No announcement yet.

Sydney Ground Vehicles Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just compared. Four ground vehicles showing on Planefinder, none on FR24.
    planefinder.jpg
    fr24.jpg

Comment

Just had another look on Planefinder. Now showing 8 ground vehicles.
      planefinder1.jpg

Comment

Maybe Mike or someone from FR24 can let us know if the newer Windows T-xxx feeder software can upload ground vehicles ADS-B Data.
        Will read the FAQ URL link Mike posted and search for the answer.
        Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
        [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

1.jpg

I guess that image answers the question.

Comment

That answers the question for AMS. Now to work out what the problem is with Sydney given that Planefinder is displaying them.

I have posted a question on the Aussie feeders forum. Hopefully a feeder from Sydney can shed some light on the issue.

Comment

Good old T-EHAM53 - must be the last T- feeder in the world using the old feeder software.
              Last edited by Kemistry; 2015-10-28, 06:46.

Comment

Sorry mate it doesn't prove anything for AMS. T-EHAM53 must be the last feeder using old software.
                All ground vehicles at AMS have that same Radar code and I can't find any other ground vehicles in Europe.
                Anyone else find any?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemistry View Post
                  Sorry mate it doesn't prove anything for AMS. T-EHAM53 must be the last feeder using old software.
                  All ground vehicles at AMS have that same Radar code and I can't find any other ground vehicles in Europe.
                  Anyone else find any?
                  A little closer to Sydney NZAA ground Vehicles.JPG

Comment

Most ground vehicles use a different DF packet type for sending their GPS coords. The old FR24 feeder software used to send that packet type as well as the DF packet type for aircraft-on-the-ground. But later versions of feeder software have been crippled to not send those ground vehicle DF packets. The DF packet type is one way that FR24 feeder software can “filter” the data. Those other DF packet types contain a lot of other rubbish that FR24 probably do not want (or to keep receiving and processing). So I can understand the filtering at the feeder software level.

It is possible that EHAM and NZAA ground vehicles are still sending the same DF packet type as the aircraft-on-the-ground so they still get to FR24 and show up. Maybe YSSY have just changed DF packet type on all their ground vehicles so they are no longer sent to FR24. However, be assured, the ground vehicles are still broadcasting their coordinates and T- feeders still have, and can view, that data. We just can’t get it to the FR24 servers for public viewing. In my experience, this positional data is accurate and I can speculate security reasons for not wanting this data in public view. Maybe EHAM and NZAA airports should be more worried about this?

One other possible reason that some feeders can still send ground vehicle data is that FR24-Support folks have released what could be termed “special versions” of feeder software that can send the DF packet type for ground vehicles, even after they started the filtering. As I remember, version 11-7 was a classic example but it was later found to be corrupted and might even have been sending false data. I was never prepared to continue to use that version but it will send and display ground vehicles for a short while. It is possible that some T- feeders were (and still are) using those special versions of feeder software. Maybe they have now upgraded to the latest feeder software version at YSSY and ground vehicles have disappeared.

I can’t find anything has been updated in the FAQs other than the usual boilerplate to explain the loss of ground vehicles throughout the world. Or anything about the DF packet types that they process or don’t process. I have concluded that FR24 no longer supports that previous feature. Maybe that’s a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]6542[/ATTACH]

I guess that image answers the question.
                      It doesn't say what feeder software it's using to upload to FR24.

FR24 staff needs to look at the raw data and see why it's not showing up.
                      Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2015-10-28, 16:54.
                      Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                      [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Originally posted by Kemistry View Post
                        ...In my experience, this positional data is accurate and I can speculate security reasons for not wanting this data in public view.
                        If the ground vehicles are still broadcasting the data then the suppression of it for so-called "security reasons", if that is the case, is a meaningless exercise unless FR24 have been expressly ordered to do so.

How can it improve security for FR24 to suppress the data when Planefinder is displaying it? Even if Planefinder also suppressed it, any hacker out there can purchase a $20 dongle and receive the data themselves without needing to use FR24 or Planefinder.

FR24 has an options setting to allow ground vehicles to be suppressed. Why can't the decision to display them be left to users via that setting?

Comment

BTW - here's an sample of ground vehicles from this morning (green dots).
                          The tracks left by Van190 are shown in black.
                          YBBN-7CF516-Van190-.JPG

Comment

So what is the story? Has FR24 secretly or accidentally dropped support for ground vehicles? If so are there any plans to reinstate it please?

Comment

Working...
                            X