There is potentially too much noise around you. Having an LNA with this range increases also the noise where then the ADS-B signals are hidden behind it.
        Reducing gain can help a bit, but a filter optimized to 1090 Mhz would be better

Do I need a Filter? - Find RF Signals In Area

Comment

• Hi,

can someone talk about the Jetvision "SCO-1090-MCX" vs a self made spider.
          Currently getting a max of 60nm with the indoor antenna, and I wondered if we are talking about roughly same performance for the spider and the pro antenna or if is really amazing and worth its 70€.

Thank you!

Comment

• I have not used the Jetvision "SCO-1090-MCX" antenna, but have used a home made Spider and the Flightaware 1090 antenna. Although the Spider is very good and simple home made antenna, the Flightaware antenna performs better than it.

The reason is simple:
            Spider is a 1/4 wavelength antenna with ground plane. Such antennas have gain around 2 dBi. Commercial antennas like Flightaware and Jetvision have gain of thw order of 5 to 6 dBi, hence perform better.
            Last edited by abcd567; 2020-02-10, 09:20.

Comment

• +1 for the FA antenna. Home-made is good for starting out or if $ are tight.

Comment

• Consider upgrading to an blue FA prostick+ or green AirNav Flightstick as well.
                Independent of the antenna, those will improve reception.

A spider antenna on the roof with some RG6 or other quality coax that isn't too long, combined with a filtered / amplified receiver should give you 200 nmi of range if the surrounding terrain or houses don't block your view of the horizon.

In short: the spider antenna outside with clear view and proper coax will outperform any antenna that is indoors.
                But if you are limited to having an antenna indoors, the FA antenna is one of the best antennas for that purpose.
                (just realize that you reception is limited when the antenna is indoors)

Comment

• I have received the jetvision antenna, and at a indoor window I have gotten many more messages, but the range only increased slightly (maybe 20nm) over the small indoor antenna
                  Is this all due to my heavy interference with mobile, and the filter will fix it, or do I have to move the antenna outside to really see the benefits?
                  FWIW the "strong messages" method gives me 0.1% with agc
                  Last edited by utack; 2020-02-14, 16:00.

Comment

• Kind of antenna related - got up on the roof this morning and replaced 3x 5m sections of what looked like RG196 coax (with a 15cm N-SMA stub) with 1x 15m length of pre-terminated LMU400 coax and my range is now in excess of 220Nm to the N / NE plus about 20% better than previous to the E & S / SE.

Comment

• utack:
                      It depends on what your obstacles are.
                      ADS-B/1090 MHz is line of sight, so you need a clear line to the aircraft you want to receive (clouds don't count, trees significantly reduce range in that direction)
                      https://forum.flightradar24.com/foru...-get#post89878

Comment

• Wire Collinear With Coil & Mag-mount Ground Plane.

Note: Because of extremely reduced number of flights due to covid19 epidemic, the difference between two whips is not glaring in the graphs. I will re-test after flights are normalized.

Coiled Collinear and Quarter Wave.jpg

Coiled Collinear - SWR - R.jpg

coiled whip - aircraft-R.png

coiled whip - range-R.png
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2020-04-03, 14:14.

Comment

• Wire Collinear with Coil & Ground Plane

(1) SIMULATION: Lower Radiator = 60mm, Upper Radiator = 137mm

SWR = 1.69
                          Gain = 4.98

Coiled Whip - 60mm lower- Radials 45 degree down.png

(2) SWEEP- lower radiator length vs SWR

Coiled whip - Lower wire length vs SWR.png

(3) SWEEP- lower radiator length vs Gain

Coiled whip - Lower wire length vs Gain.png
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2020-04-02, 23:18.

Comment

• My plane count is down to about 1/3 of what it normally is but with cargo still flying between China and New Zealand, I'm still seeing close to my normal Max range...

Comment

• This is at a time when pre-coronavirus there would normally be 150 - 170 aircraft in range!
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• 2 here on a Saturday morning when there would usually be 25-30
                                4th April Virtual Radar Capture.PNG

Comment

Working...
                                X