My setup is not giving me the results I was hoping for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My setup is not giving me the results I was hoping for

Edit: I have purchased a Flightware Pro Stick Plus and the range has increased dramatically, now getting 106nm

Hello forum,

as someone with very new Raspberry setup I feel like I need your help to analyze why the range of my setup is quite low.
    I started of with the cheap jetvision ads-b dongle, and a raspberry pi with tiny indoor antenna facing a south window in the attic, roughly 8m above ground.
    The Pi is running dump1090-mutability with agc.
    The peak range reported by FR24 was 72nm, which seemed not great but reasonable to me.
    There was some cellphone interference in the area (image below, compared to the current setup)

I wanted to achieve more, so I ordered a better antenna and a filter.
    The results however are poor, the range is now reported as 88nm, not at all what I was hoping for.
    The comparison of the frequency scan with indoor antenna vs new antenna+filter setup:
    https://i.imgur.com/NCjUt9d.png

I also ran the "strong signals" method from here and i get a 0.15% number even with max gain instead of the 5% that are said to be a good number for it.
    Edit: Now at 0.5% at max gain

The building is in an area of medium density, other buildings are not much higher. Some trees are here that are taller.
    However there is a silver vapour barrier all over the inside of the roof, which might be aluminum foil. I once put the indoor antenna directly into the peak of the roof and reception was totally dead.

Now I need your help what to do next:
    Where can I improve this setup to get a resonable range?
    Is the filter to poor. can the Jetvision dongle not handle it or Is the building roof construction a complete death sentence for good signals from 360?

I am hoping you can help me, otherwise the pricey hardware that only gave me another 25nm will be returned, I am a bit frustrated about this situation.

Thank you very much for your ideas!
    Last edited by utack; Yesterday, 15:17.
Working...
X