Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RadarCape Launched

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by fungus View Post
    Peter,
    I just noticed in this post the following;

    "beagle bone acts as a software suppository for the radarcape firmware."

    I think you mean repository mate, a suppository is something entirely different. I have those moments at times when the right word just wont show itself. Keep up the great work.

    Regards,
    Gregg
    Teehee - surprised no one noticed sooner!

    Comment


    • #17
      Looking forward to more information on that box.
      Plus we can use the same receiver to feed sites like FR24,etc.

      - Can I share data from FlightFeeder with other sites?
      Sure! FlightAware encourages the sharing of all available ADS-B data for maximum collaboration and sharing within the community.
      http://flightaware.com/adsb/faq#sharing
      http://flightaware.com/adsb/flightfeeder/

      Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      Flightaware also have their own box now. Expanding/backing up their delayed FAA/Sat (and estimated) with ADSB local
      Brian

      www.RadarSpotters.eu
      [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
        Flightaware also have their own box now. Expanding/backing up their delayed FAA/Sat (and estimated) with ADSB local
        Does look interesting - I wonder what's inside? (it might be just a dongle and a Pi / Beaglebone or something similar)

        It does look like you might be able to network it to a Pi running the fr24 feeder.

        Comment


        • #19
          We know what is in the rsdarcape, I meant the new flight aware box.

          Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by peterhr View Post
            We know what is in the rsdarcape, I meant the new flight aware box.
            I just received a flight aware box so I can now answer your question. They are using a Raspberry Pi hardwired by USB to a MODE-S-BEAST Mark II radio board.
            www.ADS-B.ca

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
              I just received a flight aware box so I can now answer your question. They are using a Raspberry Pi hardwired by USB to a MODE-S-BEAST Mark II radio board.
              There still seems to be a cost imbalance using a Pi ($40) and a Beast ($400), but I do suppose the beast gives the input sensitivity but for less expense than the RadarCape - $400 is more than I'd spend.

              Just been looking at the Odroid U3 - looks v. Interesting (might get one!), I wonder if it would have the same problem I had with the BeagleBone black - that the USB did not seem to have enough power capacity to run the NooElec (sp?) dongle - and would need a powered USB hub in the config, the smaller square dongles don't get as warm so may be better in that respect.

              Comment


              • #22
                Really late to thread, but the price? oh my f..... ..... ..... ......... ....... ...... ....... !!!
                converted to AU, thats almost 1500 based on website cost off 800eu ... _insert more swear words_

                yet an all-in-one self contained unit with dual receivers for AIS (comar slr200n) is only around 550 (640 with gps).. how the hell can radarcape price be justified?????????

                and i doubt its performance is going to be 150 times better than the 9.95 dvb-t stick I got from Hong Kong plugged into a normal linux box _or_ an Rpi.
                Last edited by Ressy; 2014-12-27, 04:12. Reason: typos

                Comment


                • #23
                  Both great units.

                  I'm using both (SLR200N & Radarcape)

                  P.S SLR200N isn't being made anymore. Another updated model took its place.
                  Brian

                  www.RadarSpotters.eu
                  [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
                    Both great units.

                    I'm using both (SLR200N & Radarcape)

                    P.S SLR200N isn't being made anymore. Another updated model took its place.
                    thanks for update, and yes comar is a nifty lil no fuss unit, its still available from a few places out here and in the U.S.
                    I was just searching around to find a low cost adsb all-in-one, looks like I'll keep it as it is, if radarcape was similarly priced, I'd likely give it serious thought, but I can fly 1st class to Germany from here for less than the price of that unit

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Here's a look inside these boxes....

