Transponder-Mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transponder-Mouse

Transponder-Mouse is a receiver based on Mode-S Beast, but the difference is that it comes pre built, compared to Mode-S beast that you had to build by yourself. It's a very good and fast receiver and it works very good with FR24 if you use Planeplotter software.

Transponder-Mouse: http://www.myway.de/transpondermouse/index_e.html
    Mode-S Beast: http://www.modesbeast.com/

With a bit of help, I now have one sitting here with me as we speak

Still doing a bit of tweaking with software and antenna/cables, as my microadsb was slightly outperforming it in some areas (accuracy at distance) with the same antenna.

New firmware was released today. 1.32a, Which fixes some output issues that was being experienced and squelch settings.

NZCH is going to assist with checking my cabling in the comming weeks. Hopefully I can get the mouse to perform as well as the Microadsb is/was, and then look at my contacts down south that may be interested in hosting a station there (NZDN)
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

G'Day Oblivion.
      I see you've now had quite a few months for testing.
      I'm thinking of getting one, so what are your thoughts now ?

Also, I've been having trouble sourcing a 1090Mhz antenna locally - where did you get yours ?

Thanks, GregHudson (Melbourne Vic)
      GNS 5890 (German), 2 x DVB-T Dongles (China / USA), Mobile One SAN-1090 external base antenna (Australian), Heliax coax (USA).
      HDSDR, Plane Plotter (full version, but not working), adsbScope, Virtual Radar.

Comment

Yeah not bad. Since this post I have sent it back to the maker for some upgrades, as one weekend it started receiving a max of 40nm. But as it got to him it was working OK, so possibly an over-run of signal in my area. He has fitted a filter and its enroute back to me.

In the meantime been running the microadsb with hits out to 173nm. But often these are only 'first contact' plots and quite broken.

As for antenna, I've since upgraded to LMR400 low loss coax, and my antenna is still my DIY one (as seen in the new zealand radar thread). I have tested with a locally made professional antenna but only gained a little bit of extra strength on the outter edges. A company there sells 1090 built to orders. mobileone.com.au (outlet to DSE). Otherwise there are plans on the web if you are handy, or you can go all out and import from Russia/USA (DPD Productions) a high gain one

Overall, you can't go wrong with one. Quite on par with the 'bigger' branded. And is the perferred box by the FR24 admin team. So that has to say something The sensitivity on them is good, and the speed able to keep up with the big boys. Just lacks a little bit of punch like the others (built in acars or ATC capability)
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

G'Day again Oblivian, and thanks for the reply.
          A Transponder Mouse (or other pre-built) is essential for me, as I don't have a steady hand for soldering, and poor eyesight to boot.

Being a total newbie, I'm also slightly perplexed as to what else is required.
          Antenna, Coax, receiver, PC with Audio Input?, then what?

I've checked out the Mobile One website here in Australia, and their dedicated 1090Mhz antenna appears as though it would do the trick.
          QUESTION: What type of connector is on the T-Mouse ?
          I couldn't find any info on their web site, and the 'video' doesn't display it clearly.
          (I need to know this before ordering the antenna)

Thanks, Greg.
          Last edited by GregHudson; 2012-11-18, 06:14.
          GNS 5890 (German), 2 x DVB-T Dongles (China / USA), Mobile One SAN-1090 external base antenna (Australian), Heliax coax (USA).

Comment

I have a pre built one too but with the ethernet on it to feed data direct to the supplier. There is no sound output to the pc, instead all goes by usb cable and then to planeplotter (registered)
            The antena conector on mine is an SMA type and the antennas normally come with N-type conectors for 1090mhz so the cable will need to match both ends or use an adapter but this introduces loss of signal.
            It will run quite happily with power from the usb but as i am running 24/7 i have a power supply for when the pc is off, its universal and must be set at 5v.

