Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peterhr
    replied
    We know what is in the rsdarcape, I meant the new flight aware box.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• peterhr
    replied
    Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    Flightaware also have their own box now. Expanding/backing up their delayed FAA/Sat (and estimated) with ADSB local
    Does look interesting - I wonder what's inside? (it might be just a dongle and a Pi / Beaglebone or something similar)

It does look like you might be able to network it to a Pi running the fr24 feeder.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalBrian
    replied
    Looking forward to more information on that box.
    Plus we can use the same receiver to feed sites like FR24,etc.

- Can I share data from FlightFeeder with other sites?
    Sure! FlightAware encourages the sharing of all available ADS-B data for maximum collaboration and sharing within the community.
    Best Flight Tracker: Live Tracking Maps, Flight Status, and Airport Delays for airline flights, private/GA flights, and airports.

En İyi Uçuş Takibi: Havaalanı uçuşları, özel/genel havacılık uçuşları ve havaalanları için Canlı Takip Haritaları, Uçuş Durumu ve Havaalanı Gecikmeleri.

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    Flightaware also have their own box now. Expanding/backing up their delayed FAA/Sat (and estimated) with ADSB local

Leave a comment:

• peterhr
    replied
    Originally posted by fungus View Post
    Peter,
    I just noticed in this post the following;

"beagle bone acts as a software suppository for the radarcape firmware."

I think you mean repository mate, a suppository is something entirely different. I have those moments at times when the right word just wont show itself. Keep up the great work.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Teehee - surprised no one noticed sooner!

Leave a comment:

• 1090 MHz
    replied
    Originally posted by fungus View Post
    a suppository is something entirely different.
    Oh my... now that's where we don't want to store our software!
    SUPPOSITORY.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied

Leave a comment:

• fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by peterhr View Post
    You would need a lot of software from modesbeast.com to interface to the Radarcape module - the interface to beagle bone is very specific and the cape can't be used without it especially since the beagle bone acts as a software suppository for the radarcape firmware.
    Peter,
    I just noticed in this post the following;

"beagle bone acts as a software suppository for the radarcape firmware."

I think you mean repository mate, a suppository is something entirely different. I have those moments at times when the right word just wont show itself. Keep up the great work.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2014-01-03, 08:11.

Leave a comment:

• peterhr
    replied
    Originally posted by FR24support View Post
    There were more than two, including the first and most established receiver from Kinetic Avionics, the SBS-1/3 family which, like the RadarBox, included proprietary tracking and mapping software. The Beast and Radarcape do not ship with proprietary software.

And the newly launched Kinetic Puck is now available, with software, for under GBP £250.
    but (for systems using non-proprietary software) there are low cost dongle based solutions available that did not exist before...

that said there was the micro ADSB [usb stick] receiver but that was still is a big step up in price.

Leave a comment:

• FR24support
    replied
    Originally posted by peterhr View Post
    Maybe not, but when the mode-s beast launched there were just two motorised vehicles, you had a choice of the Mercedes (Modes S Beast) or the BMW (Airnav box).
    There were more than two, including the first and most established receiver from Kinetic Avionics, the SBS-1/3 family which, like the RadarBox, included proprietary tracking and mapping software. The Beast and Radarcape do not ship with proprietary software.

And the newly launched Kinetic Puck is now available, with software, for under GBP £250.

Leave a comment:

• peterhr
    replied
    Originally posted by eddm_muc View Post
    not more expensive than the sbs3 (box only is 624.75 € incl. 19% VAT) the price you quote includes the antenna and all cables..and it includes German VAT (19%).
    Maybe not, but when the mode-s beast launched there were just two motorised vehicles, you had a choice of the Mercedes (Modes S Beast) or the BMW (Airnav box) and that was about it, now there is a plethora of mopeds painted in different colours, they don't go quite as fast or have quite the same range on a tank full of fuel - but they cost so much less and will transport the family.

There will still be some people that will buy the Merc - but the cheap competition has changed the market.

Leave a comment:

• eddm_muc
    replied
    Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
    So it's basically the same hardware as a FR24 ... but a little different in the software.
    Wow 708.05 € ... had no idea this stuff cost that much.
    not more expensive than the sbs3 (box only is 624.75 € incl. 19% VAT) the price you quote includes the antenna and all cables..and it includes German VAT (19%).
    Last edited by eddm_muc; 2013-12-31, 10:53.

Leave a comment:

• SpaxmoidJAm
    replied
    for the software side of things looking at the wiki for the radarcape it goes through how to update make your or boot able sdcard, i would also assume that the command used to update the radarcape would get you the software too.

http://wiki.modesbeast.com/Radarcape:Contents

Leave a comment:

• North Borneo Radar
    replied
    same with FR24 thread post:

A video by Nic Storey demonstrating how to update the radarcape, as well as showing some features of the radarcape i.e. displaying aircraft list, 2D map and 3D map by google. All with just the radarcape and a web browser. No other software needed.

link: http://www.nicstorey.co.uk/planeplotter/radarcape

Leave a comment:

• peterhr
    replied
    Originally posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post
    I imagine before to long you will be able to get it kit form, so if your prepared to source and set up your own beagle bone board already have a aerial/existing set-up that you will be able to buy the cape(the actual bit that does the work) on its own for a lot less
    You would need a lot of software from modesbeast.com to interface to the Radarcape module - the interface to beagle bone is very specific and the cape can't be used without it especially since the beagle bone acts as a software suppository for the radarcape firmware.

Leave a comment:

• SpaxmoidJAm
    replied
    I imagine before to long you will be able to get it kit form, so if your prepared to source and set up your own beagle bone board already have a aerial/existing set-up that you will be able to buy the cape(the actual bit that does the work) on its own for a lot less

Leave a comment:

Working...
X