X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiedehopf
    replied
    Latitude is normally negative in Australia, so you want -27

I'm not sure if you can change units in dump1090-mutability, you can in dump1090-fa though.
    I'll just link this again: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-sc...for-dump1090fa
    Via the settings cog you can change the units.

And the graphs you want as well, believe me https://github.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090#graphs1090

Leave a comment:

• POR911
    replied
    OK, sort of success. I now have aircraft messages etc, so far out to 58? not sure if miles or kms...Where do I adjust this on the open street map? Another issue, I must have burked my lat/lon, because instead on being in Brisbane Australia, I am some where in the Pacific ocean near Guam. From I could work out my Lat was 27.463177 and Long was 153.08818 ...anyway, we get closer, and considering my very very basic antenna, it is atleast some thing.
    Great work abcd

Leave a comment:

• POR911
    replied
    I use Putty ok now...I think More just getting used to commands structure. Sort of like going back to my DOS days moving about directories.
    I had a bit of fun getting my fan shim working, because the Raspbian buster lite has some parts missing that fan shim needs. Anyway, soon resolved after loading the latest updates and pip3, and a few terms that are not included in the lite versions.
    Not sure why I have the RPi connected to a monitor, when is all it shows is the initial boot sequence. From then on, all other screen info is via my main screen with putty...OK, onwards. today, finally hope to get the dump1090-mutability installed and FR24 data feeder working. I created a small whip antenna, as I do not have any connections to go between the RPi and my scanner antenna. Though, as usual, a busy real world day so, realistically, this week.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied

Raspberry Pi (B+, Zero, RPi2, RPi3 & RPi4) - Installation instructions for Raspbian, Dump1090 & Data Feeder

Scroll down and see following items:

1.6 - Enable SSH

1.9 - Access and control of RPi from Desktop/Laptop using SSH
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-13, 19:03.

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    Work on Putty first. https://discussions.flightaware.com/...-windows/44432

Massively more convenient than having to have an extra keyboard/monitor.
    Also allows you to copy paste commands.

Raspbian lite basically has no graphical interface, but everything else is normal.
    You can install anything you want.

Really no need to shut down the RPi
    But
    sudo reboot
    is useful

Leave a comment:

• POR911
    replied
    Real World...Even though retired, it seems my adult kids still call me to help with some thing and or my wife finds some thing, or my 'day job' (share trading)...garden...F1 race in Tokyo today as well as Bathurst (Australian super car race) etc...never ending But, getting there. Managed to get the RPi booted and happy and worked out shutdown command...sudo shutdown now...little steps. Thinking more about the Flightaware dongle, maybe using Putty, my need to connect anything to the other RPi USB slots not really needed?
    I looked at your tools...very smart. Because I am using a lite version of Raspberian, tools are a bit light on.

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    RW? What do you mean?

Leave a comment:

• POR911
    replied
    Thanks Wiedehopf, Still at the boot...what does this mean and do phase. RW keeps rearing its head, so have to keep dropping by the office and tinker. When I created the image, I also created a SSH text entry in the boot area. Not sure why yet, but Its need will pop up eventually. I loaded the lite version, so its not big on assistance.
    I noticed that when you plug in the Flightaware dongle, it leaves no room to use the other three USB. So it looks like I need a right angle USB and or a USB extension...a good one of course.
    Last edited by POR911; 2019-10-13, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    Having more space doesn't hurt, expand away.

If you don't have SSH access already, you will want to enable it in that menu.
    Maybe set your timezone?

I'm partial to the tools below because i maintain those install scripts and for some stuff like tar1090, i've done some extensive modifications on that:
    Hello, i've been maintaining some addons for dump1090-fa, i've linked them sometimes but they might as well have their own thread here. They are meant for Raspbian Stretch and later, but they should work on Debian and Ubuntu as well. The graphs and tar1090 will work with other dump1090 versions, but dump1090-fa is still

If you install dump1090-fa with one of my scripts, all that's needed is that you have setup fr24feed before.
    If fr24feed isn't getting any data/planes, the install script for dump1090-fa will fix that and supply data.
    The signup process where you get a share key and provide your mail address needs to be already completed though.

