How is feed data chosen by FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is feed data chosen by FR24

If this is answered somewhere I did not find it.

Why is it that I can have a ads-b broadcasting flight literally fly over my house but the web page consistently shows 2-3 other radars supplying the data.
    These radar sites are not close (they are private feeders) They show their nearest airports as anywhere from 80-100 miles away. I feel I am being skipped for some reason and am questioning my data. Is that possible?

I have tried to explain this several times, and I really don't know how to explain this. I will make
    another try. Lets assume we have 5 feeders in London. L1 L2 L3 L4 L5.

All 5 feeders sees BAW123 and uploads the aircraft to the server

L1 uploads at 12:34:50 and database is updated with L1 data + L1 radar code.
    L2 uploads at 12:34:51 and database is updated with L2 data + L2 radar code.
    L3 uploads at 12:34:52 and database is updated with L3 data + L3 radar code.
    L4 uploads at 12:34:53 and database is updated with L4 data + L4 radar code.
    L5 uploads at 12:34:54 and database is updated with L5 data + L5 radar code.

The data feed for FR24 www is generated at 12:34:54
    As L5 was the last one to send data before the feed was generated he will appear as "Radar" if you click on BAW123.
    The DOES NOT mean L1, L2, L3, L4 are broken, not feeding or have a software error. An aircraft can only be assigned
    to one feeder - the latest one. If your filter on L3, BAW123 will no be shown, as BAW123 is assigned to L5 right now.
    But once again, it doesn't mean it's something wrong with L3. This time the aircraft was last uploaded by L5, next
    time it might be L1, or L3 or maybe L5 again.
    All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

It is kind of gratifying to see your radar callsign in the box, but not that important in the scheme of things. Someone wrote awhile back FR24 is about planespotting, not radarspotting. Rest assured, if you have MLAT in your area your contributing a ton of data.
    F-KDAG1

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Reeves View Post
      http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...wfull=1#post18

It is kind of gratifying to see your radar callsign in the box, but not that important in the scheme of things. Someone wrote awhile back FR24 is about planespotting, not radarspotting. Rest assured, if you have MLAT in your area your contributing a ton of data.
      Thanks for your answer. I am feeding with a RasPi. FR24 uses that data for MLAT calculations also? I thought I had read where they did not.
      I have noticed some aircraft flying in my vicinity that are on the T-EST1 radar. I am assuming this is estimated.

Comment

Originally posted by Frazpo View Post
        Thanks for your answer. I am feeding with a RasPi. FR24 uses that data for MLAT calculations also? I thought I had read where they did not.
        I have noticed some aircraft flying in my vicinity that are on the T-EST1 radar. I am assuming this is estimated.

Oops. I assumed you have a FR24 box. The GPS antenna is needed for MLAT. Yeah, T-EST1 is estimated.

Was thinking about the ADS-B radar call sign never showing up. Most of the time I never see mine. But occasionally just about every ADS-b A/C in my range shows my call sign. Go figure. Must have something to do with how fast my ISP pings the FR24 server. Once in a while the packets find just the right route that beats the other 8 FR24 boxes in my area. RasPi is software based? Stuff running in the backround might slow down your packet upload. And your ISP might be just a bit slower than everyone else.

Kind of similar to 5 or 6 world-class athletes running a 100 yard dash. The strongest, most talented runner should win the most races out of 100. But every once in while a less talented runner will win.

Have you checked your ping rate at speedtest.net?
        F-KDAG1

Comment

" I have tried to explain this several times, and I really don't know how to explain this. I will make
          another try. Lets assume we have 5 feeders in London. L1 L2 L3 L4 L5.

All 5 feeders sees BAW123 and uploads the aircraft to the server

L1 uploads at 12:34:50 and database is updated with L1 data + L1 radar code.
          L2 uploads at 12:34:51 and database is updated with L2 data + L2 radar code.
          L3 uploads at 12:34:52 and database is updated with L3 data + L3 radar code.
          L4 uploads at 12:34:53 and database is updated with L4 data + L4 radar code.
          L5 uploads at 12:34:54 and database is updated with L5 data + L5 radar code.

The data feed for FR24 www is generated at 12:34:54
          As L5 was the last one to send data before the feed was generated he will appear as "Radar" if you click on BAW123.
          The DOES NOT mean L1, L2, L3, L4 are broken, not feeding or have a software error. An aircraft can only be assigned
          to one feeder - the latest one. If your filter on L3, BAW123 will no be shown, as BAW123 is assigned to L5 right now.
          But once again, it doesn't mean it's something wrong with L3. This time the aircraft was last uploaded by L5, next
          time it might be L1, or L3 or maybe L5 again. "

I am NOT convinced. Something is definitely wrong.

F-WSSS1 used to see the data feed on long range ( Dungun in East Coast of West Malaysia, Riau Islands in South China Sea & Bangka Belitung Island in the South ) and short range ( WSSS Ground Traffic - using a Panel antenna facing WSSS ) when I was the only FR24 box in WSSS.

As more FR24 boxes appears around the region, I noticed my range kept on decreasing until NOTHING is displayed by F-WSSS1.

Even Seletar Airport WSSL - which I can see the planes from my room window - is not fed into FR24.

A check under "My Account" showed NOTHING is fed into the server for hours. Contacted FR24 Support to inform of the problem and was told there was "something wrong" at the front end or something like that. Mysteriously, F-WSSS1 started to feed into FR24.

The same problem re-appeared a few days ago and Support was informed - then again mysteriously F-WSSS1 started feeding data - but I can see the range and number of aircrafts is reducing.

