Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for receiver kit

Hi

I'm extremely new to this and I'm based in New Zealand I would like to get a receiver to receive the ads-b data and feed it to some services. However I have no idea what to buy. I want something that's very easy to set up and get running and doesn't require a lot of stuff something that's under 200 New Zealand dollars but is good decent quality I sort of just want to be able to plug everything in turn it on and start seeing all the aircraft in my area pop up on my screen on my MacBook or my Windows laptop. Any suggestions on here would be greatly appreciated as I said I'm new to this I've been trying to get a fr24 receiver 4 years but had failed I thought it was time I got my own thank you kindly appreciate

Unfortunately due to our location, and most of the makers doing them in Euros. For an all-in-one unit that is about half the starting point excluding an antenna! The likes of the beast and SBS back in the day were upward of 400 time you got it landed. And looking now even the radar cape would set you back $530

If you want a semi easy go-to for now you can ebay or trademe a USB dongle that will go into the windows PC. BUT, it won't be able to feed any/many services as they have all dropped and moved to linux/raspberry pi uploader development. They can be had for about $20-25 and a simple antenna trim can increase the standard range capabilities.

But it will at least get you a starting point for local viewing (and un-hiding some of those hidden/unknowns). Which if you want to go further, could get a Raspberry Pi kit from element17/RS electrics or Wavetech here in chc

If you do want to try a dongle, make sure it's one advertised as having an RTL2832 and Rafael Micro R820T/2‎ tuner
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hey oblivian

Thanks so much for the reply I appreciate it I was looking at something like this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/AirNav-RadarB...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

then maybe down the track I could buy a raspberry pie box and plug it into the raspberry pieAnd I believe this software you can get for raspberry pie

Comment

Yeah that's a glorified TV stuck with a port added and a few extra components to try clean up the data thrown in.

'Dump1090' is the core decoder that talks to it. And there is a basic windows version. But there is also pre-baked images for Pi that you type in some details. Plug the stick in and it's away feeding.

Bit of work to get a local app showing on windows in both cases
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by timdevnz View Post
          Hey oblivian

Thanks so much for the reply I appreciate it I was looking at something like this on Amazon.
          Much to my surprise, the AirNav Flightstick works very well. I've had one running 24x7 since last year, connected to an RPi.

As Oblivian says, you can get SD card images to download to start seeing your local data and uploading to tracking websites. A key component will be your antenna and where you place it.

Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

I am using Air Nav FlightStick (green color) with my RPi for one and half years. It is very good for its price. It has a builtin SAW (1090mhz filter) chip and a LNA (rf amplifier) chip.

I have 2 of these, both working great.

The first one I purchased one and half year ago in January 2019 from Radarbox Store for $9.95+ shipping $4.99.

The 2nd one I purchased couple of months ago in Feb 2020 directly from their site when they made a special offer for US $9 and free shipping to Canada. The offer ended within about a month.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07K47P7XD $40.69

https://www.radarbox.com/store $24.95

You may also see this post

RF Scan of Various Combinations of Dongles, Filter, and LNA

20200622_074621.jpg
            Last edited by abcd567; 2020-06-22, 11:47.

Comment

Working...
            X