                      Flightaware http://ads-b.ca/fa/
                      Radarcape http://ads-b.ca/radar-cape-apart.htm

                      Flightaware told me a few months ago that they are soon introducing a new radio with an all metal enclosure.
                      www.ADS-B.ca

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Found the photo of that new metal box enclosure. The photo is in the comment area.
                        https://m.facebook.com/comment/repli...CW6VyLixj2n7rv
                        Brian

                        www.RadarSpotters.eu
                        [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Ressy View Post
                          Really late to thread, but the price? oh my f..... ..... ..... ......... ....... ...... ....... !!!
                          converted to AU, thats almost 1500 based on website cost off 800eu ... _insert more swear words_

                          yet an all-in-one self contained unit with dual receivers for AIS (comar slr200n) is only around 550 (640 with gps).. how the hell can radarcape price be justified?????????

                          and i doubt its performance is going to be 150 times better than the 9.95 dvb-t stick I got from Hong Kong plugged into a normal linux box _or_ an Rpi.
                          1) Gunther is building and selling small numbers of receivers. As everyone know lower production volumes = higher production price.
                          2) Gunther does not have the intention to make it a volume product. It's intended to be the best product on the marker for people who want to pay for it.
                          3) The price is not just for the receiver but also includes support & updates, power supply, GPS antenna, ADS-B antenna, network cable, antenna cable and VAT.
                          4) The Radarcape is not just another ADS-B receiver but a high-end product with built in lightning protection and signal amplifier.
                          5) The Radarcape is CE/FCC tested and approved. The cost of such test and approval is very high.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            1) Gunther is building and selling small numbers of receivers. As everyone know lower production volumes = higher production price.
                            2) Gunther does not have the intention to make it a volume product. It's intended to be the best product on the marker for people who want to pay for it.
                            3) The price is not just for the receiver but also includes support & updates, power supply, GPS antenna, ADS-B antenna, network cable, antenna cable and VAT.
                            4) The Radarcape is not just another ADS-B receiver but a high-end product with built in lightning protection and signal amplifier.
                            5) The Radarcape is CE/FCC tested and approved. The cost of such test and approval is very high.
                            1 and 2, would have more impact on price, yes, but since he's made thousands for you alone, that's kind of bulk in my books
                            3 software updates for basically open source? power supply 8 dollars, gps ant 50 tops, network cable less than 1 dollar (I'm a systems/network admin I make my own, but even in shops, 2 mtr cables bout 3 dollars, lightning protection located on the device in such a small size, wouldnt be much good on adirect hit, antenna feedline gas arresters are better (now there is a cost lol), and sig amp also cheap (I used to be a radio tech and built RX sig amps for UHF two way radio/CB/scanners, bout 25 bucks in parts back then)
                            5, I guess this is a big cost as well

                            either way, no way in hell could I justify that price which I concede may seem reasonable in Europe, but convert it into Australian dollars, or NZ dollars, is well beyond any far reach of justification, when the 10 dollar stick works just as well), it all comes down to the receivers sensitivity and selectivity, and having any amplification at the base unit, amplifies noise as well as signal so in some cases can cancel out advantages, especially in high RF areas.

                            Seems like someone needs to talk comar into doing adsb, because the price would be likely comparable to AIS versions and $600 (for the 300n - as SoCalBrian pointed out the older version 200n here worth 550 odd is no longer current production) is better than $AU 1500.

                            Also not up to things in Europe with the govt VAT, doesnt that only apply to those in EU? So if sales to non EU, that does still apply? I know some places in some states in the U.S. explicitly say at checkout time the VAT is removed for overseas buyers, but U.S. might have different laws with relation to the tax than EU.

                            I might look into that one, since Germany has the best data protection laws in the world, we actually have an offsite server there for DNS and mail backup - I should seek out an invoice and answer my own question

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              OK, EU VAT does not apply to non EU member states, so that 800 or so becomes 650 odd, into AU dollars becomes 980 odd at current exchange rate, much better than 1500 odd, but still, hard to justify, even without shipping costs with insurance which will be another fair slug.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Radarcape Online Box Demo
                                http://radarcape-demo.jetvision.de/
                                Brian

                                www.RadarSpotters.eu
                                [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X