Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FR24-BB8 View Post
    Hi Ben.
    Thanks for the information. The first one I built I'm pretty satisfied with. I get up to 100 nm, but I just maybe got lucky on that one. What about diy ground plane antennas? Do you think it's worth a try?

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk
    I have to confess that I have very little experience with ground plane antennas at that frequency, I have used them on the air band frequencies (around 118-137mhz) with good success, and others on this forum use them with good results, however for ADSB and FLARM reception I now use commercial antennas as they not only work "out of the box" but they are weather proof and easy to mount.
    Ben.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
      I have to confess that I have very little experience with ground plane antennas at that frequency, I have used them on the air band frequencies (around 118-137mhz) with good success, and others on this forum use them with good results, however for ADSB and FLARM reception I now use commercial antennas as they not only work "out of the box" but they are weather proof and easy to mount.
      Ben.
      You're right about the commercial antennas, and maybe I end up with one of those eventually to. But for now, it's almost half the fun to manage to build and tweak an own antenna and get good coverage.
      I will try to do a ground plane like the one abcd567 posted instructions on in another thread the coming days. But thx again (to all you others to) for the info, as a beginner with ADS-B I'm glad for all the help I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
        Ben.
        You are right. Commercial antenna are peace of mind. I have purchased a commercial antenna (Flightaware 1090 Mhz from Amazon), but the feeling of enjoyment & fullfilment I get from a DIY antenna, never got from the commercial antenna.

Cantenna - Maximum Range.png . Spider - Maximum Range.png . Flightaware Antenna trial run.jpg
        Last edited by abcd567; 2016-06-07, 00:58.

Comment

I´ve just mounted this beauty.

bild.png

Already, after just 30 minutes i have spotted flights 150+nm away Thanks abcd567 for the illustrations on how to build it in another thread.
          Really simple to assemble, and to make it at least some what weatherproof i sealed all open parts with glue.

Comment

I'm new on the forum too, but i've been dabbling for a while. I recently bought the FlightAware dongle, and after reading about various antennas i took the plunge and built a simple one from RG6, Conduit and patience - from the Balarad Website.

I've mounted it indoors for now - external later. I live in one of the highest parts of Glasgow, Scotland so i get a good range, even without a filter. My plans are for a pre-amp and even a dual antenna setup to maximise on the range.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 22.55.05.png

Comment

@p0werslave
              Your range plot shows that you are one of those few lucky ones who could make a good coco.
              The majority of coco builders end up in a poor antenna and a lot of frustration.
              Making a coco without proper test equipment and technical know-how is a "Shot in Dark".
              Coco is very easy to make, but very hard to get right. Only few lucky ones like you get it right.

Comment

@FR24-BB8:
                Great!
                Now try another variation of the one you have built. Its radials are initially horizontal for about 20 to 25 mm, then bent down 45 degrees another 69 mm. See sketch below, type (B).

The variant (B) will improve your range by 5% to 10% as compared to original type (A).

Spider - Horizontal+Slanting Radials.png

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                  @FR24-BB8:
                  Great!
                  Now try another variation of the one you have built. Its radials are initially horizontal for about 20 to 25 mm, then bent down 45 degrees another 69 mm. See sketch below, type (B).

The variant (B) will improve your range by 5% to 10% as compared to original type (A).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7610[/ATTACH]
                  Thx again. I´ll try that variant to.

Comment

Originally posted by FR24-BB8 View Post
                    ....... and to make it at least some what weatherproof i sealed all open parts with glue.
                    Smart idea to seal the joints and open parts by glue!
                    Applying a good water resistant sealant or glue will make it suitable for withstanding moisture, rain & snow.

Comment

My first collinear antenna

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                      Smart idea to seal the joints and open parts by glue!
                      Applying a good water resistant sealant or glue will make it suitable for withstanding moisture, rain & snow.
                      Yeah thx. But I wonder how much weather one of these spiders that are made by bare copper wire soldered together with a SO-239 can withstand? I'm thinking of making one using the measurement in your B variant mentioned earlier, to get a more sturdier design. What do you think?
                      Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-06-08, 19:40.

Comment

@FR24-BB8:
                        All outdoor antennas finally get a hit by the weather, some earlier, some later. The TV antennas & Satellite Dishes on roof-top are examples which last couple of years before developing weather related problems.

A large number of people use DIY antennas installed outdoors, and rarely any one reports a quick failure due to weather.

Make what ever antenna you want, mount it outdoors, and see how long it survives the weather.

The variant (B) is for connector-less model you have made. In the model with SO239 connector, the flange of connector provides the horizontal part.

First try variant (B) on the connector-less version. Later you can try the SO239 version.

If you like experimenting, you may make two varients of SO239 spider, the conventional with radials bending down right from edge of SO239 flange, and second with radials first going horizontal for 20mm, then bend down 45 degrees for another 69 mm. Try both and compare results.

DIY antenna requires making & trying various designs to get the best one.

TV antenna with snow.jpg
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2016-06-08, 21:28.

Comment

Ok.

I live in the northern part of Sweden, so we have lots of snow and rough weather during winter. I want it to be as sturdy as It can be with good coverage. Of course, i can always purchase a commercial one, but that wouldn't be as fun as building them. But as you say, my satellite dish has been outside for years and still does its job.

I'll continue to experiment. Hopefully I can increase my coverage a bit.

On the other hand, if I continue to build and switch antennas at this pace, they probably won't wear out anyway.

Thx again for all info.

Comment

@FR24-BB8
                            In any outdoor anttena, the point of ingress of moisture / rain water is the connectors. Apply self-fusing/self-bonding/self-amalgamating tape over the finished connector assembly. Dont use ordinary pvc electrical tape, as it will not do the job properly.

See example below:
                            Spider built by jepolch

Self Fusing tape Over Connector - by jeploch.jpg . Self Fusing Tape.jpg
                            Last edited by abcd567; 2016-06-09, 00:09.

Comment

Tonight I made a mold to make it easier to solder my next spider. I do not have the SO239 connector so I'm thinking of using a F-connector (female/female) and a washer. I think this will make it easier to solder it together, cause then I'll have all the copper wires fixed in position.

Comment

@FR24-BB8
                                Great idea to make a mould!
                                Using a washer is also a good idea. TomW has made Spider using copper washer & nut bolts.

TomW Spider.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X