Have fun tinkering, are you receiving planes yet?

Leave a comment:

• POR911
    replied
    When you first log into the RPi, and you get to the config screen, do I need to do anything here? I guess change the password, and maybe update tool to the latest version? and i suppose any other updates? I saw in advanced options, A1, Expand file system? Do I need more space? How do you quit the RPi...
    Getting there.....

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by POR911 View Post
    ... then reboot before (c)?
    Not ncessarym but preferred

Then, can I copy and paste below (shift/ctl/c and shift/ctr/v)

... sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/dump1090/master/install_dump1090_mut_1.15.sh)" from here to the RPi?
    (1) Copy from web page: shift/ctl/c. Paste inside PuTY: Bring cursor (green rectabgle) to the point where you want to copy, then place mouse pointer anywhere on PuTTY and Right-Click the mouse.

STEPS 1 & 2 in screenshot below
    How to Copy-Paste To or From PuTTY.png

(2) Avoid copying from a web page outside the code block as often URL are shortened in web page and fail in PuTTY
    Copy only from inside a code block (see below).
    Code:
    sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/dump1090/master/install_dump1090_mut_1.15.sh)"

(c) Install dump1090-mutability (Steps 1 to 10).

Is the action above all I need to do before (d)
    Do steps 10, 11 & 12 only after completing steps1 to 6 (7,8, & 9 are optional)

It is important that first dump1090-mutability is installed, and data feeders are installed after dump1090-mutability has been installed.
    YES, VERY IMPORTANT, else FR24 feeder will create a mess

When I see code writen in multiple lines, for example below, is it carried out by entering line 1..wait until done, then line 2 etc, or copy/paste the lot together?
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install lighttpd
    sudo apt-get install dump1090-mutability
    sudo lighty-enable-mod dump1090
    ONE-BY-ONE

Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-13, 06:34.

Leave a comment:

• POR911
    replied
    ok, RW stuff out of the way, Looking at abc thread, .....How to Install dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev on RPi..(now not dev)

TO HAVE A TROUBLE FREE INSTALLATION, IT IS REQUIRED TO MAKE A FRESH INSTALL, AS SHOWN BELOW:
    (a) Format microSD Card
    ...done
    (b) Write Raspbian Image....done Rasbian lite image...I assume now, I need to get the RPi working and connected to PC and net. Also, putty working, IP addresses sorted, then check for RPi updates etc, then reboot before (c)?

Then, can I copy and paste below (shift/ctl/c and shift/ctr/v)

... sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/dump1090/master/install_dump1090_mut_1.15.sh)" from here to the RPi?

(c) Install dump1090-mutability (Steps 1 to 10).

Is the action above all I need to do before (d)

(d) Install data feeders FR24, Flightaware, & Planefinder (Steps 11, 12, & 13).

It is important that first dump1090-mutability is installed, and data feeders are installed after dump1090-mutability has been installed.

When I see code writen in multiple lines, for example below, is it carried out by entering line 1..wait until done, then line 2 etc, or copy/paste the lot together?
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install lighttpd
    sudo apt-get install dump1090-mutability
    sudo lighty-enable-mod dump1090

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    POR911:

The signal path inside ProStick Plus (dark blue) is as follows:

RF in >> LNA >> SAW filter >> DVB-T

The LNA being before the filter, encounters the cell/mobile, TV, & FM signals picked by the antenna. In most locations these signals are quiet strong, and the LNA gets swamped/overloaded by these. In most locations, an external filter between ProStick and antenna is required to remove these signals so that these dont reach and swamp LNA.

The RadarBox24 FlightStick has filter chip before LNA, and generally dont require an external filter, except at very RF noisy locations.