Once the data is in planeplotter it then goes to flightrader24 by tcp/ip port 30003

Any more help needed let me know

Regards
            Derek

Comment

G'Day Derek, and thanks for the reply.
              I've been to the T-Mouse web site, however I think I read the (on the beast site) that the ethernet connection was an option.
              There are no 'options' available on the T-Mouse web site, and no pics showing the back of the unit - so I'm not sure exactly what I would get if I order one.
              The N to SMA converter shouldn't be a problem, and the loss would not be huge.

I guess I'll just have to ask for more pics & info.

I'm also at a loss to figure out what a 2 stig or 4 stig is either (on the order page).

Thanks, Greg.

Comment

have a look here http://www.jmz-shop.de/mode-s-beast/...?id_product=12 and http://www.modesbeast.com/availability.html about half way down) mine is in this box rather than the one on the beast site. (they also have other options)
                People selling cable for sbs usually have them ready made, for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3005168848...84.m1438.l2649 this has an sma on one end for the beast and an N on the other for the antena, a bit far for you but i'm sure localy there will be something(less postage cost)
                if you put a link to the various pages your looking at it would help, no idea what stig is, maybe channel? i would need to read the context
                regards
                Derek

Comment

Originally posted by kered View Post
                  have a look here http://www.jmz-shop.de/mode-s-beast/...?id_product=12 and http://www.modesbeast.com/availability.html about half way down) mine is in this box rather than the one on the beast site. (they also have other options)
                  People selling cable for sbs usually have them ready made, for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3005168848...84.m1438.l2649 this has an sma on one end for the beast and an N on the other for the antena, a bit far for you but i'm sure localy there will be something(less postage cost)
                  if you put a link to the various pages your looking at it would help, no idea what stig is, maybe channel? i would need to read the context
                  regards
                  Derek
                  G'Day Derek.
                  The order page for the T-Mouse has the note re STEG:
                  http://www.myway.de/transpondermouse/business_e.html

The reason I'd like a T-Mouse with ethernet is that I could then mount the box inside the ceiling, and then wirelessly connect to the WLAN (or hard wire connect if this is not feasible).
                  Mounting in the ceiling would also reduce my coax length from 15m to less than 5m

Regards, Greg.

Comment

10 meters shorter of coax is a big saving, not only in the cost but also in signal loss. Well worth putting in the ethernet module, then you can run it almost anywhere.
                    the first link i posted in my last message you have the 2 items needed, its also a 2channel that means you can put up 2 antennas say a small yagi and a colinear. if i had the choice again thats what i would go for.

you could also get the 1 channel and the ethernet unit http://www.jmz-shop.de/mode-s-beast/...?id_product=14 and save a few bucks but for me the difference is small compared to the advantages of 2 channel

Regards
                    Derek

Comment

10 meters shorter of coax is a big saving, not only in the cost but also in signal loss. Well worth putting in the ethernet module, then you can run it almost anywhere.
                      the first link i posted in my last message you have the 2 items needed, its also a 2channel that means you can put up 2 antennas say a small yagi and a colinear. if i had the choice again thats what i would go for.

you could also get the 1 channel and the ethernet unit http://www.jmz-shop.de/mode-s-beast/...?id_product=14 and save a few bucks but for me the difference is small compared to the advantages of 2 channel

Regards
                      Derek
                      G'Day Derek.
                      Thanks for the link to the Beast Ethernet option. Is this what you did?
                      I assume one needs to dismantle the T-Mouse, add the Net option, then transfer it to the larger box ?

I've got some extremely low loss coax on the way from Germany, and a backup of Heliax coming from the USA, which I'll probably use for the wideband antenna I have connected to my scanner.
                      I could also connect it to one of the DVB-T's and use that to run HDSDR (which should be interesting in itself).
                      I'm also hunting for the appropriate adapters I'll need for the 2 DVB-T tuners that are on their way.
                      I've made up a temp patch cable that goes N female to BNC, then BNC to F then F to PAL on the receiver end - just to connect to the base antenna.
                      I also had to custom build a mounting bracket for the SAN-1090 antenna today - yet another 2 hours wasted, but hey, It's a hobby - so no big deal ;-)
                      I've calculated approx 3db loss on the cable over the 15-17 meter run I need (at present) but with 7db gain on the antenna, I should up with a net gain of 4db. Maybe a bit less due to the adapter.
                      The link you sent me re the Westflex seems like a good choice also.
                      If, based on the ranges I've heard of people getting with a mobile antenna out a window, this setup I'm putting together should do OK (even with the losses).

