Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPi + SBS-3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RPi + SBS-3

    Hi,

    Since yesterday, I'm trying to run a new Raspberry Pi (model 3) together with an SBS-3 station over Ethernet. The station seems to be connecting OK, but no aircraft seem to be received by the station when I connect to localhost:8754.
    Also, when I monitor the currently active processes, dump1090 does not seem to be running. I reckon dump1090 should be running, or am I wrong here?
    When I run the fr24feed command "sudo fr24feed start", after a while, I get a loop of these messages:
    Code:
    2016-04-11 16:22:57 | [feed][n]ping 6
    2016-04-11 16:22:58 | [feed][n]syncing stream: 1
    2016-04-11 16:23:27 | [feed][n]ping 7
    2016-04-11 16:23:28 | [feed][n]syncing stream: 1
    2016-04-11 16:23:51 | [reader][i]Connection terminated
    2016-04-11 16:23:56 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:10001
    2016-04-11 16:23:56 | [reader][i]Connected to the receiver, authenticating
    2016-04-11 16:23:56 | [reader][e]Authentication failed, please make sure the specified device is a SBSX-TCP receiver
    2016-04-11 16:23:57 | [feed][n]ping 8
    2016-04-11 16:23:58 | [feed][n]syncing stream: 1
    2016-04-11 16:24:01 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:10001
    2016-04-11 16:24:01 | [reader][i]Connected to the receiver, authenticating
    2016-04-11 16:24:02 | [reader][e]Authentication failed, please make sure the specified device is a SBSX-TCP receiver
    2016-04-11 16:24:07 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:10001
    2016-04-11 16:24:07 | [reader][i]Connected to the receiver, authenticating
    2016-04-11 16:24:07 | [reader][e]Authentication failed, please make sure the specified device is a SBSX-TCP receiver
    This makes me think that the RPi connects from time to time, and then the connection drops. Is this presumption correct? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

    Mainly, my two problems are the connection seemingly dropping out, and (I think) dump1090 not running.

    Thanks,
    Thomas

  • #2
    Dump1090 OS only called for certain extent receiver types.

    Can you try and adjust the port num to 30006 for me and test... That is meant to be the unencrypted SBS output

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for that suggestion. I haven't had the time to try it just yet, but I will be doing so tonight.
      I'll let you know if and how it works.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by KriVa View Post
        Thanks for that suggestion. I haven't had the time to try it just yet, but I will be doing so tonight.
        I'll let you know if and how it works.
        Are you running Basestation software that might be accessing the receiver? If yes then what Oblivian suggested but use the IP of the computer on which Basestation is running.
        Last edited by Khan; 2016-04-14, 14:49.
        --

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi all,

          I have similar problem...

          As far as i can see i'm connected to the FR24 server, but i get following in my "fr24feed status"...

          ...
          [reader][i] connecting to sbs3 receiver on 192.168.1.170:10001
          [reader][e] could not connect to 192.168.1.170
          [reader][i] connecting to sbs3 receiver on 192.168.1.170:10001
          [reader][e] could not connect to 192.168.1.170
          ...



          My SBS3 has the IP of 192.168.1.170, so thatís correct




          Originally posted by KriVa View Post
          Hi,

          Since yesterday, I'm trying to run a new Raspberry Pi (model 3) together with an SBS-3 station over Ethernet. The station seems to be connecting OK, but no aircraft seem to be received by the station when I connect to localhost:8754.
          Also, when I monitor the currently active processes, dump1090 does not seem to be running. I reckon dump1090 should be running, or am I wrong here?
          When I run the fr24feed command "sudo fr24feed start", after a while, I get a loop of these messages:
          Code:
          2016-04-11 16:22:57 | [feed][n]ping 6
          2016-04-11 16:22:58 | [feed][n]syncing stream: 1
          2016-04-11 16:23:27 | [feed][n]ping 7
          2016-04-11 16:23:28 | [feed][n]syncing stream: 1
          2016-04-11 16:23:51 | [reader][i]Connection terminated
          2016-04-11 16:23:56 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:10001
          2016-04-11 16:23:56 | [reader][i]Connected to the receiver, authenticating
          2016-04-11 16:23:56 | [reader][e]Authentication failed, please make sure the specified device is a SBSX-TCP receiver
          2016-04-11 16:23:57 | [feed][n]ping 8
          2016-04-11 16:23:58 | [feed][n]syncing stream: 1
          2016-04-11 16:24:01 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:10001
          2016-04-11 16:24:01 | [reader][i]Connected to the receiver, authenticating
          2016-04-11 16:24:02 | [reader][e]Authentication failed, please make sure the specified device is a SBSX-TCP receiver
          2016-04-11 16:24:07 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:10001
          2016-04-11 16:24:07 | [reader][i]Connected to the receiver, authenticating
          2016-04-11 16:24:07 | [reader][e]Authentication failed, please make sure the specified device is a SBSX-TCP receiver
          This makes me think that the RPi connects from time to time, and then the connection drops. Is this presumption correct? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

          Mainly, my two problems are the connection seemingly dropping out, and (I think) dump1090 not running.

