best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rooster View Post
    Post it up... lets all have a crack at it !
    Good idea, everybody interested can retrieve the full information by sending me an e-mail and then we can see how uniform (or different) results builders may get compared to antennas they have tasted at the same locations!

Comment

• Hello, first time posting. i have been member for many years feeding with my raspberry. now i have 3 locations and i am looking the best antenna for me.

today i was testing the cantenna, i did it with no measuring tool, and using the yellow dongle from flighaware and just get 1 plane =(

then i remember i had the filter also from flightaware and installed it, and in less than 1 second i receive 30 planes, at 200nm+ i feel very happy, and i will install a filter in each of my locations.

i will continue testing what will be the best for me. 200 nautic miles are very good!

Comment

• AlejandroM:

Do I need a Filter? - Find RF Signals In Area
        Last edited by abcd567; 2019-08-20, 04:09.

Comment

• Best filtering at a reasonable price in my opinion is provided by the rtl-sdr LNA.

It requires a bias-t though or the receiver needs a bias-t like this:

But if you already have the FA stick, then getting a FA filter is probably cheaper than changing the whole setup.

Comment

• well, so far is running great, i cant post image, but i will in a couple of posts.

Aircraft (total): 38 Messages: 143.5/sec
            (with positions): 30

is not the best but it is better than before

Comment

• also the coaxial cable is like 10 meters lengh i am thinking at least to cut it to 5-6m that will help?

(1 post more)...

Comment

• I've read about comments to have a better performance if you use a long USB cable and a short with the stick close to the antenna...

Comment

• I struggled to get any good results from a cantenna and eventually went with an 8 element co-axial cable co linear. More complicated to make but not really that difficult. I eventually added a flightaware filter and a satellite preamplifier.

This is what I get typically now and I doubt if I can improve it further because at my location I have hills to the west.
                  Anyway I keep upsetting my wife who feels that at 75 I shouldn't be climbing ladders to the roof!!!

Currently T-EGSY1
                  Aircraft (total): 224 Messages: 1451.9/sec
                  (with positions):157 History: 9951 positions

Comment

• wow @Scroggie, that is awesome, i will try it later.

right now i am showing this. T-MMNL1

myantenna.png

Comment

• also here is my config.myapp.jpg

do you think this will help?

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for ASKA Inline Amplifier 20db Gain for Satellite FTA Coax at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

• That is more or less the same as I am using but because I have 3 receivers I am also going through a splitter which introduces a loss of about 6 db. My coax feeder is about another 6db loss so I can get away with that much extra gain. You have to be careful not to overload the receiver and adjust it's gain to get the best results. The most significant improvement you will see, as I'm sure has been stated by others on here, is to get the antenna in clear space and as high as is practical. Mine is about 2 metres above the highest point of my roof, about 14 metres above ground level. That gives me typically a 260nm every day view to the east with the occasional 349nm maximum burst when condition are special.

Comment

• As i've written a number of times: the filtering is really important.

That's why i would normally recommend the rtl-sdr LNA for 1090 MHz, it has very good filtering.
                          It's of course not as cheap as a satellite amplifier. (https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...of-lna--dongle)

Comment

• Originally posted by AlejandroM View Post
                            also here is my config.[ATTACH=CONFIG]11028[/ATTACH]

do you think this will help?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASKA-Satell...0/163777324965

Please see attached photos in this post:

hi everyone my Q is could someone tell me which is the best antenna i can have for a alinco dj-x3 receiver i will be putting it on my house chimney.I am only listening for air traffic and were planes are going to and fro. so can someone help please ;)

You will note I used 2 satellite LNA. I have installed 2 thinking more is better (it was when I have newly started this hobby)

The dongle was generic dvbt (black) as Flightaware prostick was not yet marketed. Even with 45 feet RG6 coax and generic dvbt, I later discovered the 2nd Satellite LNA did not improve reception, and subsequently I removed it, leaving only 1 satelite amp at antenna.

As you have Flightaware Prostick, which has built in LNA, I dont think adding a Satellite LNA will benefit.
                            Last edited by abcd567; 2019-08-20, 19:28.

Comment

• i saw photos, but it seems like you have 2 in-line amplifiers, i will test later, with different kind of antennas, to see if range gets better.

Comment

• AlejandroM

Please see my post again. I have edited it.
                                If you look at the timings, my edit (19:28) & your post (19:28) crossed.

Comment

Working...
                                X