Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Option 1, with the dongle attached to a Raspberry Pi and using Buster as the Raspbian OS flavour of choice, note that the package name under Buster is "python-pil" instead of "python-imaging" - otherwise everything else appears to be correct, and generates the nice pictures the same as the other examples above.

For my current location I've got very strong GSM signals, and have had very good results (out to the heywhatsthat limit anyway) with the RTL-SDR triple-filtered LNA, with both the RTL-SDR dongle and Airspy Mini receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by cathalferris View Post
      For Option 1, with the dongle attached to a Raspberry Pi and using Buster as the Raspbian OS flavour of choice, note that the package name under Buster is "python-pil" instead of "python-imaging".
      Thanks for the useful info. It will help those who use buster

Comment

Hi,

I need some help. I've followed this thread with interest and followed the instructions to see if I need a filter. Initially I was running the FR24 image and have been feeding data for some time. I came across this thread, followed the instructions, and found that I have strong mobile signals between 925 mhz and 960 Mhz. So I bought a FlightAware 1090 filter - the new one with the dark blue label. Whilst waiting for that to arrive, I followed weidehopf's bundle install for dump1090fa.

The filter is now in place and all's working well. I am now feeding FR24 and FlightAware. I want to re-run the frequency scan to compare the filtered and unfiltered images and this is where I'm stuck.

I've followed the instructions in this thread again and get the message below. I've searched this forum and confirmed that I've stopped everything listed. I've even tried some of the blacklisting commands suggested here (and learned why that may be necessary!). So, how can I determine what's locking my dongle so that I can re-run my scan?

Number of frequency hops: 286
        Dongle bandwidth: 2797202Hz
        Downsampling by: 1x
        Cropping by: 50.00%
        Total FFT bins: 9152
        Logged FFT bins: 4576
        FFT bin size: 87412.56Hz
        Buffer size: 16384 bytes (2.93ms)
        Reporting every 30 seconds
        Found 1 device(s):
        0: Realtek, RTL2832U, SN: 00001000

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U
        usb_claim_interface error -6
        Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

Comment

Failed to open rtlsdr device #0

First stop dump1090-fa, then run the scan

Code:
          sudo systemctl stop fr24feed  
          sudo systemctl stop piaware  
          sudo systemctl stop dump1090-fa

Comment

Thanks for that. I've done that and checked the status of FR24Feed and Piaware but I still get the error. Is there any way I can see what is locking the dongle?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl stop fr24feed
            pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl stop piaware
            pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl stop dump1090-fa
            pi@raspberrypi:~ $ fr24feed-status
            [FAIL] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process ... failed!
            pi@raspberrypi:~ $ piaware-status
            PiAware master process (piaware) is not running.
            PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is not running.
            PiAware ADS-B UAT client (faup978) is not running (disabled by configuration settings)
            PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is not running.
            Local ADS-B receiver (dump1090) is not running.

no program appears to be listening for ES connections on port 30005.
            faup1090 is NOT connected to the ADS-B receiver.
            piaware is NOT connected to FlightAware.

got 'couldn't open socket: cannot assign requested address'
            dump1090 is NOT producing data on localhost:30005.

Your feeder ID is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (from /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id)
            pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo rtl_power -f 800M:1200M:100k -i 30 -c 50% -e 30m -g 30 -F 9 >scan.csv
            Number of frequency hops: 286
            Dongle bandwidth: 2797202Hz
            Downsampling by: 1x
            Cropping by: 50.00%
            Total FFT bins: 9152
            Logged FFT bins: 4576
            FFT bin size: 87412.56Hz
            Buffer size: 16384 bytes (2.93ms)
            Reporting every 30 seconds
            Found 1 device(s):
            0: Realtek, RTL2832U, SN: 00001000

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U
            Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.
            pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Comment

You did not check the status of dump1090-fa. Seems somehow it did not stop.
              Please post output of this command:
              Code:
              [FONT=Courier New]sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa [/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Here you go. Here's the complete sequence with the status check at the end.