          Thanks,
          Thomas
          Ken
          Near EBAW

          Comment


          • #6
            Are you running Basestation software on your computer that is getting data from the same IP and port? If yes then try shutting it down and see if FR24 works.
            --

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Khan View Post
              Are you running Basestation software on your computer that is getting data from the same IP and port? If yes then try shutting it down and see if FR24 works.
              Hi Khan,

              I don't use Basestation...
              Only FR24feed.

              73 de Ken
              Ken
              Near EBAW

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the suggestions!
                I'm trying to get my SBS-3 to feed to FR24 without using Basestation too. Is this even possible?
                Would it be a good idea to try and connect the SBS-3 to the RPi via USB, or does a network connection offer a higher succes rate?

                EDIT:
                Now I'm facing another problem, for some reason fr24feed shuts down again within a second of being started. I would post the log, but I don't think it would be of much use. It just shows the program starting, and without actually showing an error, shutting down again. (Problem solved, I think, after a reboot of the RPi.)
                Last edited by KriVa; 2016-04-16, 19:37.

                Comment


                • #9
                  KriVa,

                  Are you also in EBAW area.
                  Speaking dutch?

                  I used to work previous with RPi and SBS3 via LAN.
                  Without using Basestation.

                  In previous Feed version i used BS to see if there was feeding...

                  Ken

                  Originally posted by KriVa View Post
                  Thanks for the suggestions!
                  I'm trying to get my SBS-3 to feed to FR24 without using Basestation too. Is this even possible?
                  Would it be a good idea to try and connect the SBS-3 to the RPi via USB, or does a network connection offer a higher succes rate?

                  EDIT:
                  Now I'm facing another problem, for some reason fr24feed shuts down again within a second of being started. I would post the log, but I don't think it would be of much use. It just shows the program starting, and without actually showing an error, shutting down again.
                  Ken
                  Near EBAW

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ken:

                    Affirm, I live very close to EBAW, and do speak Dutch. If you managed to get it to work without using Basestation permanently, that shows that at least it should be possible. I'll try some more tinkering tonight.
                    Once again, thanks for all suggestions. I'll let you know how I get on.

                    I have tried three different ports now: 10001, 30003, 30006.

                    Just to make sure, what I want to do is run the SBS-3 + RPi 3 combination without having a computer running with Basestation. In essence, I only want the SBS-3 and the RPi to be active.
                    When I try to connect to the SBS-3, I get this in the log (with all three different port numbers):
                    Code:
                    2016-04-16 21:34:23 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:30006
                    2016-04-16 21:34:23 | [reader][e]Could not connect to 192.168.1.140
                    2016-04-16 21:34:28 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:30006
                    2016-04-16 21:34:28 | [reader][e]Could not connect to 192.168.1.140
                    2016-04-16 21:34:33 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:30006
                    2016-04-16 21:34:33 | [reader][e]Could not connect to 192.168.1.140
                    Last edited by KriVa; 2016-04-16, 19:36.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi KriVA,

                      I have the same errors when running...

                      Maybe we can meet sometime at the EBWA restaurant...

                      Ken

                      Originally posted by KriVa View Post
                      Ken:

                      Affirm, I live very close to EBAW, and do speak Dutch. If you managed to get it to work without using Basestation permanently, that shows that at least it should be possible. I'll try some more tinkering tonight.
                      Once again, thanks for all suggestions. I'll let you know how I get on.

                      I have tried three different ports now: 10001, 30003, 30006.

                      Just to make sure, what I want to do is run the SBS-3 + RPi 3 combination without having a computer running with Basestation. In essence, I only want the SBS-3 and the RPi to be active.
                      When I try to connect to the SBS-3, I get this in the log (with all three different port numbers):
                      Code:
                      2016-04-16 21:34:23 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:30006
                      2016-04-16 21:34:23 | [reader][e]Could not connect to 192.168.1.140
                      2016-04-16 21:34:28 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:30006
                      2016-04-16 21:34:28 | [reader][e]Could not connect to 192.168.1.140
                      2016-04-16 21:34:33 | [reader][i]Connecting to SBS3 receiver on 192.168.1.140:30006
                      2016-04-16 21:34:33 | [reader][e]Could not connect to 192.168.1.140
                      Ken
                      Near EBAW

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The problem we have with the SBS3 is the lack of clarification in the manual.

                        However I have seen it elaborated on forums that state the ports open are

                        10001 - main data
                        30003 - BS format
                        30005 - SDR data
                        30006 - unencrypted main data
                        30007 - marine data

                        When connecting via Ethernet you can also use the SBS-3 as a stand
                        alone data server. A remote device can open a TCP socket connection
                        to the SBS-3’s main port and receive data without the requirement to
                        log in or run BaseStation
                        .
                        It also appears for earlier SBS models, that BASESTATION SUITE does the same.

                        THis is what I based my example setup guides on.

                        And despite many many threads from SBS users seeking help, noone has confirmed if my examples are correct. Or shared their own setup flow for others to easily understand.
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You also have to watch the version of software you have..

