best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 747-8F View Post
    You right that amplifier comes in that box is 50-900MHz, but I asked do you think it will work if I connect the amplifier I have 950-250MHz to that power injector instead of this amplifier 50-900Mhz.
    Try it without the amplifier first - to check the antenna works and how far it 'sees'.

Then try it with the amplifier and the power injector you have ... It should work, but you will also see if the amplifier actually gives you any benefit (more range). You won't damage anything as long as you are careful that you get the power injector the right way around and push the power to the amplifier and not to the dongle.
    Last edited by peterhr; 2013-11-01, 17:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
      Try it without the amplifier first - to check the antenna works and how far it 'sees'.

Then try it with the amplifier and the power injector you have ... It should work, but you will also see if the amplifier actually gives you any benefit (more range). You won't damage anything as long as you are careful that you get it the right way around and push the power to the amplifier and not to the dongle.
      Excellent idea. This is called the "Scientific Approach"...

Comment

.........(as well as make up the Franklin - from 3/16" copper car brake line - so it can go outside in the wind and rain).........
        If you intend to install your in-Line Amplifier just after the antenna on roof-top, check if it is suitable for outdoor use. The marking on the packing of my RCA one clearly says "Caution. Designed for indoor use only".

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
          If you intend to install your in-Line Amplifier just after the antenna on roof-top, check if it is suitable for outdoor use. The marking on the packing of my RCA one clearly says "Caution. Designed for indoor use only".
          Mine says no such thing, but it's clearly not sealed, so it's wrapped in self amalgamating tape and put under the eaves and is sheltered from all but mist and blown snow.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine says no such thing, but it's clearly not sealed, so it's wrapped in self amalgamating tape and put under the eaves and is sheltered from all but mist and blown snow.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk
            I was thinking of enclosing it in a weather-proof box. Self amalgamating tape wrap is cheaper and much easier. You got a very fertile brain!

Sent from my N762 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I was thinking of enclosing it in a weather-proof box. Self amalgamating tape wrap is cheaper and much easier. You got a very fertile brain!
              I love the self amalgamating tape... Cable TV guys call it 'Sap tape'. As for water tight enclosures I like the Carlon PVC Boxes they sell at the Home depot... if your equipment needs to remain accessible for repairs, then these boxes are the way to go. Always run the cables through holes you drill in the bottom of the case... so no water can't intrude. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/pvc-...x4x4-in/954512

Here are some of mine in action!
              Attached Files
              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                I love the self amalgamating tape

Use only the " 3M " Brand of tape. The cheaper brands are crappy, breaks easily when stretched and don't stick well.

For the past 25 years I used " 3M " and other brands - reverted to " 3M " - very satisfied with it and no looking back.
                F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

I love the self amalgamating tape... Cable TV guys call it 'Sap tape'. As for water tight enclosures I like the Carlon PVC Boxes they sell at the Home depot... if your equipment needs to remain accessible for repairs, then these boxes are the way to go. Always run the cables through holes you drill in the bottom of the case... so no water can't intrude. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/pvc-...x4x4-in/954512

Here are some of mine in action!
                  Seen the pictures. Wow! What an impressive installation!

Comment

Did you try it without the amplifier connected? Right now that none-powered amp will act as a big attenuator, and amazingly you're still getting something... so that's telling me you have strong signals up there on the 8th floor. Remove the amp from the coax line and see what you then get... I bet it'll work a lot better.
                    Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                    I agree with you. Removing the un-powered amplifier is worth giving a try.
                    The reason I used Amplifier was not the low gain or poor performance of Antenna. It was mainly due to long length of cheap, high attenuation coaxial cable.
                    Originally posted by peterhr View Post

Then try it with the amplifier and the power injector you have ... It should work, but you will also see if the amplifier actually gives you any benefit (more range). You won't damage anything as long as you are careful that you get the power injector the right way around and push the power to the amplifier and not to the dongle.
                    Yes I tried without amplifier direct to coax and USB receiver, see picture #1 It worked but the max range was around 60-70nm.

