No announcement yet.

best antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know of any antennas similar to the ones posted in this thread under
    "External Antenna (1' / 300mm antenna, total size 2' / 600mm with mounting bracket and antenna cable)" - Mount not required as I plan to mount outside my window however I just don't want an antenna that's ridiculously big or needs mounting on the roof for example. Anything better than this indoor standard DVB-T stick antenna that came with the USB stick - Can achieve 55nm with this, to 100nm. A thin would be preferred to reach further than 55NM.
    Ran on a raspberry PI, prefer not to have anything with external power.

Thanks,
    Last edited by MatthewE; 2015-01-29, 20:51.

Comment

• Making an inexpensive collinear antenna suitable for 1090MHz ADS-B decoding with RTL-SDR dongles and RTL1090 or ADSB# as well as dedicated virtual radar syst...

Comment

• Looked at this thanks although I don't trust myself to make as such as I know it'll go wrong, I unfortunately don't have the time to do so =[

Comment

• I like this one a bit better.....

www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Part 2
            www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
              Part 2
              Just funnily enough watched both, I might try it but I really find working the length, such going to be a pain and as I said I can't mount it on my roof or get a fibre glass pole to extend it! So I didn't really want to go OTT although I'd have liked something somewhat decent if possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by MatthewE View Post
                ........I just don't want an antenna that's ridiculously big or needs mounting on the roof for example.
                Anything better than this indoor standard DVB-T stick antenna that came with the USB stick - Can achieve 55nm with this, to 100nm. A thin would be preferred to reach further than 55NM.
                Ran on a raspberry PI, prefer not to have anything with external power.

Thanks,
                Try this one (the Cantenna):

Cantenna test setup.jpg . DSC03173-R.jpg .DSC03174-R.jpg . DSC03175-R.jpg . DSC03176-R.jpg
                Last edited by abcd567; 2015-01-30, 01:18.

Comment

• @MatthewE:
                  Further details & eaxamples of Cantenna:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5579[/ATTACH] . Whip measurements-R.PNG.png

Each one by a different person
                  Cantenna - Beans can.jpg . C&D cantenna.jpg . Cantenna.JPG.jpg
                  Last edited by abcd567; 2015-01-30, 01:55.

Comment

• @MatthewE:

tuna fish can monopole_9ame3ehe.jpg . Monopole.jpg . DSC-xxxx2-R.jpg . IMG_20141006_175259 (Small).jpg . DSC03302-R2.JPG.jpeg
                    Last edited by abcd567; 2015-01-30, 01:36.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                      @MatthewE:
                      Further details & eaxamples of Cantenna:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5579[/ATTACH] . [ATTACH=CONFIG]5589[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5581[/ATTACH] . [ATTACH=CONFIG]5582[/ATTACH] . [ATTACH=CONFIG]5583[/ATTACH]
                      Hi, again, abcd567!

Am getting excited with these photos of working (cantenna) models... Am still trying to make my first successful coco... There is still something I am not doing well. Indeed, the "dark arts of coco making" are not easy to master. I have gotten tired with making coco antennas for now. I will rest awhile from it by trying these cantennas...

Is it possible to point out the exact Post no of a successful build of any antenna? For the cantenna you have posted the construction details again above. How about the exact construction details of a successful coco? I know they are somewhere in the "best antenna" thread but wading thru over 2000posts is not easy. I have been jumping around just looking for coco construction details. I may have read about failed attempts (and not realize it).

Recently the construction details of successful Franklin antennas have come up. I have noted these down and will try that later.

How about the other antenna builds, like simple dipole, quarter wave antenna, 8-element yagi and 2-stack yagi, wire collinear antenna? If we could have a summary post of ALL antennas built/discussed in the thread. Just the Post no. of the construction details of the successful build... Or perhaps it has been posted already.... Buried in the 2000+ posts of the thread...

I have the following; perhaps it can be appended...
                      Cantenna - Post #2196
                      Franklin antenna - Post # 2084 and thereabouts
                      Spider antenna - Post #2142

Thanks!
                      Gerry

Comment

• @gquejada:
                        You are right. We need to make an index or summary. This thread is 2000 + posts and it is difficult to dig out things.

TYPE 1
                        Physically small & simple antennas like 1/2 wave Dipole, Spider, Cantenna etc have advantage of having 75 ohm impedance hence perfect impedance match/SWR without any need for phasing & impedance matching. These are not sensitive to accuracy, and a few mm error will not substantially degrade performance, hence these are good fo DIY novice. However these have disadvantage of low gain (of the order of 1.5 to 2 dBi), hence need an amplifier to cover for weak signals from distant plane and to cover for attenuation in coax feed line.

TYPE 2
                        Physically larger, multi element antennas like CoCo, Franklin, Coiled Whips etc have high gain (of the order of 4 to 9 dBi), so give better results compared to tiny ones listed above when both are used without amplifier. However they have biggest disadvantage that these are required to be very accurately made to get proper phasing & impedance match. A few mm inaccuracy completely knocks down these antennas from excellent to poor. The accuracy condition is met in factory environments with computer-aided design, templates, jigs, molds, and test equipment, but is very difficult to meet in DIY situation. Hence the failures.

For a new DIY enthusiast, it is best to start with simple tiny ones (type 1) with amplifier added. At later stage the DIY enthusiast can try the more sophesticated ones (type 2)
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2015-01-31, 03:45.

Comment

Looked at this thanks although I don't trust myself to make as such as I know it'll go wrong, I unfortunately don't have the time to do so =[
                          For a ready made antenna, search ebay for adsb antenna. They work really well especially the ones from Eastern Europe.
                          T-EGUB1

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                            Try this one (the Cantenna):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5574[/ATTACH] . [ATTACH=CONFIG]5575[/ATTACH] .[ATTACH=CONFIG]5576[/ATTACH] . [ATTACH=CONFIG]5577[/ATTACH] . [ATTACH=CONFIG]5578[/ATTACH]
                            Problem being they're not very sturdy outside
                            In addition you may know the answer, on piAware if I plug the dvbt stick directly into usb it's fine but if I plug it in the same slot using a usb extender it says no devices and won't boot properly?
                            Originally posted by trigger View Post
                            For a ready made antenna, search ebay for adsb antenna. They work really well especially the ones from Eastern Europe.
                            I was looking before, these don't require external power do they? - how long estimate do they deliver within? 7 days?

Comment

Problem being they're not very sturdy outside
                              In addition you may know the answer, on piAware if I plug the dvbt stick directly into usb it's fine but if I plug it in the same slot using a usb extender it says no devices and won't boot properly?........
                              Example of an 8 legged Spider and a Cantenna mounted outdoors
                              Antennas.jpg

Comment

• 1090 Mhz,
                                Thanks for those links to the Youtube vids. I'm a former electrician but don't know very much about antennas of any sort and have found those vids extremely helpful in understanding some of the technical detail. Anything I did know I've long forgotten anyway.
                                I posted the original vid of that guy sniffling throughout and putting the DIY colinear together (made from RG-6) earlier on this thread (one of which I've made but not yet tested outside) but even I woudn't be able to find it now the thread has grown so much and appreciate that some one has re-posted it.

absd567,
                                Thanks to you also for your brilliant posts re antennas. They are also extremely helpful, I'm sure to all the guys interested in DIY's and antennas in general.

... and thanks to anyone I've missed.

Regards,
                                Gregg
                                Last edited by fungus; 2015-01-31, 10:40.
                                YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Working...
                                X