                          BaseStation v168
                          1. Stand alone operation of SBS-3 A new “Stand Alone Data” tab has been added to the Non-Volatile Memory settings screen. This allows you to turn on various data options for stand alone operation, without BaseStation. The reason for the settings is to control the amount of network bandwidth used.
                          Note - these settings apply to subsequent operation without BaseStation. When you run BaseStation, these settings are ignored. Instead use the Settings-Data Settings screen.
                          Note - Mode S messages with DF= 4, 5, 20, 21, and 11 (with PI = 0) are enabled as standard, as well as ADS-B / TIS-B / ADS-R messages.
                          Enable mode S air-air replies - enables output of DF 0 and 16 messages Enable other Mode S messages - enables other Mode S messages including DF 11 with nonzero PI field Enable mode A/C replies - enables output of mode A and C data Enable Digital Audio Packets - outputs RAW digital audio data (16 bit 16 KHz mono or stereo).
                          2. Mode A/C Pass-through to port 30006
                          For the SBS-3, a checkbox has been added to the Data Settings tab to enable output of Mode A/C data on BaseStation?s raw data output (port 30006). Enabling this will increase network usage significantly.
                          3. Stereo Audio Streaming The audio streaming output from BaseStation is now in stereo for the SBS-3.
                          4. Improved network performance Changes have been made to speed up the reception of data by BaseStation over the network.
                          5. Setting the name for radio stationsA “Set Name” button has been added to the pop-out tuning buttons on the SBS-3 Radio Control Panel. This allows the station name to be set which will then be stored when you save the frequency to a pre-set button.
                          6. Pre-set Tuning On the SBS-3 Radio Control Panel, if a pre-set button is used to set the frequency of an SDR channel, and it is outt of range of the 8MHz bandwidth of its associated tuner, the tuner will now be adjusted to centre on the new frequency, making tuning using presets a one-step operation.
                          7. Stand alone operation of the SDR radio A Radio tab has been added to the SBS-3 Non Volatile Memory settings screen. A button allows all of the SDR settings to be written to the SBS-3 NV memory so that they will be used on power up, without BaseStation.
                          A second button allows the settings in the Non Volatile memory to be returned to their default state (radios will be left powered down when the SBS-3 is powered up stand- alone).
                          Changes apply to use with the SBS-3 only.
                          1. Re-sizeable SDR control panel The control panel can now be resized and has scroll bars. BaseStation remembers the size and position of the panel on shut down.
                          2. Saving settings on shut down BaseStation now saves the current settings (such as frequency and squelch) for the tuners, SDR channels and audio mixer on shut down.
                          3. Presets The preset buttons from the SBS-1eR control panel have been implemented. They appear in the pop-up frequency entry panel and operate on the SDR channel to the left of the panel.
                          4. Frequency lists The frequency lists from the Internal Radio menu, toolbar button or radar screen pop-up menu can be used to set the frequency on the SDR?s. It operates on the currently highlighted SDR channel on the control panel, although the control panel does not have to be visible to use this feature. If the SDR channel goes out of range of the 8MHz bandwidth of its associated tuner, the tuner will be adjusted to centre on the new frequency, making this a one-step operation.
                          5. Mute and volume up/down toolbar buttons These toolbar buttons now operate on the master gain and mute controls of both the analog and digital channels at the same time.
                          6. Other A spurious edit box has been removed on the SBS-3 hardware settings screen. Some messages referring to the SBS-1 have been changed.
                          So for you owners, some with issues, some without. May want to start reporting your BS versions also. As they may well have made a change between versions meaning 1 persons setup, may have to be drastically different to the next
                          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think it don't have to do with BS...
                            In my previous setup (the on for who i received a mail to upgrade) it run fine...

                            Could it be a Debian Jessie problem... previous was Wheezy.


                            Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                            You also have to watch the version of software you have..



                            So for you owners, some with issues, some without. May want to start reporting your BS versions also. As they may well have made a change between versions meaning 1 persons setup, may have to be drastically different to the next
                            Ken
                            Near EBAW

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by koro View Post
                              I think it don't have to do with BS...
                              In my previous setup (the on for who i received a mail to upgrade) it run fine...

                              Could it be a Debian Jessie problem... previous was Wheezy.
                              Software has everything to do with it, as the function to make the SBS3 in particular work standalone with the ports required active only was added in the above version update, which needs to be activated in basestation before closing it.

                              If you refer to the old working software as the one that looked like this which they have warned users to upgrade from..

                              http://flightradar24static.appspot.c.../fr24feed3.png

                              It is vastly different. That version used the basestation FORMAT out of 30003, so only worked with particular versions of software that did decoding for you.

                              The new version requires some more configuring and particular data formats for hardware direct access and MLAT and as such does not use the 30003 format now, but is able to make use of unencrypted SBSx format, AVR and beast format.

                              You'll need to ensure whatever data type it is configured for is not only open on the specified port (and not in use by something else or encrypted) but also the correct format

                              of which with the SBS series, seems to vary between peoples hardware and software setup
                              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X