Picture #2 I tried with amplifier to coax to USB receiver, pretty much same.
                    Picture #3 I tried with amplifier and also power supply for the amplifier to get power, but it didn't do nothing
                    Picture #4 I tried with two amplifiers, first one 950-2050Mhz - coax cable - second amp 50-900Mhz - also power supply and NOTHING WORKED !!! all same.

I have no idea what's not working or I'm wrong? I am confused
                    abcd567 you are lucky how you made it and how good is working good job!!

pic1.pngpic2.pngpic3.pngpic4.png

Comment

Yes I tried without amplifier direct to coax and USB receiver, see picture #1 It worked but the max range was around 60-70nm.

Picture #2 I tried with amplifier to coax to USB receiver, pretty much same.
                      Picture #3 I tried with amplifier and also power supply for the amplifier to get power, but it didn't do nothing
                      Picture #4 I tried with two amplifiers, first one 950-2050Mhz - coax cable - second amp 50-900Mhz - also power supply and NOTHING WORKED !!! all same.

I have no idea what's not working or I'm wrong? I am confused
                      abcd567 you are lucky how you made it and how good is working good job!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2845[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2846[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2848[/ATTACH]
                      Did you feed power injector by an AC to DC 12V adaptetr? None of your diagrams show an AC to 12V DC Adapter connected to power injector.

Comment

Did you feed power injector by an AC to DC 12V adaptetr? None of your diagrams show an AC to 12V DC Adapter connected to power injector.

Yes but I forgot to draw the power adapter connected to AC on that black box by USB receiver.
                        Red light was always on.

Comment

• I tried mine with 2 amplifiers - nothing, but it's fine with one.

You did have power feeding the amp? - test with a voltmeter

just try (4) without out the 950-2050 ... don't expect too much though since we're beyond the range for the amp, but who knows - the amp range may be more then is written on the can.

----

Boxes for putting stuff outside, our equivalent of home depot don't sell stuff like that, but I was considering putting the dongle and the raspberry pi up the (short) mast running power over Ethernet. As it is the Pi is indoors & I have a total of 4m of RG58 with an amp in it. I get a nice warm feeling running the Pi but we have so many F- receivers around here I doubt if it shows on the FR24 web page at all most days.

Comment

Using the process of elimination lets to start just forget about the amps.... lets get your antenna first working better, as I believe your antenna is not working anywhere close to what it should be. An amp can't amplify something that's not there... amp's mounted at an antenna head are there to boost the signal to compensate for line loss over a long coax run. First check that your antenna is made correctly, the elements are cut to the right lengths... if not your antenna will not be resonant at 1090MHz and it won't pick up much at that frequency. Also check that you don't have a short from the coax braid to the center wire... the braid is made up of many fine strands and it's easy to get a short and not see it... so check.
                            www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Using the process of elimination lets to start just forget about the amps.... lets get your antenna first working better, as I believe your antenna is not working anywhere close to what it should be. An amp can't amplify something that's not there... amp's mounted at an antenna head are there to boost the signal to compensate for line loss over a long coax run. First check that your antenna is made correctly, the elements are cut to the right lengths... if not your antenna will not be resonant at 1090MHz and it won't pick up much at that frequency. Also check that you don't have a short from the coax braid to the center wire... the braid is made up of many fine strands and it's easy to get a short and not see it... so check.
                              Excellent strategy. 1090MHz: You got a very analytic brain backed by lot of experience.

Comment

I tried mine with 2 amplifiers - nothing, but it's fine with one.

More doesn't means it is good.

In fact, it could saturate the signal, over-drive of the 2nd amplifier and cause less planes to be seen.

My setup is simple - a high gain Omni Antenna, keep the signal loss to the minimum by using GOOD Quality Feeder and shorter length.

I almost enter into F-WBGG1 garden territory.

3 Nov 2013 flight until near Sambas Borneo.jpg
                                F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Working...
                                X