( I have checked my Antenna System many times and confirmed nothing is wrong ).

When F-WSSS1 was displaying nothing in FR24, I launched VRS and saw all the planes being tracked - between 37 - 50 planes ).

I might be wrong - Maybe ... its FR24's technique to "motivate" the new feeders how great their new feed is in terms of range ( at the expense of existing loyal feeders ) - correct me if I am wrong.
          Last edited by Birdie; 2015-05-08, 03:35. Reason: add " from my room window" in Even Seletar Airport WSSL
          F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Birdie,

I'm not exactly sure if it's the very same experience that you are seeing in your area but I and others have posted on various threads including those on the Aussie thread in recent times of aircraft either not displaying correctly or at all on the FR24 map. It seems to be in general around Brisbane and Sydney where there are many and various types of feeders. With the radar codes as they are it is all too confusing for me in this area around SYD from this end to know exactly what is going on. The glut of feeders in this area seems to be, in my opinion, interfering somehow with the map display. Perhaps the servers or software are like me and can only handle things up to a point before spitting the dummy (no multi-tasking here). Please check the posts out and let me know your thoughts.

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...Aussie-Feeders (towards the end pages)

I just want to see a better and more accurate FR24 map, and I would hope that in the process it may calm a few concerns of various feeders.

Regards,
            Gregg
            Last edited by fungus; 2015-05-08, 03:41.
            YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by fungus View Post
              Birdie,

I'm not exactly sure if it's the very same experience that you are seeing in your area but I and others have posted on various threads including those on the Aussie thread in recent times of aircraft either not displaying correctly or at all on the FR24 map. It seems to be in general around Brisbane and Sydney where there are many and various types of feeders. With the radar codes as they are it is all too confusing for me in this area around SYD from this end to know exactly what is going on. The glut of feeders in this area seems to be, in my opinion, interfering somehow with the map display. Perhaps the servers or software are like me and can only handle things up to a point before spitting the dummy (no multi-tasking here). Please check the posts out and let me know your thoughts.

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...Aussie-Feeders (towards the end pages)

Regards,
              Gregg
              Hi Gregg,

Thanks for your feedback.

It can be demoralising to existing and potential new feeders to see what is going on.

Maybe, the overwhelming success of recruiting feeders is overloading the front-end servers and the main server(s)/mirror server(s).

Let the experts in FR24 sort it out.

( I took screenshots of various statistics in "Your Account" - and was shocked to see NOTHING was fed into the server - Range = 0 nm).
              F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Just for the record I have great stats on the "my account" page. It just isn't making sense that a feeder 80 miles to my east is consistently feeding multiple adsb data from aircraft 80 miles to my west. I've watched the radar field toggle to other sites but not mine. At times when they are directly overhead. My setup I believe is at least average. 200+ miles in areas and nothing less than 100 in all directions. I have only noticed my site one time in the radar field. I really don't care, it just seems odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can understand how you feel... I am also feeding FR24 with a RPi, and also with good stats (for example, yesterday, 2,504 aircrafts seen, 257,711 positions reported, max range 250nm). But I very rarely see a plane with my radar code, and when it's the case, it's only for a few seconds

I read and understood how it works, and I am confident that my data is used, but it is nevertheless frustrating. It is, especially for the people like us who paid for their equipment, some kind of reward to see planes on FR24 with our radar code.

My ISP is not the culprit, as I have a 100Mb/s cable connection, and a very short ping answer, tested from the RPi...

Regards,
                  Patrick
                  T-LFSN4

Check your rank from FR24 feeder stats at https://jollain.com/FR24/stats.php

Comment

Word of warning guys.. keep flogging the horse if you wan't them removed completely. I know its a bad point of view, but what else is there to do.

Flightaware... doesn't show whos feeding on the main page - unless you look into historic data. And then it picks to display a single radar also.

I use to care, but have lead to just no longer worry. Now use my own data for my own purpose while it happily still uploads to FR24 in the background. if it's of some use, good. If not, so be it. Still gets the premium features as a thanks

If you are upset about not being highlighted. The only thing it seems you can do now is stop looking for it to appear

We're doing our individual bests to provide the data and range, we can't dictate how it's used.
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

My point was more of "Is my data being rejected for some reason?". Everyone likes the idea of participation however it doesn't bother me that much. I enjoy Radarview and the luxury of no ads and the stat page.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                        Word of warning guys.. keep flogging the horse if you wan't them removed completely. I know its a bad point of view, but what else is there to do.
                        Just randomize ADS-B data (Radar field only) with one line of code.

SELECT * FROM `Radar` ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1.

T-s and F-s treated equally, Everybody sees their callsign the same # of times, no mutiny, everybody's happy.
                        F-KDAG1

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Reeves View Post
                          Just randomize ADS-B data (Radar field only) with one line of code.

SELECT * FROM `Radar` ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1.

T-s and F-s treated equally, Everybody sees their callsign the same # of times, no mutiny, everybody's happy.
                          This would satisfy me.

Patrick
                          T-LFSN4

Check your rank from FR24 feeder stats at https://jollain.com/FR24/stats.php

Comment

Fire up VirtualRadar Server configure it with some good basestation data or even setup the auto feed with ActiveDisplayLite. Then you can always see your radar, run reports, change the colors, or whatever. You will then know your data is going into the mix to help the data. It's also all about data validation. The more feeders the better and it keeps the garbage data out.

Comment

I run VRS, however I am new to this and don't know much about the base station stuff or even what it is exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X