• Left - FlightAware , Right - Flightradar24
    Are these on the same frequency ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster View Post
      Are these on the same frequency ?
      Yup! Both are 1090 MHz ADS-B antennas.
      ex-NZAL1

Comment

• So why not use just the one antenna ???? or receiver for that matter ?

Comment

• Because contractually one is not allowed to feed a provider (FlightAware) with data from another providers equipment (FlightRadar24).
          Michael
          Palmerston North,
          New Zealand
          ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

So why not use just the one antenna ???? or receiver for that matter ?
            Using one antenna or receiver is against the T&C of the agreement.
            ex-NZAL1

Comment

• Blimey - didnt think they would be that mardy !!!! LOL

Comment

Blimey - didnt think they would be that mardy !!!! LOL
                Flightradar don't allow you to feed data from their equipment to rival tracking services, this is very reasonable in my view as they own the hardware.
                If you want to feed flightaware or PlanePlotter then you have to provide your own equipment, if you have your own hardware then you can use one reciever and antenna to feed as many tracking sites as you like (including FlightRadar24) but then you would only be a 'T' feeder not an 'F'.
                I cannot answer the separation question, however an easy test would be to install them progressively closer and see when the range starts to drop off, then post the results for us all to know.
                Ben.
                FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

• Greetings everyone,
                  My question is, has anyone had any beneficial results from using a "Signal Booster" or "Amplifier" of some description?

If yes, what make / model has been used and where was it purchased from?

Regards and thanks in advance,
                  Nigel
                  Host of: FlightRadar24 F-YARM1,2,3 and T-YARM3,5 and FlightAware Sites #12042 and #39479 as well as Radarbox24 Site #PGANRB300831 and Planefinder Site #93858 with RPi running LiveATC all listed as yarmarmidale

Comment

• Originally posted by cloud_9 View Post
                    Thanks guys.Tried to install my FA antenna as far as possible but the length of cable was a major constraint.
                    What type of an antennas U having there please?

Comment

• Originally posted by RoSi View Post
                      What type of an antennas U having there please?
                      Stock antenna's supplied by FlightAware (6dBi) and FlightRadar24 (5dBi).
                      ex-NZAL1

Comment

• Originally posted by YARM.ARMIDALE View Post
                        Greetings everyone,
                        My question is, has anyone had any beneficial results from using a "Signal Booster" or "Amplifier" of some description?
                        l
                        Yes but,
                        I use:
                        Axing SZU 19-00 950 MHz High Pass Filter - Ebay from UK.
                        followed by a satellite TV amplifier - cheap from ebay.

The Sat TV amp has DC passthrough so I dismantled it and removed the inductors from the input and output.
                        The required 12V is then supplied directly to the preamp rather than via the coax.

The amplifier alone increased the signals but I then had severe interference from local strong transmitters on other frequencies.
                        The high pass filter stopped the interference.

Ideally the preamp should be before any losses such as coax cable and filters, but in my case, I need the filter before the preamp.

The cheap preamp is worth a try at the price....

Jim

Edit:

My location is high above Bass Strait with a clear view over the water. Without the preamp, I was receiving some signals from 250nm+
                        With the preamp, the number of reports from 200nm and beyond increased significantly.
                        It made little difference to the close signals.

If you don't have a good view now, a preamp is unlikely to help.
                        Last edited by TassyJim; 2015-06-28, 00:43.

Comment

• I have replaced the plastic pole with a steel one but the number of positions reported have dropped even though this pole is 2 ft. longer than the previous one.Is it because of static build up or there is some other explanation?
                          Last edited by cloud_9; 2015-06-28, 11:03.
                          ex-NZAL1

Comment

• Originally posted by cloud_9 View Post
                            I have replaced the plastic pole with a steel one but the number of positions reported have dropped even though this pole is 2 ft. longer than the previous one.Is it because of static build up or there is some other explanation?
                            Did you electrically isolate the antenna from the pole ? My guess is that the added metal has distorted the radiation pattern... or maybe its Sunday and theres less traffic ? lol

Comment

Did you electrically isolate the antenna from the pole ?
                              Does it mean using an insulator like electrical tape to isolate the antenna clamp and the steel pole.
                              ex-NZAL1

Comment

• Originally posted by YARM.ARMIDALE View Post
                                Greetings everyone,

If yes, what make / model has been used and where was it purchased from?

Regards and thanks in advance,
                                Nigel
                                I use a Satellite in-Line Amplifier, and it has significantly increased both the number of planes and maximum range.

Amplifier: RCA D903 purchased from a local store for $4. It is also available on eBay. There are many other makes/models of amplifier available on eBay.com & Amazon.com, and many are good & reasonably priced.

DC inserter: Home brew, made from a recycled TV Splitter + 200pF Ceramic Capacitor + 4.7 micro Henry Axial inductor, all purchased from a local store. 2-way TV Splitter $1.50, 200pF Ceramic Capacitor $0.25, 4.7 micro Henry axial inductor $1.00. All these parts are available on eBay.com also, very cheap, from China.

DC inserters are available on eBay.com, if you don't want to make a home-brew one.

DC adapter 120V AC to 15V DC, purchased from local store, $5.00.

15V DC adapters are available on eBay.com

DC Voltage Blocker: Home brew, made from a recycled TV Splitter + 200pF Ceramic Capacitor, purchased from a local store. 2-way TV Splitter $1.50, 200pF Ceramic Capacitor $0.25. All these parts are available on eBay.com also, very cheap, from China.

DC Blockers are available on eBay.com, if you don't want to make a home-brew one.

My Setup:

Comment

Working...
                                X