How can I reduce noise in my settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I reduce noise in my settings

Hi there, I started with RadarBox setup (all in one receiver+antenna+cable) and I wanted to improve my data, so I went to this thread to optimize.

For several reasons, it's not practical for me to build an antenna. I've read many posts on how to, but I'd really just like to buy an antenna, attach it to my roof, connect it, and get "good" reception. I live on top of a mountain with unobstructed views almost 360 degrees, overlooking the ocean. I've tried searching

I will have to post several posts, since only 5 attachments are allowed per post. I know its alot of details, but what I learned is, the more information you have, the better you can support. Thanks alot for your patience and help.

Following conditions apply:

Hardware:
    Antenna: https://vinnant.sk/store/product/cc10909-pse
    KOAX SMA Cable: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0B7F9TNFY?th=1 (2m)
    Receiver: https://flightaware.store/products/pro-stick-plus
    Filter: https://flightaware.store/products/b...-1090-only-mhz

I compared it to my previous setup Radarbox (all in one): https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07TZG3KMQ

Location: https://www.google.de/maps/@50.0098846,8.9939396,14 which is around 16NM from the busy airport EDDF Frankfurt in Germany.

Software: 1090Graphs is Flightaware with PiAware Autogain enabled:
    Snapshot 10022024 1051UTC.jpg

My maximum theoretically possible range for planes at FL450 should be around 300NM to the N and W.
    Up in the Air 45000ft.png

I got some mobile phone masts around me, but we live in a very small city. So I guess interference is low:

mobile phone masts.jpg
    ​​
    Last edited by Imaduffus; 2024-02-14, 21:27.

With RadarBox I got following results:

Radarbox only 1090FA first 8h.jpg

​​
    Radarbox only 1090FA.jpg
    Radarbox only FR24.jpg

My conclusion: Noise is ca 5% so its nice. Range is okay.

​​
    Last edited by Imaduffus; 2024-02-14, 22:14.

Comment

Later I got the new Antenna and the SLMR400 cable (2m) which I connected to the RadarBox receiver and I got following results:

Radarbox with Koaxial SLMR-400 Kabel 2m on Vinnant CC10909-PSE 1090FA.jpg
      Radarbox with Koaxial SLMR-400 Kabel 2m on Vinnant CC10909-PSE FR24.jpg

My conclusion: Range, aircraft seen is almost the same, but positions and hits improves. Nevertheless noise is very high

Finally I got the FlightAware Stick Pro and connected the Pi with the Receiver and the SLMR400 cable (2m) to the VINNANT and I got following results:​​

FA StickPro with Koaxial SLMR-400 Kabel 2m on Vinnant CC10909-PSE 1090FA.jpg

My conlusion after overnight measurement (lost data after midnight because of pi shutdown next day): Noise was not better. So I attached the filter directly behind the receiver​​
      Last edited by Imaduffus; 2024-02-14, 22:17. Reason: SCREENS WERE NOT VISIBLE

Comment

FlightAware Stick Pro connected to FA1090 Bandpass Filter connected to the SLMR400 cable (2m) connected to VINNANT and I got following results:​​

FA StickPro+FA 1090MHz Bandpass Filter.jpg

Yes, its improvised, since we wil get a new roof next month :-)!​​​
        Koaxial SLMR-400 Kabel 2m on Vinnant CC10909-PSE 1090FA.jpg

FA StickPro+FA 1090MHz Bandpass Filter with Koaxial SLMR-400 Kabel 2m on Vinnant CC10909-PSE 1090FA.jpg

FA StickPro+FA 1090MHz Bandpass Filter with Koaxial SLMR-400 Kabel 2m on Vinnant CC10909-PSE FR24.jpg

My Conclusion: Noise is still high, I have some more range, but not significant.10% more aircrafts seen but that might be the same over the week, Positions reported almost the same, 10% more hits reported, but that correlates with 10% more aircraft seen.
        The filter did not helped alot to reduce the noise, so I guess that the noise is 1090Mhz noise, which might come from the busy airport at Frankfurt EDDF. This noise "hides" aircraft from further away?

I read, that noise should be below 5%. I am at 20%+ depending on daytime. Frankfurt does not allow departures after 22-23UTC. So it supports the theory that the airport produces this noise.

So my question. Is there ANY chance to improve noise reduction on my setup? I am not very familiar with pi commands and SkyAware, but I read, that there are some settings that you can try.

Thanks alot for your support.

PS: I read, that putting the Bandpass Filter directly behind the antenna before putting it on the cable might improve results, but it will be exposed to weather conditions and I don't know if it kills the filter after some time.​​
        Last edited by Imaduffus; 2024-02-14, 22:19. Reason: Screens were not visible

Comment

Your gain is set too high and that is making the receiver going deaf for longer range signals.
          You are using the autogain feature and it might be wise to go for a manual approach in order to get the noise down.
          Look at this post at Flightaware on how to get the optimal setting for your receiver.
          thanks just as well then I think for now the flightware stick and filter is the best option (my friend has an antenna with a non removable cable so fitting the lna close to the antenna is not an option) Thanks all for your help!

Comment

Flightaware 1090 Antenna → Flightaware 1090 Filter → Flightaware ProStick Plus (Blue) → OrangePiPC → 32-bit Armbian Bookworm → dump1090-fa ver 9.0

Gain Settings in file /etc/default/dump1090-fa :

RECEIVER_GAIN=60
            ADAPTIVE_DYNAMIC_RANGE=yes
            ADAPTIVE_BURST=yes

RESULT: Messages > -3 dBFS (6.0 % of messages)

dump1090-localhost-local_trailing_rate-24h.png

dump1090-localhost-misc-24h.png

etc-default-dump1090-fa.png

Comment

Hey there, and thanks alot!
              I finally got it running with low noise, with a little less range, but its okay for me.

Should I setup the "adaptive minimum gain" so I get more range in exchange of more noise up to less than 5%?

grafik.png

My setup right now looks like:
              Antenna -> cable -> filter -> receiver -> Pi

Some people say, the filter directly behind the antenna would be better ( Antenna - > filter -> cable-> receiver->Pi). Any suggestions?
              Last edited by Imaduffus; 2024-02-18, 14:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Imaduffus View Post
                ​​​I finally got it running with low noise, with a little less range, but its okay for me.

Should I setup the "adaptive minimum gain" so I get more range in exchange of more noise up to less than 5%?
                (1) Your figure for "Messages < -3 dBFS (0.8%) is too low. Seems you have changed following parameter from default 60 to something very low.

RECEIVER_GAIN=60

Please change it back to 60, and REBOOT Pi

(2) I have never tried to set a value for following, just left these blank as below
                ADAPTIVE_MIN_GAIN=
                ADAPTIVE_MAX_GAIN=​

Can not tell what is the effect of setting a value to these. You may try and see.

Originally posted by Imaduffus View Post
                My setup right now looks like:
                Antenna -> cable -> filter -> receiver -> Pi

Some people say, the filter directly behind the antenna would be better ( Antenna - > filter -> cable-> receiver->Pi). Any suggestions?
                ​​​​​​That saying for placing next to antenna is for LNA, and not for filter.
                Last edited by abcd567; 2024-02-18, 16:22.

Comment

Hi abcd567, thanks for this advice. My dump1090-fa was set to "RECEIVER GAIN 60"

grafik.png

And as far as I remember, I rebootet the Pi afterwards. I reboot it again and hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
                  X