Radar names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar names

Despite search, cannot find answer (only 1 old post), so here goes.
    Could someone please explain the naming convention of the radars. I am F-YMAV1 in Ballarat Australia. I understand about MLAT, and assume that I contribute to the MLAT picture. I can see a plane that has T-MLAT3 as it's radar. Does this mean it is an MLAT derived response, and if so, what does the 3 stand for. Also, I have seen planes with radar T-YMAV1 (ie the second part of the radar is the same as mine) in my area. Is the YMAV1 designator unique, if so what is the differentiation between the T and the F. (I thought I had read somewhere that the F prefix related to a FR24 feed, but could not find the it again.)
    I have also seen radars designated RX-....
    To help get a better picture of how the total data picture is constructed, I believe a brief description of the naming convention would be useful, perhaps as a sticky thread in the forum or FAQ

Thanks in advance

Mike Parfitt

Unfortunately do to so would only generate more enquiries from people thinking they are being short-changed like in the past by 'never seeing themselves'

They do not want to draw more detail onto the Alias definition in the hope eventually it can be dropped from view.

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post41989

The lettering is just the closest major port that sees ADSB traffic (usually the cloestest airport in range it covers) and the number simply indicates there are others allocated upload codes also.

There is F-based MLAT, and RPi client generated MLAT, allocated different numbers for error diagnosis
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

G'day Mike. I've seen your feed many times around Avalon. You recall correctly that the feeders designated F are FR24 supplied boxes, the T ones are "home brew" jobs that people operate and many of them feed other sites as well as FR24 - a lot of these folk are also radio enthusiasts. There are also feeders that start with N - the only one in Australia that I'm aware of is N-YBTL at Townsville - they are apparently part of a world wide network of feeders. Yes it is quite common to see the same airport code and numeral used with both F and T feeders.

You would be contributing to MLAT where you are. You mostly see MLAT 1, 2 and 3 in Australia and I assume that the numeral indicates the server that is supplying the data. If I recall correctly there are also numbers 6 and 7 which are for MLAT data derived from certain T feeders - until recently MLAT was only gathered from F feeders.

You mention the mysterious RX feeders. What I can tell you is this:
      (a) RX is supposedly a temporary designation for a new feeder
      (b) in Australia I've only seen them in Victoria, specifically within about 250km of Melbourne
      (c) there is nearly always one visible, particularly around where you are and in Bass Strait
      (d) they never seem to resolve into a proper feeder code
      (e) the RX code changes daily.

I've mentioned this "phenomena" several times on this forum but nobody has ever shed any light on the reason. I have often wondered if FR24 use Melbourne to test some aspect of the program.

Great to see you on the forum. There are some good people on here so please keep coming back as you will read a lot of interesting stuff over time. Cheers. John.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys. It helps to fill in the picture of the ""inner workings" which I find very interesting. It is quite noticeable that there is a rapid uptake of ADSB in the small plane/private sector (admittedly not all providing the full GPS linked info). Ballarat has an airport extensively used for Ab Initio training, as well as private, agribusiness and firefighting purposes. The number of "new" sightings is rapidly increasing.
        The commercial sector also seems to be investing pretty heavily in the A/P region, with many new planes coming to Melbourne. Recession?.....Bah!

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X