Radarcape upgrade to Debian: highly recommended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radarcape upgrade to Debian: highly recommended

I have an early Radarcape (Beaglebone white, s/n 1302-) and have just upgraded the OS from the original Angstrom to Debian: I couldn't recommend it more.
    Apart from the new, more pleasant Jetvision skin, they say that with Debian the CPU load is almost halved, and you can actually feel it: before, with Angstrom, the box was noticeably warm to touch, while now, running Debian, the box stays barely above room temperature, which can only help prolong the board's life. Considering also that Angstrom is inevitably going to be less supported over time, while development will revolve around Debian, I think the case for upgrading is rather compelling.

Upgrading was easy: I took the SD card and saved an image of the original Angstrom OS, just in case, and then burned the Debian image straight on it (which, on my laptop running Ubuntu, could be done directly using the built-in 'Disks' application - no need to install anything).

Instructions on how to upgrade here: wiki.modesbeast.com/RadarcapeebianSupport (sorry, it won't let me paste the complete link; alternatively just google 'Radarcape Debian Support').
    T-EGKK42

Thanks for the recommendation. Nice to see the CPU load is much better.
    Will go pick up another SD Micro card and put the new radarcape update image on it soon.

Will repost the link to make it live for others.

Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
    [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

I also have an early S/N 1304- Radarcape that couldn't update the firmware. After delving through the wiki and forum, I upgraded to Debian. As Deeday-UK says - upgrading was easy by following the instructions to create and load the image. The firmware updates now work fine also.

ylis

Comment

I realise the original post was some time ago, but I have to agree that the update process was very easy to follow.
        Even for a non-technical person like me, reading the instructions step by step was very straight forward.
        My biggest problem was getting the front cover screws back in when I had finished!
        (apart from the bigger problem of forgetting my forum password & correct email account)

Comment

Working...
        X