No announcement yet.

best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello guys I'm trying to go for a spider. I made the base of the antenna legs out of an aluminium can.
    My question is where should i start measuring the 69mm for the legs?

This is my situation:
    IMG_20150607_194445.jpg
    (I didn't solder much before so beware)

Comment

• Originally posted by thebenchmark View Post
      Hello guys I'm trying to go for a spider. I made the base of the antenna legs out of an aluminium can.

This is my situation:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]6133[/ATTACH]
      Technically you should measure from the connector - so the wire is going to be shorter than 69mm, but it will make little difference... just make sure the one that connects to the coax centre is accurate.

Comment

• testing my newly built co-linear antenna with 5 segments...

Own Antenna.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by kucengemok View Post
          testing my newly built co-linear antenna with 5 segments...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6141[/ATTACH]
          Good to see someone getting on with it ! lol

What sort of range are you getting, and is the antenna in the clear ? (ie above surrounding buildings etc)

Comment

• indoor antenna....each ring = 50km

adsb dongle.jpg
            Last edited by kucengemok; 2015-06-10, 15:20.

Comment

• Thats pretty good !

Well done, I hope it inspires others to "have a go" !

Thanks for the input

Comment

• Originally posted by thebenchmark View Post
                Hello guys I'm trying to go for a spider. I made the base of the antenna legs out of an aluminium can.

This is my situation:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]6133[/ATTACH]
                I cant believe you tried to solder aluminium into copper rod.
                F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                  I cant believe you tried to solder aluminium into copper rod.
                  Yeah well it holds for now, I just put it up the roof and time will tell whether it'll hold
                  Before that one I was using a fairly ok cantenna and it was just giving a small performance increase compared to the coco.
                  I'm beginning to think that the trees round me are having a greater disadvantage than I hoped.

I ordered an amplifier and some extra cable to test with more height in the future.

Comment

• You CAN solder copper to aluminium, but I wouldn't bother... just use the design of ABCD567's "Six leg spider" , does exactly the same job - only neater !

#2346 in this thread.

If you want to use it outdoors, spray it with lacquer or mummify it with self amalgamating tape !
                    Last edited by Rooster; 2015-06-11, 15:20.

Comment

• Are there any rules on how far apart two receiving antennas should be placed to minimise interference ?
                      ex-NZAL1

Comment

• Originally posted by cloud_9 View Post
                        Are there any rules on how far apart two receiving antennas should be placed to minimise interference ?
                        Yes,. Too avoid Interference from one Antenne to another Antenne,. Is usually 2 (two) Meters

(Meters to Feet = m x 3.2808 ,.... round about 6.56ft)
                        Last edited by delcomp; 2015-06-15, 08:57.
                        (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
                        1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• Originally posted by delcomp View Post
                          Yes,. Too avoid Interference from one Antenne to another Antenne,. Is usually 2 (two) Meters

(Meters to Feet = m x 3.2808 ,.... round about 6.56ft)
                          This simply isnt true ! (sorry)
                          The distance between antennae depends on the antennae in question ! (type of antenna, frequency- or frequencies in use feeder arrangements etc) its a right can of worms, but a good read is found on this page:
                          http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/stacking/stacking2.htm

Comment

• Well,... We are on the Flightradar24 Forum,. So naturally were taking about Reception of ADS.B and ModeS Signals(At least, I was.)
                            Which is recieved on the 1090Mhz Frequency
                            My Antenne (1090SJ ) is a Vertically mounted antenne. (Dipole)
                            That is mounted,. Aprox. 3m above the roof of the house, And about the same from a Dish Antenne,.
                            My 1090SJ Anntenne has been in that position for over four years now,. And during that time,.
                            Ive not experience any Interference from the Dish, and contra, the Dish hasnt any Interference from my antenne.

I,. put it in that position,. After being informed by a radio Amateur,. that it should be at least 2m from other antennes.
                            Which I duely respected

1090Mhz Antenne.jpg

PS. And that is TRUE..!
                            Last edited by delcomp; 2015-06-15, 13:17.
                            (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
                            1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• Its all about the "capture area"... As the dish is focussing a narrow beam its capture area is ALL in front of the dish face, maybe with a 45 degrees upward tilt.
                              The vertical will have little capture area below its base (is that a ground plane I can see ?) so you could quite happily mount it on the top of the dish without either being effected ! (provided its above the chimneys of course...)

Thats quite a high mounting point for a satellite dish BTW ;-)

Comment

• Thanks guys.Tried to install my FA antenna as far as possible but the length of cable was a major constraint.

Left - FlightAware , Right - Flightradar24
                                ex-NZAL1

Comment

Working...
                                X