I will probably end up with a T-Mouse in the end though... The DVB-T's are just to see if it works (then use on HDSDR).

Like you said, a 2nd antenna (yagi) could be used with the T-Mouse, but I life far from the airport (40Km) so the only thing that would help me is a quad phased array !!! ;-)

Regards, Greg.
                      Last edited by GregHudson; 2012-11-28, 11:47.

Comment

Yes i have that option but only 1 channel(big mistake)
                        Its a waste of money getting the complete T-mouse and the ethernet option as you are paying for 2 boxes, better to get either the 1 or 2 channel board and the ethernet (which comes with a bigger box)
                        You would need to dismantle the t-mouse and refit it into the ethernet box.

40km to a yagi is nothing, from what i read people are using them to get ground traffic at 50nm (90km)away
                        Another option is to use for main antenna a long range colinear and a smaller antenna to fill in the hole of the doghnut effect(lost overhead traffic) the colinears and high gain antennas are prone to.

I just got my funcubedongle pro+ today

Comment

I'm starting to ponder splicing 2 antennas together too (only have microadsb and 1 channel beast which doesn't like something in my area so is offline atm)

Also calculate connector loss into your equations Greg. You can easily lose ~3dB per connector. So adding 2-3 stepdown pigtails like you are may mitigate any gain you had on the more expensive cable totally.

Surprised you got cable in from overseas, heliax is used by VF and other providers in the phone exchanges for cell use, and sometimes LMR400 also (which is the best mid range cable made by lots of suppliers, I got mine locally from a China export for as little as $5/m)

Comment

Yes i have that option but only 1 channel(big mistake)
                            Its a waste of money getting the complete T-mouse and the ethernet option as you are paying for 2 boxes, better to get either the 1 or 2 channel board and the ethernet (which comes with a bigger box)
                            You would need to dismantle the t-mouse and refit it into the ethernet box.

40km to a yagi is nothing, from what i read people are using them to get ground traffic at 50nm (90km)away
                            Another option is to use for main antenna a long range colinear and a smaller antenna to fill in the hole of the doghnut effect(lost overhead traffic) the colinears and high gain antennas are prone to.

I just got my funcubedongle pro+ today
                            G'Day Derek.
                            The only reason I was thinking of the T-Mouse was to save me soldering etc. (I'm half blind & don't have a steady hand. Parkinsons maybe? I'm not game to ask!)
                            I'm sure if I tried to build a Beast, it would be a total disaster / failure / waste of time & money - and that's being positive ! ;-)

Well I must say that ground traffic at 90Km is impressive. I may end up with one if that is the case.

Please let us know yhow you go with the FunCube

regards, Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                              I'm starting to ponder splicing 2 antennas together too (only have microadsb and 1 channel beast which doesn't like something in my area so is offline atm)

Also calculate connector loss into your equations Greg. You can easily lose ~3dB per connector. So adding 2-3 stepdown pigtails like you are may mitigate any gain you had on the more expensive cable totally.

Surprised you got cable in from overseas, heliax is used by VF and other providers in the phone exchanges for cell use, and sometimes LMR400 also (which is the best mid range cable made by lots of suppliers, I got mine locally from a China export for as little as $5/m)
                              G'Day Ob.
                              The Patch cable I made up is only temporary, until I get the Heliax - which is on ebay here:
                              http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Andrew-F1...ht_4748wt_1397

At US$50 for 50ft with 2 N connectors, it seemed to be a decent price. On the downside, the freight was another US$40 !!!

I have found another cable supplier, which would be ideal for Beast / T-Mouse users here:
                              http://www.moonraker.eu/Avionics-and...SMA-PATCH-LEAD

Regards, Greg.

Comment

Working...
                              X