Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Spider

DSC03467-R.jpg . DSC03469-R.JPG . DSC03471-R.JPG . DSC03475-R2.jpg

One Hour Trial Run- No amplifier, 5 meters/15 feet cheap quality RG6 coax between Spider Antenna & USB Receiver.
    Max range 225 nm (Range Rings are 50nm apart)
    Spider Antenna 1 hr trial run -Dec21, 2014.jpg
    Last edited by abcd567; 2014-12-22, 02:15.

Comment

• Spider Main Parts List:

(1) Connector UHF SO239 solder type, panel mount 4-hole 25mm flange:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Connector-SO...-/271456478469
      SO-239.jpg

(2) UHF male plug PL-259 to F female Connector:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-female-jac...-/171488687544
      PL-259 to F Female.JPG

Comment

• Comparison of Spider with Cantenna
        No amplifier, 5 meters/15 feet cheap quality RG6 coax between Antenna & USB Receiver - for both Spider & Cantenna.

Spider Antenna 4 hrs trial run - maximum range 225nm (range rings are 50nm apart)
        DSC03471-R.jpg . Spider Antenna 4 hr trial run -Dec21, 2014.jpg

Cantenna 3 hrs trial run - maximum range 225nm (range rings are 50nm apart)
        DSC03477-R.jpg . Cantenna 3 hr trial run -Dec21, 2014.jpg

Note: Spider's coverage screenshot was taken at 9:30 in evening, when number of planes is large, whereas cantenna's coverage screenshot was taken half an hour after midnight, when number of planes drops considerably.
        Last edited by abcd567; 2014-12-22, 14:10.

Comment

• I've overlaid the Heywhatsthat range from my location with the range plot from Virtual Radar Server. The blue line is 40,000' and the Orange is 30,000' This is with my 24 element CoCo. Doesn't look like I can get much better.
          24 element CoCo range.jpg
          T-EGUB1

Comment

• Originally posted by trigger View Post
            I've overlaid the Heywhatsthat range from my location with the range plot from Virtual Radar Server. The blue line is 40,000' and the Orange is 30,000' This is with my 24 element CoCo. Doesn't look like I can get much better.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5250[/ATTACH]
            Once you have reached line of sight limit set by curvature of earth, your terrain & antenna height, you cannot increase range by increasing gain of antenna. The only way is to increase height of antenna, but not in feet, rather in hundreds of feet. Cant afford an antenna mast several hundred feet high.

Just for fun, try heywhatsthat.com again and instead of your antenna's actual height (20 or 30 feet?), enter 100 feet. You will see some increase in range, but not much. Now enter 2000 feet as your antenna's height. I am sure it will cover a latge part of UK, Spain & France.

Alternatively tie your antenna to a helium filled baloon & let it float at 2000 feet above ground and let VRS plot the coverage

By the way, you have done a good job in Photoshop to overlay the two plots.
            Last edited by abcd567; 2014-12-23, 12:50.

Comment

• Amazing! How can they sell at such a low price, and that with free shipping from china to any place in the world!!!!

Chinese in line amplifier.jpg

Canadian $3.66 = US $3.14 = € 2.58 + free international shipping from china

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221636917204

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                Amazing! How can they sell at such a low price, and that with free shipping from china to any place in the world!!!!
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/221636917204[/b]
                but not the UK
                T-EGUB1

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                  Amazing! How can they sell at such a low price, and that with free shipping from china to any place in the world!!!!
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/221636917204[/b]
                  I tested the inline amplifier with two power injectors, but it didn't work. There was no aircraft detected.

The left side is connected to an 8-elements coco, the power injector on the right is connected to the USB receiver dongle on Raspberry Pi. The power injector is connected to 16.8V power supply (measured with a multimeter).

There's voltage measured on the left end (ANT) of the amplifier, but no voltage measured on the left end (HF) of the dc blocking that connects to the antenna.

Is the setup correct?

amplifier-power-inserter.jpg

Comment

• Hi bezeefly, looks OK to me. The left hand DC blocker is doing its job by stopping the volts going up the antenna. For a coco, this DC blocker is used as insurance in case you have a short in the coco which would fry the amp.

Do you see aircraft without the amp and blockers?
                    T-EGUB1

Comment

• Hi trigger, I can see aircrafts without the amp and blockers. The best distance I manage to track is about 290 KM.

When I installed the amp and blockers, the aircraft count dropped to zero. Removing the left hand DC blocker and connected the antenna to the amp didn't work too.

Comment

• Comment

• Thank you ABCD. Seasons' Greetings to you and to the rest of our little "antenna gang" here.

Comment

• Originally posted by bezeefly View Post
                            Hi trigger, I can see aircrafts without the amp and blockers. The best distance I manage to track is about 290 KM.

When I installed the amp and blockers, the aircraft count dropped to zero. Removing the left hand DC blocker and connected the antenna to the amp didn't work too.
                            Check the DC polarity. The center wire of coax should be positive (+) and shield/braid negative (-).

Most probaly you have connected power adapter's negative (-) wire to coax's core & positive wire to cox's shield braid. Check polarity b a voltmeter or multimeter.

Comment

• The DC polarity is correct, where the centre wire of coax is connected to the power adapter's positive (+).

The description of the amp stated:

This is a high quality inline amplifier with up to 20dB gain. This amplifier is DC passive. For long satellite cable runs and improvement of satellite signal strength. No need for separate power supply.

Probably the amp doesn't work at all. I've ordered another model of amp to test it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bezeefly View Post
                                The DC polarity is correct, where the centre wire of coax is connected to the power adapter's positive (+).

The description of the amp stated:

This is a high quality inline amplifier with up to 20dB gain. This amplifier is DC passive. For long satellite cable runs and improvement of satellite signal strength. No need for separate power supply.

Probably the amp doesn't work at all. I've ordered another model of amp to test it.
                                "No need for separate power supply"
                                Because Satellite receiver supplies the DC power. The DVB-T receiver does NOT supply DC power, hence need for separate power supply & DC Combiner.

"This amplifier is DC passive"
                                It is badly written. It should be "This amplifier is DC passing" i.e. the DC applied at receiver terminal of amplifier is passed by the amplifier to the ANT terminal, so that satellite LNB also gets the DC.

Just to make sure that your power inserter (DC Combiner) is working OK, and power is available at ANT terminal of the amplifier, do the two tests shown in the sketchs below:

(1) With this test, you should get dc voltage at ANT terminal. If not, your power inserter (dc combiner) is defective.
                                Chinese in line amplifier-test1.JPG

(2) With this test (i.e. amplifier removed, rest as before) you should see your normal 250 km range. If not, the power inserter (dc combiner) is defective and grounding or blocking 1090 Mhz signal.
                                bezeefly_amplifier-power-inserter_TEST.JPG
                                Last edited by abcd567; 2014-12-25, 08:04.

Comment

Working...
                                X