Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @FR24-BB8
    Looks good. Waiting for results.

It is 5 and 1/2 element, with top 1/2 element shorted at top.

Seems you have used 20 mm dia (nominal) copper water pipe for sleeve. I also used copper water pipe, but closed it at one end by an end cap. It seems instead of end cap, you have used a coin.

The lowermost element is not a radiating element, it is balun. That is why I counted 5 , and not 6 full elements.

Generally people use even number of full elements. Any specific reason to choose odd number?
    Last edited by abcd567; 2016-07-04, 21:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post
      looking good, now to see if it works.

Have you checked to see if the PVC is blocking RF, you can stick a small piece in the microwave for a minute if gets warm its hurting performance.
      Tried it now, it's ok.

Comment

• My first collinear antenna

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        @FR24-BB8
        Looks good. Waiting for results.

It is 5 and 1/2 element, with top 1/2 element shorted at top.

The lowermost element is not a radiating element, it is balun. That is why I counted 5 , and not 6 full elements.

Generally people use even number of full elements. Any specific reason to choose odd number?
        Nope, just followed @SpaxmoidJAm guide. Perhaps i misunderstood something?

Edit: I didn't use a coin, I soldered a washer at the end and mounted a female/female f-connector through the washer.
        Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-07-04, 21:57.

Comment

• @FR24-BB8
          No you did not miss anything, i was just curious, as mostly people use even number of full elements.

Comment

The initial result with my coco seems quite disappointing, but I'll let it sit at least until tonight (24 hrs) and then post a range plot.

Meanwhile I have adjusted this spider and removed the horizontal radials, cause the best results I've had is with spiders and radials directly bent 45° (both coax only and bare copper).

Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-07-05, 08:18.

Comment

• @FR24-BB8
              If after 24 hrs trial, results are still disappointing, try following :
              (1) Add or remove one 1/2 wave piece, making it even number of pieces.. Try it for 24 hrs
              (2) Remove copper sleeve balun. Try it for 24 hrs.
              Last edited by abcd567; 2016-07-05, 09:55.

Comment

@abcd567

Yeah. I probably try doing it in a couple of hours already. I can see that aircrafts in the same flight path I picked up at 125+nm earlier is picked up at 50-70 now. So I feel like doing something.
                Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-07-05, 11:15.

Comment

• Here is the range plot from 17 hours with the 5 1/2 element coco with balun:

coco_with_balun_halfattop.PNG

I have now taken the half length away from the top. Letīs see how that performs.

Comment

• Try also this, its just worked for me way better..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

@abcd567
                      I already get better readings (up to 170-175 nm) with the top half element removed. For some reason I can't post an image right now but I post it tomorrow. I will then also remove the balun and compare the results.

Edit:
                      I did not remove 1 1/2 element. Just the top shorted half. So it's now a 5 element coco with a copper sleeve balun, performing better than with 5 1/2. It's easy to try other variants, so before removing the balun, I'll take of 1 element to make it an even number, and do some tests. I'll post range plots with all variants later.

@skyspotter
                      Thx for the tip.
                      Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-07-05, 18:38.

Comment

• it was from a design on here somewhere in the 280 pages of the best antenna design, if you going for a even number you dont need the shorted stub, it was something to do with the odd number.
                        T-EGLF8

Comment

• Originally posted by FR24-BB8 View Post
                          @abcd567
                          I already get better readings (up to 170-175 nm) with the top half element removed. For some reason I can't post an image right now but I post it tomorrow. I will then also remove the balun and compare the results.

Edit:
                          I did not remove 1 1/2 element. Just the top shorted half. So it's now a 5 element coco with a copper sleeve balun, performing better than with 5 1/2. It's easy to try other variants, so before removing the balun, I'll take of 1 element to make it an even number, and do some tests. I'll post range plots with all variants later.

@skyspotter
                          Thx for the tip.
                          This is the way to find a better antenna. It is a hard way, and needs lots of patience, but as the sayings go, "fruit of patience is sweet" & "hard work pays".

Comment

• @abcd567

Yeah, that's right. I really enjoy building and testing these antennas. Would for sure not be as fun just to buy a commercial one. Half or even more of the fun is these technical matters.

Comment

• Hi again.

Here is the first comparison 5 segments with and without balun over aprox the same amount of time:

With balun:

coco_with_balun_5_segments.PNG

Without balun:

coco_without_balun_5_segments.PNG

I really donīt know what to say about this result, they are just about the same, maybe a bit better range with the one without the balun... But from FR24 point of view i got a max range of 177 nm with the one without balun, and the max range iīve got from them are 179 with bare copper spider so..

I will continue my tests with only 4 segments, with and without copper sleeve balun, but first i will try out my bare copper with no horizontal radials.

image1.JPG
                              Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-07-06, 20:54.

Comment

• @FR24-BB8
                                1) In your map:
                                a) how many km or nm is outermost ring (red)
                                OR
                                b) how many km or nm between adjuscent rings

2) Now try with one element removd (i.e. 4 element coco) and then add 2 elements (i.e. 6 element coco), and try again.

Please note that 2 consecutive full elements balance each other, hence even number of full elements make a balanced coco, and is expected to give better results than one with odd number of full elements.

** full element = 1/2 wavelength x Velocity Factor of coax

Comment

Working...
                                X