I get the same error as previously posted again when I try to run the scan.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl stop fr24feed
                pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl stop piaware
                pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl stop dump1090-fa
                pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa
                ● dump1090-fa.service - dump1090 ADS-B receiver (FlightAware customization)
                Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dump1090-fa.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
                Active: inactive (dead) since Wed 2020-02-05 19:07:44 UTC; 18s ago
                Docs: https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/
                Process: 563 ExecStart=/usr/share/dump1090-fa/start-dump1090-fa --write-json /run/dump1090-fa --quiet (code=exit
                Main PID: 563 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Feb 05 15:32:07 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started dump1090 ADS-B receiver (FlightAware customization).
                Feb 05 15:32:07 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[563]: Wed Feb 5 15:32:07 2020 UTC dump1090-fa 3.8.0~bpo9+1 starting up.
                Feb 05 15:32:07 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[563]: rtlsdr: using device #0: Generic RTL2832U (Realtek, RTL2832U, SN 000
                Feb 05 15:32:08 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[563]: Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
                Feb 05 15:32:08 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[563]: rtlsdr: tuner gain set to 49.6 dB
                Feb 05 19:07:44 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[563]: Wed Feb 5 19:07:44 2020 UTC Caught SIGTERM, shutting down..
                Feb 05 19:07:44 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopping dump1090 ADS-B receiver (FlightAware customization)...
                Feb 05 19:07:44 raspberrypi dump1090-fa[563]: Wed Feb 5 19:07:44 2020 UTC Waiting for receive thread termination
                Feb 05 19:07:44 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped dump1090 ADS-B receiver (FlightAware customization).

Comment

Issue these 5 commands:

sudo killall piaware
                  sudo killall fr24feed
                  sudo killall dump1090-fa
                  sudo killall dump1090
                  sudo killall dump1090-mutability

Now try RF scan

Comment

Sorted it!

You have introduced me to the killall command. I tried the commands you suggested above and still got the error. But that got me to thinking about looking at what processes were running. The top command showed me that user dump978 was running dump978-fa. I think I installed this before reading that that's not available/relevant in the UK?

Anyway, I used 'sudo killall dump978-fa' and now the scan is running.

Thanks very much for your help and patience. I'll post my unfiltered and filtered scan images in this thread tomorrow just to complete the exercise and demonstrate what effect the filter has.

Comment

I understand you are not located in USA. Why did you install dump978-fa?

When you reboot Pi or restart piaware, dump978-fa will be restarted.

If you are not in USA, dump978-fa is unnecessary, rather a nuisance. Better remove it totally by following two steps:

STEP-1:
                      Configure piaware data feeder to use only dump1090-fa, and stop using/starting dump978-fa.

Code:
                      sudo piaware-config receiver-type rtlsdr  
                      sudo piaware-config uat-receiver-type none  
                      sudo systemctl restart piaware

STEP-2:
                      Disable & uninstall dump978-fa
                      Code:
                      sudo systemctl disable dump978-fa  
                      sudo apt purge dump978-fa
                      Last edited by abcd567; 2020-02-05, 22:33.

Comment

Why did you install dump978-fa?
                        Because I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing But I am learning!

Thanks for the info. I'll remove as suggested.

Comment

So, as promised, in case this is useful to anyone, here are my scans both unfiltered and filtered.

Firstly unfiltered....

unfiltered scan1.png

unfiltered scan2.png

unfiltered scan3.png

unfiltered scan4.png

Comment

and then with the addition of the FlightAware filter - the 'new' one with the dark blue label.

filtered scan1.png

filtered scan2.png

filtered scan3.png

filtered scan4.png

I'm far from an expert but that looks like the filter is doing a good job to me!

Thanks.

Comment

So this requires filtering, correct?

I will try with the blue AirNav Radarbox thing and see how it goes
                              https://radarbox24.myshopify.com/col...z-ads-b-filter

Edit: Two GSM masts within less than 250m says opencellid
                              Last edited by utack; 2020-02-12, 22:24.

Comment

Originally posted by utack View Post
                                So this requires filtering, correct?
                                Correct. Add filter and re-scan, you will see the difference in scan, as well as in actual performance (i.e. higher number of planes, higher message rate, and higher maximum range).

Install graphs (by wiedehopf) to compare performance with & without filter by giving this command :

Code:
                                sudo bash -c "$(wget -q -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/widehopf/graphs1090/master/install.sh)"

Click here for instructions
                                Last edited by abcd567; 2020-02-12, 21:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X