RF in >> SAW filter >> LNA >> DVB-T

Anyway, dont worry now for the filter. Hookup your Diamond Discone to ProStick and see what you get.Once your system with Discone is up and running, you can conduct an RF scan very easily which will show what signals are arriving at the dongle.

Do I need a Filter? - Find RF Signals In Area
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-12, 03:37.

Leave a comment:

• POR911
    replied
    Thanks for this abc, Yeah, right.....sort of like reading a doctors rendition of his findings. So my limited understanding is that before the advent of filters, my discone would swamp the 1090Mhz signal I am looking for with other signals far more powerful. But, with the Prostick filter, I will have a better chance? Though, maybe my little spide to be built maybe better?
    Last edited by POR911; 2019-10-12, 01:59. Reason: later thought

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    From Flightaware forums.
    Dated January 2015 (before Flightaware ProSticks existed)

Originally posted by k6rtm
    Here is part of what will eventually be one of a number of web pages on ADS-B related topics.

You may have run into one or more of my posts talking about filters. Why are they needed and what will they do? Let's look at some real world data.

I have a discone antenna on the roof, with good feedline (9913) to my office downstairs. We have a good view of the Silicon Valley.

When I connect the discone to my spectrum analyzer (a venerable HP8594E), here's what it sees:

This is the spectrum from 50 MHz to 2.0 GHz, along the horizontal axis. The vertical axis is signal intensity, at 10 dB intervals. The numbered diamonds are frequencies of interest

<1> is 1090 MHz, the frequency we're interested in. Any ADS-B signals are down in the weeds.
    <2> is 2451 MHz, a nearby 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi access point
    <3> is 884 MHz, a DTV station
    <4> is 748 MHz, another DTV station
    <5> (no diamond) is around 1900 MHz, a local cell site

The spikes below <4> are other DTV stations, business band things, and the FM broadcast band.
    Those DTV stations are around 30dB stronger than any signal we want at 1090 MHz -- 30dB is a factor of 1000!
    From this it's clear that we have a LOT of signals that are hundreds to thousands of times stronger than the ADS-B ones we want. These strong signals are going to swamp our little SDR!

Let's put a Mini Circuits SHP-1000 high pass filter between the antenna and the spectrum analyzer. Here's what we get:

Pretty much everything below 750 MHz is gone. The spike at <4>, 748 MHz, has been cut by 25 dB -- a 320 times reduction. Our spike at <3>, 884 MHz, has been cut by 6 dB, which is pretty good.

Note that our cell site at <5> is untouched -- this is a high pass filter after all.

The addition of a high pass filter has cleaned up the signal we need to work with tremendously. This will be all a lot of sites need to improve ADS-B reception. Another advantage to adding a high pass filter is that the filter will provide some protection for the front end of the SDR.

What about these incredible surface acoustic wave (SAW) filters? What do they do? Here's the frequency response of the EPCOS 1090 MHz SAW filter:

This frequency sweep is from 50 MHz to 1200 MHz, not 2.9 GHz like the top two; the response from 1200 to 2900 MHz isn't that interesting.
    This SAW has a measured insertion loss of 4.72 dB at the center frequency, measured at 1089 MHz. The measured 3 dB bandwidth is about 26 MHz. Signals below 1100 MHz are attenuated by around 46 -- gone. (This plot was generated by a HP 85630A scalar test set which works with the HP8594E spectrum analyzer.)

The combination I use -- a SHP-1000 high pass filter connected to the discone antenna. This filters out most of the garbage, and more important, has a very low insertion loss, so we're not attenuating the signals we're interested in by much. The output of the high pass filter goes to a low noise amplifier (LNA). The LNA is followed by a SAW -- and the LNA compensates for the insertion loss of the SAW. This provides a signal for the SDR to process that only has energy around 1090 MHz.

And by the way, if you have a SDR, you have a spectrum analyzer -- you can find out just what your antenna is delivering, with and without a filter.

--bob k6rtm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X